1.4TSI 150 economy

Liquid Tension

Feb 2, 2016
Hi guys,

Back when I was deciding which Leon to order, the urban figure of 47.1 mpg on the 1.4 led me to order as most of my driving is urban and this seemed a good performance.

Currently have 1200 miles on the clock and mpg around town is normally between 26-31...

Now I know driving style has a impact but I rarely drive with any urgency so am a little disappointed with this poor economy. Had I known the 1.4 would perform so poorly I would have order the Cupra as there wouldn't be much difference in mpg around town!?

Anyone else with a 1.4 have similar problems?

Thanks

Ricky

andrew_myers

Aug 21, 2015
I have a my16 1.4 tsi 150 fr and get anywhere from low 40s driving enthusiasticly to low 50s on an a road cruise. Long term average over 5500 miles is 43mpg.

Last edited:

Geobob

Jan 9, 2016
Mine has done just over 4000 miles now. Most of my driving is a mixture of urban and a-road. Initially I was getting about 37.5mpg per tank (actual, not computer). Now it seems to get in the region of 41-42 mpg. The computer reads higher than it is actually doing with my long term average from new being 44.8mpg and tank average apparently working out at about 46mpg.

If you are spending a lot of time on the cold warm up cycle this really won't be helping your mpg.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
That is pretty shite mpg for the 1.4 tsi. Mind you, if you're doing lots of start stop and short journeys around town, you're not gonna see great figures no matter how light you are with the right pedal. I get similar around town in a cupra but with the wave of torque you don't need to rev it around town. Can happily trundle around in 6th gear at 30 off boost.

Mpg will get better as you put the miles on plus this cold weather also kills mpg. May be worth getting it checked out if it is still poor mpg on longer runs. May be a sensor on the blink somewhere. What is your long term mpg showing? I would expect it to be high 30's otherwise yes you should have maybe bought a cupra :doh:

page3

Dec 25, 2015
My 1.4 with 2000 miles on the clock does around 45-55 mpg on daily commute of 50/50 motorway/local roads. Low 40's in traffic, 50+ on motorway if I keep under 80. Always turn the stop/start off and use 'normal' mode.

Last edited:

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
If your getting 33 from the 1.4 I wouldn't expect to see the cupra over 20!

I get 46mpg long term average from my 1.4 with a mixture of driving.

FamilyGuy

Apr 1, 2015
Long term average in my 1.4 is 43 mpg after 17500 miles. Might depend on whether your urban driving is constant start/stop or actually allows you to bumble along a bit. If you rarely get out of 2nd gear your mpg will be crap whatever you're driving.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Liquid Tension

Feb 2, 2016
Long term average in my 1.4 is 43 mpg after 17500 miles. Might depend on whether your urban driving is constant start/stop or actually allows you to bumble along a bit. If you rarely get out of 2nd gear your mpg will be crap whatever you're driving.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Exactly my point. If its going to be crap it might as well be crap with 290BHP..

Liquid Tension

Feb 2, 2016
The point is that if you are getting 50% of the official 1.4 mpg then you will likely see 50% of the cupra mpg, i.e low 20s.

Hmm that's true but I guess I'd hope with 30mpg being closer to what I'd expect a 2.0 to deliver rather than a modern 1.4 there would be less variance.

Also I don't see cylinder on demand doing much to my town mpg but with the cupra that wouldn't be a loss.

Am I being hopeful because I want more power? :/

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Hmm that's true but I guess I'd hope with 30mpg being closer to what I'd expect a 2.0 to deliver rather than a modern 1.4 there would be less variance.

Also I don't see cylinder on demand doing much to my town mpg but with the cupra that wouldn't be a loss.

Sounds like you want a cupra lol

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
After about 12 000 km (7500 km) I've been getting regularly around 6 - 6.3l/100km, which would be around 45-47mpg for you brits.
That's mostly urban driving, but there's a lack of stop-start driving. As there aren't many traffic lights around where I live. So smooth urban cruisin for around 60-70% of the time.

Mind you the mpg took quite a dive, when we had winter and below freezing temperatures. During the cold, the engine didn't get up to temperature for the ACT tech to start working even on my 20-25min commute to work. But during spring, summer and autumn the ACT keeps the fuel consumption nice and low.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
The point is that if you are getting 50% of the official 1.4 mpg then you will likely see 50% of the cupra mpg, i.e low 20s.

Mrs uses Cupra as her daily driver , 10 mile there and back commute through stop start Brum traffic, and we get 28-30. With slightly longer trips at weekends , we get around 280-300 to a tank. She had the opportunity recently to use my Passat for a few weeks, ( 140 diesel at the time) that didn't do much better than 34 on the same run, yet in normal, motorway thrashing use it'll do 50+ mpg.

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
Mine's averaging about 48mpg although often see over 50mpg (DSG). I can see just over 30mpg if only doing very short journeys (like shopping on Saturdays) but normal driving (commute is a minimum of 16 miles) and I'm back in the 45-55mpg bracket. Now got 16k on the clock and each time I fill up it says 520 miles range. It started at 450 miles soon after I got it, so it's getting better.

Empty motorways are bad for economy as your speed sort of creeps up, but in normal traffic and average speed camera areas (like the M6) keep it hovering around 50mpg. The cost of fuel for me isn't so much of an issue as it's a company car but the ability to do 500 miles on a tank means I don't have to fill up as often which is a convenience more than anything.

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
Revision - so far this tank I've averaged 51mpg. Long term looks to have reset..but sure it was about 49mpg

Liquid Tension

Feb 2, 2016
Mrs uses Cupra as her daily driver , 10 mile there and back commute through stop start Brum traffic, and we get 28-30. With slightly longer trips at weekends , we get around 280-300 to a tank. She had the opportunity recently to use my Passat for a few weeks, ( 140 diesel at the time) that didn't do much better than 34 on the same run, yet in normal, motorway thrashing use it'll do 50+ mpg.

All my driving is around the city (Plymouth) so this this the reason I wish I bought a cupra. May see if the dealer will allow me to swap although I'm only 2 months into the PCP deal

Geobob

Jan 9, 2016

To be honest I am not really seeing your point, you stated you rarely drive with any urgency and that you do mostly urban driving - in that case why do you need a Cupra with 280 bhp?

I know the answer to that in, the same reason we all want a Cupra even if in reality it does not make sense.:D

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
I don't do a lot of town/city driving and i'm getting around 47 - 49 mpg which is a couple mpg lower than I got in the 1.2tsi I had up till the end of last year, going on a long drive soon so ill see how it goes on that soon :)

Liquid Tension

Feb 2, 2016
To be honest I am not really seeing your point, you stated you rarely drive with any urgency and that you do mostly urban driving - in that case why do you need a Cupra with 280 bhp?

I know the answer to that in, the same reason we all want a Cupra even if in reality it does not make sense.:D

The 1.4 has little to give high in the revs. If I had a cupra I would have a great deal more fun in it :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.