1.4TSi ACT - smokiness and tappet type sound

GaryPL

Apr 27, 2019
Hello,

Hope someone can help.

How smoky is the 1.4TSi ACT engine normally, please? It could just be the spell of cold weather but mine seems to be very smoky. To the point that I can even see smoke licking up in the rear window when going at 40mph. There's no particular smell to it, or colour.

The video was taken when the car is warm and at a couple of points during it, it almost seems like there's too much smoke. Most other newer cars don't seem to do this.

Also I gather that the 1.4TSi ACT isn't the quietest of engines either, and that even when warm, you get a relatively loud tapping noise at idle. Are there any views on this please?

Thanks all :cheers:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
There are certain climatic conditions in late Autumn/Winter/early Spring, in UK, where you notice more "smoke" coming from car exhausts - I noticed it with my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS yesterday even when the engine was fully warmed up.

I can't comment about how much noise there is at idle though. VW Group, especially with their smaller engines, don't seem to try to design them with idle noise as a priority.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
That isn't smoke, it's condensation. Perfectly normal in cold weather.

If it does it in warm weather, or it's blue or black smoke that doesn't evaporate, then you need to investigate further.

The valve gear can be noisy as the mileage goes up.

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
Mine same crap. Not just engine I believe the high pressure fuel pump noise sometimes.i feel power loose when the engine noise more than another day.seat say all good.cant wait to sell and no more vw.vw so stupid manage to build electric cars which broken down because motor failed.
Hardly any motor failure on another manufacturers.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Mine is the same as the weather is getting colder. I wouldn't worry about it unless it does get to the point where it looks like actual smoke ha.

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
My 1.8 tsi does the same when the conditions are right, especially on a cold start. I wouldn’t worry about it. Just check your oil/coolant levels regularly. If they are where they should be, you’ve got nothing to worry about.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Looks like cold weather condensation. It looks relatively clear, whereas smoke would be more opaque? My current car has split exhausts, and when reversing into my parking spot, I could usually see these 'condensation' steam, coming out the sides when looking via both my wing mirrors reversing, as well as in the reversing camera. Must be current weather conditions, been on other forums, which my curent non Seat car is part off, and suprise, same queries / concerns arise there!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Sorry, maybe I should have qualified or explained why I put "smoke" in inverted commas - obviously steam was what I was hinting at.

GaryPL

Apr 27, 2019
Thanks all for the replies and reassurances. I was surprised by the amount of smoke/mist/steam/condensate - have had a fair few cars and this one is the 'smokiest' by far! My last car had a FIAT multiair engine in. A very very smooth and quiet unit. So I guess I'm just still adjusting.

In answer to one question above though - 18 plate and 21k miles.

Thanks again.

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
It'll be condensation it's everywhere else cabin, headlights, rear lights etc

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
I have the same engine and it does it all the time, did it over summer occasionally and does it nearly all the time now in the cold and wet. I'm not losing coolant or oil and it doesn't stink of fuel so I'm not worried at all.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.