1.5TSI EVO Tuning

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Appears to have 3 connectors so initially impressed. Thorough instructions too, will post pictures later

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Not a great start loom has obviously been used before with a cable down to the copper and even some blood on a connector :-o

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008

The turbo boost sensor connector A looks like a PITA and from my mock up install before i think the connector will not fit still waiting for reply about damaged / 2nd hand loom. Other than that everything else looks decent enough quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt_anderson

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Keep going Bigjase88 , wiring looks very similar to the DTUK box I did a couple of years ago on a Astra 1.4t.
A bit daunting to start with but once done you should feel a difference.
After a few times of taking it off (for servicing etc) and then re installing it's easy.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Keep going Bigjase88 , wiring looks very similar to the DTUK box I did a couple of years ago on a Astra 1.4t.
A bit daunting to start with but once done you should feel a difference.
After a few times of taking it off (for servicing etc) and then re installing it's easy.
I had a go at fitting it got B and C plugs connected, managed to get A plug off but the Racechip connector would not attach, physical size is correct but there is a plastic tab within the plug in the wrong position so would not plug together.

as the loom was damaged i have since removed it and awaiting a reply from Racechip. I was just going to see if it actually worked and tape up the exposed wire in the meantime but have decided to wait instead

Reactions: pompeydave

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
Ahh is that what that silver circular thing is? A charcoal filter? You've got good eyes to spot that wire damage mate. It looks like it's well built though with mouldings to protect the loom where is branches.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Ahh is that what that silver circular thing is? A charcoal filter? You've got good eyes to spot that wire damage mate. It looks like it's well built though with mouldings to protect the loom where is branches.
Yeah you don’t actually need to remove that you can skip that step, is a little tricky with it in the way however.

i will query the connector A when they get back to me but from my initial observations it won’t fit where it is designed to, the plugs have little plastic tabs internal of them and on the 1 connector the tab is located in the wrong place so prevents you from plugging it in.

can you tell i am a sparky? I just taped it as i was going to try it as its just exposed copper basically it’s been nicked but when connector A wouldn’t plug in i just removed it and sent an email and i’m now waiting on some feedback.

it was developed on an ibiza 1.5 tsi, my thinking is they may have a different connector which is going to be an issue.

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
Haha. I was messaging them through Facebook messenger on their official page and replies were generally within a day. I'm having an oil leak looked at next week (at the transmission join with the engine) do will get mine ordered after that as it doesn't look like a quick job to fit or remove. I'm impressed with how it looks though.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Haha. I was messaging them through Facebook messenger on their official page and replies were generally within a day. I'm having an oil leak looked at next week (at the transmission join with the engine) do will get mine ordered after that as it doesn't look like a quick job to fit or remove. I'm impressed with how it looks though.
I deleted all my social media about 6 months back as I was spending too much time on them, now I spend too much time on car forums :roflmao:

hopefully will get a reply today was 3pm yesterday I messaged

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I now realise i was being stupid and had located the wrong sensor.

there are 3 sensors in the exact same location and as its down a bit in the bay they are hard to see and locate and the instructions / pictures are not very clear.

i would fit the box now but i wouldn’t want to chance it not with the wire the way it is, 2 or 3 strands of the cable core are broken and i wouldn’t like to chance it and have an electrical fire,

so looks as if all i need is a new loom and good to go.

if they don’t want the original back i may splice the cable and solder it back together tomorrow at work which will get it up and going in the meantime

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
I now realise i was being stupid and had located the wrong sensor.

there are 3 sensors in the exact same location and as its down a bit in the bay they are hard to see and locate and the instructions / pictures are not very clear.

i would fit the box now but i wouldn’t want to chance it not with the wire the way it is, 2 or 3 strands of the cable core are broken and i wouldn’t like to chance it and have an electrical fire,

so looks as if all i need is a new loom and good to go.

if they don’t want the original back i may splice the cable and solder it back together tomorrow at work which will get it up and going in the meantime
No reply yet?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I have repaired the loom and fitted to the car.

stuck it on max setting.

initial thoughts, if someone had fitted it without you knowing i think you would be hard pushed to notice or tell the difference, low down torque is no different (not that i could feel anyways) the car behaves much the same up until around 4k rpm, feels quite flat and sluggish, at 4k rpm then you do notice a difference until the redline, seems to have more go 3,4,5,6th up at the top end. Bottom end grunt you would be hard to tell the difference.

i did some basic timings

20mph to 80mph starting in 2nd and upshifting to 3rd

STOCK 15.08s and 15.35s
CHIP 11.16s and 11.83s

30-90 mph rolling in 3rd gear

STOCK 14.3s and 14.25s
CHIP 13.18s and 13.01s

now this is by no mean scientific, i did try 0-60mph but the difference is negligible and most of the time difference is on take-off.

If it was anymore than £119 i would be disappointed i think. It’s a mild increase and one that will most of the time go un-noticed. It certainly doesn’t bring a wow factor to the experience of driving a 1.5 tsi, i know the 20-80mph time difference looks good but you don’t feel that wow if you get me. Strange, maybe because i am used to having fast cars, i expected some sort of surge.

guess maybe expecting too much

i do intend to stick it on a set of rollers and you can unclip the racechip and they supply a bypass so you can return to stock tune without unplugging which will be handy

Last edited:

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
Sod it. I'm going to give it a shot and get one ordered. By the time it gets here my car will car will have been seen by SEAT. I'll PM you my email so we can share a beer through the referral fee. :cheers:

I can't see the more expensive boxes being drastically better really. Cheers Jase. Good write up.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Sod it. I'm going to give it a shot and get one ordered. By the time it gets here my car will car will have been seen by SEAT. I'll PM you my email so we can share a beer through the referral fee. :cheers:

I can't see the more expensive boxes being drastically better really. Cheers Jase. Good write up.
Yeah obviously it’s just been a quick test with it on, it is much much faster at silly speeds 70mph+

down low it’s not as noticeable but i notice that about the 1.5 tsi, you need to have to engine spinning high up the rpm to make progress, it doesn’t have much low end grunt.

the racechip does seem good quality, the instructions are quite good albeit i did get slightly confused on connector A. The harness looks good all the connectors are genuine VAG, just a shame mine had a bit of damage to one of the wires but i’m sure they will rectify that.

i actually phoned them today, get an answer straight away from a phone call rather than waiting on an email.

agreed i wouldn’t think the other boxes will offer much more oomph, i think you will be paying for more settings and an app that to be fair probably isn’t required. Mine went straight onto max setting as an example and will stay there

Reactions: ReddStripe
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.