1.5tsi or 2.0 diesel?

vectra

Sep 3, 2011
As per my other thread ( ateca spec)
I was going with the 2.0 /150 /dsg as I have had several diesel cars over the past 11 years .
Seat cordoba 1.4 tdi sport
3 x skoda Octavia vRS 2.0/170's
B8 passat 2.0/150
Currently Mk5 Mondeo ST Line X 2.0/150

My dealer is advising to me to seriously look at the 1.5 tsi dsg ateca instead of diesel, telling me I would be very surprised at how good it performs.
I am afraid I would miss the *push* in the diesel with the torque.
On saying that I seriously do not do enough miles to have a diesel.
I would also be looking at saving almost €2.5k by buying the petrol.

Whats the mpg like with the 1.5?
How are the on uphill pull?
Overtaking on motorway?
Thanks for any info.

Tell

Staff member
In 2016 I got the 4Drive 190 TDI DSG, at launch it was the only way of getting a 4Drive DSG Ateca although I have always been happy with diesel. No smell with SCR. I have read that people with their TSIs comment about pulling in snow, less grip since you haven't got the weight. But if snow isn't an issue. I needed 4Drive for a rural setting.

There have been some adverse reports on the net of the 1.5 TSI engine. It was held back from the Ateca until more recently installed on other VAG cars. 1.4 TSI was the order of the day for early Atecas.

You might not find too many people who can answer your question. I would do a power to weight ratio calculation to see what you are gaining or loosing from what you have and alternatives. I seem to recall I gained 40 percent from my old diesel Altea... something like that.

Petrol cars are lighter so you don't need so much power. DSG in principle should put you in the right gear. I never use the paddles / stick to change gear and keep it in normal drive.

The partners 1.0 TSI 3 cylinder DSG Arona is pretty purky.... you do wonder why you need the 4th cylinder;). That's been a surprise. It was very snappy on an overtaking manourvre recently. On the other hand my 190TDI DSG goes like a rocket but isn't so quite inside :). Was commented not as powerful as mine, it did purr thou whilst mine growls. :).

Last edited:

vectra

Sep 3, 2011
Thanks
I think I need to take a test drive in a 1.5.
It does indeed sound like a decent setup.

Reactions: Tell

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
I've had my Ateca 1.5 DCT for about a month now - it replaced a Leon 150bhp 2.0TDI DCT.
The 0-60 time for the Ateca is reported as 0.1 sec quicker than the Leon.
It is whisper quiet when driving normally, but put your foot down and in order to achieve the performance the DCT kicks down two cogs and naturally the revs head skywards - tempts me to use the paddles to change up tbh. I think the 7th gear is really overdrive as you get nothing in the way of acceleration from it - different to the Leon that would romp up hills in top (6th).
Other things - there's next to no engine braking from the petrol unit, it will not hold a speed downhill without braking and whilst my commute managed 60+mpg in the Leon, I've not yet got over 43mpg in the Ateca. 10p a litre difference at the pumps caters, but the range on your tank drops from 600 miles to 400.
Did I say it was quiet - it can get seriously illegal speed wise in the Ateca if you don't watch out, having been used to the diesel drone.....

Reactions: vectra and Tell
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise