1.4TSI 150 economy

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I don't use cruise control too often purely due to other road users on my particular commute having a distinct inability to maintain a constant speed and to rub salt in the wound I didn't plump for the adaptive cruise on my facelift which I'm now beginning to regret. Typical speed is a steady 45-60 over around 25 miles with a handful of roundabouts thrown in.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Random question on the 2 cylinder **** down. It obviously only works over a certain amount of revs but the car always tells me I need to be in a higher gear st certain points i.e. in 6th at 40 but this then drops the car out of the rev range for 2 cylinder mode to be active which suggests it's labouring and then surely using more fuel?

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Random question on the 2 cylinder **** down. It obviously only works over a certain amount of revs but the car always tells me I need to be in a higher gear st certain points i.e. in 6th at 40 but this then drops the car out of the rev range for 2 cylinder mode to be active which suggests it's labouring and then surely using more fuel?

**** down lol.

I don't think the gear shift indicator is set up properly to take in account for the cylinder shut down - for me it pays to stay in a lower gear to keep the revs higher and the 2 cylinder mode active.
I'd love too know the official line on this but it does seem like lazy engineering.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
**** down lol.

It was late at night, perhaps somebody was doing exactly that hence the typo. On the first read my mind autocorrect it as shut down :rofl: then I saw your post and did a double take. ahaha... anyway back to car topics, my 1 litre EcoTSI is about the same fuel economy wise over those conditions, but it's down 40PS, bah...should have plumped for the 1.4 EcoTSI.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
It was late indeed, typical the one time you want autocorrect and it doesn't bloody work lol.

I too tend to keep mine in the lower gear at higher revs to maintain 2 cylinder mode. You thought someone techy at seat would have thought of this when setting up the gear indicator wouldn't you?

silles

May 4, 2017
2 cylinder "**** down" :) depends on so many thing based on my experience:
- speed, i have seen it at 70-75, but not much above - because i never went faster than 70 ;)
- engine temperature
- engine load
- rpm cannot be to low/high ( unless engine braking )
- fuel, after I change to Tesco 99, i thought I lost it, but after couple of miles, it came back. i guess ecu had to re-adjust timings?
- so far eco/normal/sport mode make no diff whatsoever
- cruise control - so stable speed

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
2 cylinder "**** down" :) depends on so many thing based on my experience:
- speed, i have seen it at 70-75, but not much above - because i never went faster than 70 ;)
- engine temperature
- engine load
- rpm cannot be to low/high ( unless engine braking )
- fuel, after I change to Tesco 99, i thought I lost it, but after couple of miles, it came back. i guess ecu had to re-adjust timings?
- so far eco/normal/sport mode make no diff whatsoever
- cruise control - so stable speed

Ignore rpm and speed for me it's all about how much weight you keep on the accelerator, the lighter the throttle the more it'll stay in 2 cylinder mode - obviously gears help with that.

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
I've done about 7000 miles in mine from new now. Been using an app on my phone to track the mpg. I always brim the tank when I fill up.

The worst its ever done is 40mpg and the highest is 52mpg over a tank. The average so far is 44.4. The computer over reads by about 3mpg. When I got 52mpg, the reading on the computer was 55mpg.

I switched to tesco 99 about 3000 miles in and it seemed to make a difference particularly on longer journeys, but it could just be the engine loosening up I suppose.

I have the profile set to individual; sport mode on the engine, but eco on the cruise control. I use the cruise control most days. I do about 70 miles a day commuting, mostly motorway.

having gone from a 2.0 tdi mk7 golf, the drop in economy is about 20% average, but on a long run, difference is smaller, maybe 10%.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I've done about 7000 miles in mine from new now. Been using an app on my phone to track the mpg. I always brim the tank when I fill up.

I switched to tesco 99 about 3000 miles in and it seemed to make a difference particularly on longer journeys, but it could just be the engine loosening up I suppose.

having gone from a 2.0 tdi mk7 golf, the drop in economy is about 20% average, but on a long run, difference is smaller, maybe 10%.

Tried Shell Vpower 99 yet? I found on Momentum 99 on a different EcoTSI didn't show any more mpg than Regular branded 95. But on Vpower 99, difference is 5-7 mpg (according to trip Computer) on my usual routes like for like.

Also don't forget, petrol is couple of pence cheaper than diesel per litre in most cases.

I find that my mpg figures on my EcoTSI in the city (where I'm driving 90% of the time) is the same as my former TDI. So it's cheaper to run the petrol engine, except when on motorways at 70+ mph, then no contest, the diesel does easilly 55-62 (DSG) mpg at these speeds, where as the petrol (at least on a 1.0 EcoTSI) could only muster 48-53mpg average mpg according to the trip computer. I suppose your 1.4EcoTSI could do a bit better on the highway runs. As you said at highway speeds, you would do ~ 55mpg at least according to the trip computer.

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
Round here petrol and diesel are the same price. Sometimes it is 1p cheaper maybe. Momentum 99 is about 5p/l more than both

I may go back to normal unleaded see how it fares. I'm sure at some point I won't be able to find a Tesco to fill up at!

I would probably have kept diesel car if I was a private owner. For sure I do the miles and type of driving to justify it. But as a company car driver, the bik rate for the ecotsi was very attractive

silles

May 4, 2017
64.1 MPG the closest I've got to the official :clap:

Pretty boring Motorway driving on M4 back from Gower to London 60-70 MPH set on cruise

WVgtXUHwOY_V5FUsrMHsC7KJZSDo2_sOasW4e2JONaSVAGD-xPVpzvP6-zwufaxsS7ajBHl6vh0apPIPY8ZYparb1a4xTqJRQzI9W_VR167Vexp1aFP0AvQSLJr2hljCCQv3EN-nrYFpmzG4tUKvlMB2g9V0-vQEqAf-dak03HQONzkIiWVCptC3tnqRabc9gQj3CZenr-CZxzi4xxTAuZqIaEm34hm2WXmXs_jDWyDuCqZhSoFET0WgB8f-PNbwBBRk8Ko2zjVa7JDCoptA6_sLZ8uHZL-0JQBIciXP2WmcH0kr782_lobsOGSc4PrJNkSnXcJ80nRNFr1YMxlNTxTF37BrsFbBZ_Jaun5ZIxSSPueG1z93i4Q7Ffve9Oq5Cx8GpExGTbAlKouNBp3EmTrT_AGjeZckmJUzL9YhIgUrUIRNRodgXhw4aGngpAyY9hTL2mjNz-ihL7Ge6ZTFVSqK6QCSAVCNKtIBGJhA3KdlMl-p1_EEt0sPvBCl6oE-OlEK5iYWc6Iz22IF-01TbPCP6kfWh_iyhT6kadN-WXfc3jjgnOuIdKXubCbQcccszM7CQE15XFwNU1u4GYg6HFtq-F9VcUzpUBhreNSVQiQL8_igeiAqbiAxF4RHYhHDevkdlevHnAvqDiWKunssVimpVpH2ddrTCkTKcrAbNBTnN8o=w1752-h985-no

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
64.1 MPG the closest I've got to the official :clap:

Pretty boring Motorway driving on M4 back from Gower to London 60-70 MPH set on cruise

WVgtXUHwOY_V5FUsrMHsC7KJZSDo2_sOasW4e2JONaSVAGD-xPVpzvP6-zwufaxsS7ajBHl6vh0apPIPY8ZYparb1a4xTqJRQzI9W_VR167Vexp1aFP0AvQSLJr2hljCCQv3EN-nrYFpmzG4tUKvlMB2g9V0-vQEqAf-dak03HQONzkIiWVCptC3tnqRabc9gQj3CZenr-CZxzi4xxTAuZqIaEm34hm2WXmXs_jDWyDuCqZhSoFET0WgB8f-PNbwBBRk8Ko2zjVa7JDCoptA6_sLZ8uHZL-0JQBIciXP2WmcH0kr782_lobsOGSc4PrJNkSnXcJ80nRNFr1YMxlNTxTF37BrsFbBZ_Jaun5ZIxSSPueG1z93i4Q7Ffve9Oq5Cx8GpExGTbAlKouNBp3EmTrT_AGjeZckmJUzL9YhIgUrUIRNRodgXhw4aGngpAyY9hTL2mjNz-ihL7Ge6ZTFVSqK6QCSAVCNKtIBGJhA3KdlMl-p1_EEt0sPvBCl6oE-OlEK5iYWc6Iz22IF-01TbPCP6kfWh_iyhT6kadN-WXfc3jjgnOuIdKXubCbQcccszM7CQE15XFwNU1u4GYg6HFtq-F9VcUzpUBhreNSVQiQL8_igeiAqbiAxF4RHYhHDevkdlevHnAvqDiWKunssVimpVpH2ddrTCkTKcrAbNBTnN8o=w1752-h985-no

Wow and the official figures 'combined' are 60.1mpg or recently revised to 57.6mpg.

Isn't the 'new' revised 'extra urban' 64.1mpg? And you matched it over 200+ miles!

That means on my 1 litre I need to see 67-68mpg :cry: that's not gonna happen.

I really need to get myself one of these ACT engines next car round...hee hee

Best I did @ the same as yours 51-52 mph average was 58.5mpg, but of course only did ~ 40 miles.

SimonFR150

Aug 11, 2017
When I picked mine up the other day, the drive from Northampton to Dudley, about 75 miles, I managed to get it up to 60.3mpg, and it was still rising until I came off the motorway and got stuck in a load of traffic. The journey was pretty sedate though, with a lot of 50mph zones.

I managed to get 55mpg on a 30 odd mile journey back to Malvern today doing between 70-80mph. Which for a petrol, I think is pretty incredible. It's night and day from the 224,000 mile Mondeo I just switched from, which said it got 35mpg on a similar journey, but I'm sure was using more fuel than that. That's 20mpg difference or more, which is huge.

On the shortish journeys I've been doing on some country lanes, so far, even in sport mode, I've been getting around 52-53mpg. Though I haven't had the car long enough to make a long term judgement, obviously. One thing I have found is that the cruise control is very economical and manages to keep the car in two cylinder mode quite well, even on slight inclines.

I know you could gun a 2.0 litre turbo diesel down the motorway at 80 odd and still get around 60mpg, but considering how petrol cars were only a few years back, it's quite an advancement. But so far it's a +1 for the 1.4TSI 150 from me!

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
So like their BHP figures, Seat cars are also understating their mpg figures? :lol:

For me I'll be happy if i can match the claimed 'urban' figures, which is not too difficult to do..'combined' figure, ok, can be done..but gosh I need to be patient and have a featherlight foot,...but wow you guys can even match their 'extra urban figures!' well done! What's your secrets?

Last edited:

SimonFR150

Aug 11, 2017
It's not just heavy feet. You probably already know what I'm going to say, so I'll apologise in advance if I'm teaching a granny to suck eggs!

Light foot is one thing, but there's also how you use the throttle approaching junctions, on hills etc, as well as the rev range you change gear at. I had to try and stretch my old Mondy as far as I could since it seemed to drink fuel like an alcoholic drinks Special Brew! So I got quite adept at some of the hypermile techniques. I've found that a lot of folks think they have a light foot, when in fact they can be heavier on the throttle than they think they are being.

I think though that urban driving is difficult, and a tall order really. The mpg will take a huge hit if you are constantly braking and accelerating and never stop long enough to take advantage of the stop/start function. It's amazing how you can watch your mpg fall when sitting static in a queue.

HonestIago

Dec 12, 2016
7k miles on my 17-plate Ibiza EcoTSI 150 now and my average is sitting at 53.0 mpg measured using an app. The OBC over-reads by 2-3mpg as seems to be the experience of others.

The best I have had for a tank is 58.9mpg (measured) which was the one time I've used Shell V-Power. I plan to try a few more tanks to see how consistently better it is.

I do lots of 3-4hr journeys and generally sit at 56-62mph on the Motorway which yields MUCH better economy than sitting at 70 odd and is thus worth a few extra minutes on my journey. I'm also fairly fastidious about anticipating junctions/roundabouts etc so am far lighter on the brakes than the average driver.

As a point of comparison, I averaged 56.2mpg in my previous 1.6 TDI over 33k miles. The vastly improved performance and smoother engine make it worth the getting the petrol IMO.

ei2gfb

Leon FR 1.4 TSI
Dec 24, 2007
Best i can get is around 50mpg which is disappointing i think its down to poor fuel quality in northern ireland, thats on long motorway journeys on cruise at 72mph and running on act for most of it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Best i can get is around 50mpg which is disappointing i think its down to poor fuel quality in northern ireland, thats on long motorway journeys on cruise at 72mph and running on act for most of it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No Shell/BP/Esso there? Or they are difficult to come by hence supermaket petrol it is?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members