1.4TSI 150 economy

SimonFR150

Aug 11, 2017
I can't post up a picture as I haven't made enough posts yet. But I got 65.3mpg today on the car display over 38 miles.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

ei2gfb

Leon FR 1.4 TSI
Dec 24, 2007
No Shell/BP/Esso there? Or they are difficult to come by hence supermaket petrol it is?
No shell or bp we have maxol, texaco and topaz which took over from bp, texaco is best value but i find the maxol fuel slightly better maybe 53mpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Recently my mpg had decreased by about 10%. This Happened straight after I refitted my 3000 mile worn bridgestone as the rears were spent, it also coincided with my first ever tank of Sainsbury's petrol and a service at a dealers (hopefully no nasty software update).

Are worn tyres with less tread better for mpg?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Recently my mpg had decreased by about 10%. This Happened straight after I refitted my 3000 mile worn bridgestone as the rears were spent, it also coincided with my first ever tank of Sainsbury's petrol and a service at a dealers (hopefully no nasty software update).

According to Michelin...YES it gets more fuel efficient as it wears...

https://fleetworld.co.uk/changing-tyres-at-3mm-unnecessary-says-michelin/

Also what did you replace the Bridgestone with? Or rather what were the tyres coming off?

Last edited:

Orbiter

Orbiter
Apr 3, 2015

New tyres have a larger circumference i.e tyres get smaller as they wear down so this can make percentage differences in the readout of your cars m.p.g calculation. Older tyres will register a given distance as longer because of more rotations of the wheel to cover the distance. Maybe a bit of a small difference depending how finickety you are with m.p.g but might be the difference between getting a speeding ticket or not if you are near the speed limit?

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
According to Michelin...YES it gets more fuel efficient as it wears...

https://fleetworld.co.uk/changing-tyres-at-3mm-unnecessary-says-michelin/

Also what did you replace the Bridgestone with? Or rather what were the tyres coming off?

Cheers, that makes an Interesting read and confirms what I thought. It might be part of the reason why you see brand new cars mpg increase overtime, I guess it's not just the engine bedding in, the tyres need it aswell.

They were conti sport contact 5's that came off - they were just above 2mm. The shite Bridgestone are back on and they're like new :(.

k9aoc1

Sep 27, 2017
That would be correct

d4484e1a576ddd5b3df4f59a3f06addc.jpg
377cc8e5cbd4d63cdedb2b7eb4a28531.jpg

This was from my last one. 150 ACT. 55 mpg normal. The ridiculous 70 mpg was on a run from Stafford to Herts and the M1 was running at 40 mph for miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
My 64 plate ST has just reached 3 years old and gone through its first MOT at 32704 miles. I keep a book and record all the fuel that I use as well as the mpg achieved with each tank full.
Over the total mileage my average shown on the computer is 47.0, average when worked out old fashioned style is 45.53. I'm pretty happy with that as I don't do many long motorway runs these days and I also tow a caravan for about 1500 miles each year.
Car has been totally reliable apart from a few minor niggles. I've now had 3 shelf retainers replaced on the load cover blind, a door rattle sorted, the sticking hazard light switch fix done and one rear light unit replaced as it had condensation in it. All jobs done under warranty and without any problems or arguments.
Still very pleased with the car, will almost certainly keep it for another couple of years.
Conal

Mypifi

Oct 16, 2017
My fr 1.4 TSI dsg gets the following on 10 mile 35mph average speed to work.

Eco mode 54mpg
Normal. 46mpg
Sport. 34 mpg

I expect I could get up to 60mpg if I was more careful and in sport could easily be to heavy footed and bring it down to 29mpg

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Yeah that's why when the car tells me to change up to 6th at 40mph I ignore it as it then drops below the threshold for 2 cylinder mode and is surely therefore less efficient?

Question is, what’s more efficient? Being in a higher gear or ACT being active?

I suppose that depends on the road ahead and whether or not changing up will labour the engine.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gaffer1986

The other two cylinders take up the work. Slight efficency gains through less pumping losses and heat loss from the inactive cylinders. Essentially, it's more efficient to run two cylinders hard than four cylinders gently. The thermal efficiency increases as load increases. With an 8 cylinder engine there is more to gain as more cylinders to shut off.

Last edited:

arronleeds

Jul 27, 2017
I’ve had my 1.4 150 since July last year, I had it remapped but had a tyre that needed pumping up as it was about 10psi less than the rest, since that In decent weather I average about 38-40, motorway I get 47-50. But since the cold weather it’s been shocking, like low to mid 20s.

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Sounds very similar to my 140ps. Max I've had is 60mpg when I did a tank in w day driving around the UK. Computer average around town is 38-40mpg but fuelly app has it pegged at 36. 111,000 miles so far.

I’m not sure the Fuelly app is right. I’m on my third tank of fuel in my new Leon. OBD shows MPG as 45.1 but I calculated it manually and using a couple of websites as 43.21. Fuelly is coming up as 36. Strange!

It had some fuel in when I picked it up but I forgot what mileage I refuelled on, hence starting at 417 miles.

fcecbae0e2d85d0311233ab32d59d79b.jpg
985f1ebbd98c6dd42043fff17e4941cd.jpg

Last edited: