1.5TSI EVO Tuning

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
I have been through pretty much every option on the unit and i have never came across it. Maybe i missed it. Will check tomorrow and report back

i do not think boost level will change anyways even with the chip as its fooling the car. The chip will take the cars boost reading, say its 1.7 bar and turns that down to 1.5 bar so the car then goes oh no requested boost vs actual boost achieved is 0.2 bar of boost down. So then the car requests 1.9 bar of boost and then will see 1.7 bar of boost. You are actually getting the higher boost but the car won’t see it as its being fooled.

So in theory the car will still think its stock boost.
i have just taken those figures as an example. Or what i think will happen.

thats if the S box even clips onto the MAP sensor, might just be fuel pressure. Won’t know until it arrives
Yeah I suspect you’re right there...but worth checking if you have the option just in case.

Thanks for taking the plunge...I really hope it works out and will be following in the big mans footsteps if so!

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
Here's the answer on the RS non Bluetooth Vs Bluetooth.

Non Bluetooth has rotary dial:

product-rs-shop.png

Bluetooth version has no rotary dial so it's only app control:

rs-roentgen.png

I guess if you purchase thinking you can add Bluetooth later that's a no go because the casing and internal bits will be slightly different.

I'm leaning towards the cheapest one because I imagine once it's fitted and fine tuned to your liking it will probably not get touched again and minor tweaks as and when you fancy come from the Seat drive mode ?

Reactions: GeoffGeoff

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Here's the answer on the RS non Bluetooth Vs Bluetooth.

Non Bluetooth has rotary dial:

product-rs-shop.png

Bluetooth version has no rotary dial so it's only app control:

rs-roentgen.png

I guess if you purchase thinking you can add Bluetooth later that's a no go because the casing and internal bits will be slightly different.

I'm leaning towards the cheapest one because I imagine once it's fitted and fine tuned to your liking it will probably not get touched again and minor tweaks as and when you fancy come from the Seat drive mode ?
Yeah I agree..get it on max and just use the throttle to adjust or the DCC like you say :coolthumb

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
110% do not have that. All i have in that menu is

CONSUMERS
DRIVING DATA
ECO TRAINER
VEHICLE STATUS
Ahhh...maybe it is linked to the digital dash then.

No worries...like you say it’s more than likely unable to pick up any extra boost as it’s all post ECU trickery so the sensors likely won’t know the actual pressure readout like you said.

Anyway...hopefully when it arrives it makes some kind of difference :thumbup:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Ahhh...maybe it is linked to the digital dash then.

No worries...like you say it’s more than likely unable to pick up any extra boost as it’s all post ECU trickery so the sensors likely won’t know the actual pressure readout like you said.

Anyway...hopefully when it arrives it makes some kind of difference :thumbup:
Mechanical boost gauge plumbed in would tell you but my days of modding cars to that extreme are well and truly behind me

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Mechanical boost gauge plumbed in would tell you but my days of modding cars to that extreme are well and truly behind me
I know how you feel mate...body kits, exhausts, alloys, sub and stereo system, etc all well and truly behind me now...the Mrs and kids would soon sort me out if I was spending money on that instead of them these days haha.

Fairly sure I ca get away with a sneaky £119 though ;)

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I know how you feel mate...body kits, exhausts, alloys, sub and stereo system, etc all well and truly behind me now...the Mrs and kids would soon sort me out if I was spending money on that instead of them these days haha.

Fairly sure I ca get away with a sneaky £119 though ;)
Tell me about it

scroll down to the golf gt tdi on the gallery page http://www.thedervdoctor.co.uk/
that was my old mk4 :drive2:

spending money on cars is mostly behind me

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Ahhh nice mate...looked like you spent some dollar on the MK4!

I dread to think what I have spent over the years...defo can’t get away with that these days haha.
And about another 10 motors, the leon is the only car i haven’t touched (yet)

bought a house 2 years ago and the misses had a baby boy last year so bought a family car i wasn’t going to mod.... supposedly

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
And about another 10 motors, the leon is the only car i haven’t touched (yet)

bought a house 2 years ago and the misses had a baby boy last year so bought a family car i wasn’t going to mod.... supposedly

Comgrats on the nipper and house :thumbup:

Haha we’ll see how that pans out then (already modded as of next week haha) ;)

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Done a few runs today with a gps timing app, not sure how accurate is.

i only got 3 runs in. will hopefully do some more and get a more firm figure before the tuning box arrives. Times were

7.8s
9.1s
9.4s

book figure is 8.8s
Road was dry and its been warm today so no issues with traction. It’s actually not too much of a slug and gets up to 60 rather well. I would expect i can get constant figures of around 8 seconds, im thinking the 2 higher times were due to bogging / slightly too much wheel spin / poor clutch control

Last edited:

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
@BigJase88

Racechip have said in a message to me that both the GTS and RS connect to the throttle valve, turbo boost pressure sensor, manifold absolute pressure sensor and camshaft sensor.

In terms that a thick bloke can understand, such as me, this means good things?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
@BigJase88

Racechip have said in a message to me that both the GTS and RS connect to the throttle valve, turbo boost pressure sensor, manifold absolute pressure sensor and camshaft sensor.

Yes the more plugs the better as it will be controlling more signals.

i wonder what the S will turn up with, due for delivery on wednesday.

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
@BigJase88

Sounds pretty good in terms of connections and therefore what should theoretically be monitored and controlled.

I watched a couple of RaceChip vids and read a few of the plethora of reviews and it seems a pretty decent company and product to be fair for the money and suits a certain sector of the market...which even they admit in one of the videos.

Ok it’s probably not going to please your hardcore tuner or someone with lots of other mods who wants a perfect map but as a fairly inexpensive (plus easily installed/removed by diy’er) device it will suit many (and already does from a lot of the reviews).

They say they’ve spent over a year getting the 1.5 right due to the complexities of the engine...may or may not be true and may or may not have much relevance or mean it’s a decent product but if that’s even 25% true it shows some dedication.

Shame there are no publicised dyno results from the company as I think this would give a much greater marketing opportunity and remove some of the ‘smog of uncertainty’.

At the end of the day, it’s not a new technology...people have been piggybacking ECU’s since they were first introduced and...as with any product...you’d like to think that time has generally made them better, safer and more affordable.

As always, you pay your money and take your chance...only one way to find out...wait for BigJase to post back results :1st:

Reactions: ReddStripe

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Sounds pretty good in terms of connections and therefore what should theoretically be monitored and controlled.

I watched a couple of RaceChip vids and read a few of the plethora of reviews and it seems a pretty decent company and product to be fair for the money and suits a certain sector of the market...which even they admit in one of the videos.

Ok it’s probably not going to please your hardcore tuner or someone with lots of other mods who wants a perfect map but as a fairly inexpensive (plus easily installed/removed by diy’er) device it will suit many (and already does from a lot of the reviews).

They say they’ve spent over a year getting the 1.5 right due to the complexities of the engine...may or may not be true and may or may not have much relevance or mean it’s a decent product but if that’s even 25% true it shows some dedication.

Shame there are no publicised dyno results from the company as I think this would give a much greater marketing opportunity and remove some of the ‘smog of uncertainty’.

At the end of the day, it’s not a new technology...people have been piggybacking ECU’s since they were first introduced and...as with any product...you’d like to think that time has generally made them better, safer and more affordable.

As always, you pay your money and take your chance...only one way to find out...wait for BigJase to post back results :1st:

Yeah i seen that they bought an ibiza 1.5 tsi for the development.

i have a rolling road that is very close to me, i will most likely stick it on there. Its a dyno dynamics one so is pretty accurate.

im kindov thinking i should maybe of got the RS box now but i suppose if this one is good i could always uprate in the future and i’m sure someone will take it off my hands

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Yeah i seen that they bought an ibiza 1.5 tsi for the development.

i have a rolling road that is very close to me, i will most likely stick it on there. Its a dyno dynamics one so is pretty accurate.

im kindov thinking i should maybe of got the RS box now but i suppose if this one is good i could always uprate in the future and i’m sure someone will take it off my hands
If you got 30 days to return surely you could return and exchange for the RS if the S is a decent upgrade if it’s worth it? Might be happy with the S...not much in it on paper between the units...like you said originally for £119 it’s worth a punt.

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
I reckon the S will have the same connections too and it will just be the amount of settings that differs in each model. I've asked the question to them anyway but the proof will be in Jase's testing.

I'm still leaning towards the S because of the price but like the idea of app control. It's just such a massive jump in price for something that will in reality not be touched once fine tuned.

The only other thing I've asked is what effect of any the different driving modes will have on the tuning box. As @GeoffGeoff says they boast the 30 day returns period if you're unhappy so if all fails they will accept it back as not as expected.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I reckon the S will have the same connections too and it will just be the amount of settings that differs in each model. I've asked the question to them anyway but the proof will be in Jase's testing.

I'm still leaning towards the S because of the price but like the idea of app control. It's just such a massive jump in price for something that will in reality not be touched once fine tuned.

The only other thing I've asked is what effect of any the different driving modes will have on the tuning box. As @GeoffGeoff says they boast the 30 day returns period if you're unhappy so if all fails they will accept it back as not as expected.
The driving mode of the car eco / normal / sport won’t affect the tuning box as all these settings do is change the throttle response. Eco to the point where it will almost kill you.

roll on wednesday as i would like to know, im expecting the S model to turn up with only 1 connection, i will be expecting that and probably a little disappointed, as the more connections it plays about with the greater the result.

i have ran a TMC tuning box before and it ran 3 sensors, MAP sensor (turbo boost) MAF sensor (intake air) and i think the 3rd sensor was fuel rail pressure.

Don’t get me wrong a remap will give you better gains however both methods have their pro’s and con’s. Remap will give you more power but will be traceable and will affect a cars warranty should anything go wrong. A tuning box although a compromise on out and out power the positive is that it can be removed without trace and can sneakily maintain a cars warranty which is handy as all 1.5 tsi leon’s will still be under manufacturers warranty.

Also at the current moment in time remaps for the 1.5 tsi are few and far between and untested.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.