1.6 cr tdi

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
As mentioned elsewhere I'm after changing my old Tolley 110BHP for a VW/Audi/Seat based on the A3 platform with a CR TDI.

I've tried 2litre PD in 143BHP but found no torque below 2000RPM.

Has anyone experience of the 1.6 CR at 105BHP ? Although this is 5bhp less than my Tolley the torque is more and comes in at 1500RPM.

Is this engine based on the 2litre block do you know ? Is there any loss in strength or durability ? Smaller bearings etc. Is it tuned to get 105BHP from 1.6 engine? (bearing in mimd the ethos of this engine is emissions and fuel economy)

Is it easy or wise to try and get 140BHP from it? (bearing in mind the loading due to the extra torque)

Does it have a DPF ?

Can you disable the 'Stop/Start' ?

Thanks
Paul

Deleted member 74601

Yes it has a DPF, and there is a button to disable stop/start.

There is only one company I'm aware that have managed to tune it yet, and it's Pendle Performance, and it's a bloody rip off. Over time they'll do it, but no one has figured it out yet.

I believe it is tuned to get 105BHP from the engine, as I believe Skoda has a 80BHP version as well.

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
I believe revo have cracked it now. Take a look in the mk5 ibiza section. There has been quite alot of talk about this engine in there regarding poor fuel consumption amongst other things. For the record i enjoyed mine but was so tempted by the cupra so got shut.

Deleted member 74601

As you can see from my fuelly, mine is getting much better.

I think the problem is people's education on the engine. Since I've got properly educated, I've had no issues getting good fuel economy, after it at first being poor. I do think I had a slight issue which sorted itself out, but as long as you drive it higher up the rev range compared to the old PD engine, you'll be fine.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
I thought that one of the assets of the 1.6 CR was the torque came on song at about 1500 RPM. Is the engine block of the same design as the 2.0 CR ? Does it suffer from the oil pump failure / porous head ?
Paul

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Do any of you guys that have a 1.6 TDI engine find it a disadvantage that it only has a 5 Speed gearbox ? Do you feel that when going at 70mph it has enough torque to pull a higher gear and could do with a 6th gear reducing revs and diesel consumption (and CO2 ?) ? For instance what RPM is it at in 5th at 70 ? (what is a 2litre at 70 in 6th for comparison ?)
Paul

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Do any of you guys that have a 1.6 TDI engine find it a disadvantage that it only has a 5 Speed gearbox ? Do you feel that when going at 70mph it has enough torque to pull a higher gear and could do with a 6th gear reducing revs and diesel consumption (and CO2 ?) ? For instance what RPM is it at in 5th at 70 ? (what is a 2litre at 70 in 6th for comparison ?)
Paul

Deleted member 74601

I thought that one of the assets of the 1.6 CR was the torque came on song at about 1500 RPM. Is the engine block of the same design as the 2.0 CR ? Does it suffer from the oil pump failure / porous head ?
Paul

I don't think anyone has any idea regarding the pump. Nobody on here has one with high enough mileage, I've not seen anyone with over 20k on one. According to the manual the highest torque point is 1500RPM, but I would never let the revs drop any lower than because it struggles below 1500RPM.

Paul

No, I don't. I have the Ecomotive which has extended gears, so at 70mph the RPM is around 1950RPM. I can't touch 5th gear until around 56/57mph because the RPM is too low and the engine struggles. I doubt they can reduce the CO2 anymore as the Ecomotive already does 99g/KM thanks to the start/stop. The normal 1.6TDI is 109g/KM.

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
I went to look at an A3 with a 1.6 TDI CR engine today, I got one of our friendly motoring organisations to carry out a check on it and although the car is currently in good nick (38000miles) they had alot to say about TDI engines generally and specifically about the A3's. What they said was to steer clear of TDI engines in Audi's because of the large number that had problems with Oil pump failures due to "chain drive" to the pump drive that needs to be replaced by a "shaft" drive. I checked this with my local Independent Garage man & he confirms he's had plenty through at about £2000 repair costs on 2.0 TDI's ! Has anyone else had experience of this ? (He said stick to my old Seat 110 non-PD)
What I can't understand is why a problem with Audi are not all TDI engines of the same spec regardless of Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda ?
I've said all along I want another TDI because of how good mine has been over the last 11 years but I'm told that there are so many sensors/DPF etc to keep emissions down in modern TDI's they are so suspect to failures.

Paul

Deleted member 74601

Note that your mechanic said 2.0TDI, not 1.6TDI.

They are different engines, you cannot really compare them.

Also are they talking about the 2.0TDI PD or the 2.0TDI CR. All the problems you seem to describe are from PD engines which bear no relevance on the CR engine design.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com

Also are they talking about the 2.0TDI PD or the 2.0TDI CR. All the problems you seem to describe are from PD engines which bear no relevance on the CR engine design.

exactly, the problem the AA or RAC man was refering to only really effected the inline audi a4/6 2.0tdi pd engines. they used the most rediculous oil pump/balance shaft combination and they failed. you could either fit a new oil pump drive shaft or convert the oil pump from one form of drive to another.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I still think your mad wanting to get rid of a 110 bhp tdi. What's your engine code? If I could get back my 110 bhp leon back tomorrow I'd sell the wife to do it. Well nearly, she doesn't burn as much fuel to keep me warm at night. A kidney will have to do instead.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
The reason for my above post is :-

0-60 mph 7.5 sec
0-100 mph 20.5 sec

top speed's a bit pants @ 126-130mph

more importantly 50-70 mph 4th gear 4.5 sec
50-70 mph 5th gear 5.5 sec

And all this with long distance economy at 70.9 mpg

All day everyday sort distance journeys with the right foot seeing the shagpile more often than not returning 42mpg. If I had have drove it easy like a normal person I could've got 48 -52 mpg for local driving. I know the book gives it as 42-44 mpg but it's how you drive that counts.

Deleted member 74601

Considering my CR engine 105BHP is something like 12 seconds, I doubt it.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
0.216um bossio injectors, 3 bar map sensor and tunning box, that's all. Her kerb weight fully fuelled was 1289 kg. top gear was slightly shorter at 28 mph per 1000 rpm versus the usual 30 mph. But that's not going to help 0-60, just in gear in fifth acceleration. That was with 225/45/17 tyres. The wet was a different story. 384 nm of torque makes for 8.9se 0-60 mph in the wet. Lead feet.

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
0.216um bossio injectors, 3 bar map sensor and tunning box, that's all. Her kerb weight fully fuelled was 1289 kg. top gear was slightly shorter at 28 mph per 1000 rpm versus the usual 30 mph. But that's not going to help 0-60, just in gear in fifth acceleration. That was with 225/45/17 tyres. The wet was a different story. 384 nm of torque makes for 8.9se 0-60 mph in the wet. Lead feet.

Ah, with mods and circa 140-160bhp then its believable, I thought it was standard.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
At the last count she was doing 7.8 in the dry with the tunning box turned down a bit and rolloing roaded at 158.7 @ 3430 rpm and 281.5 lbft @ 2745 rpm

That doesn't tell the whole story though. The meat that you get right off the idle is very good and builds strong from 1500 rpm. Brilliant engine, not enough traction. A 110 bhp tdi quattro was done in the audi A4, not sure about A6, and that was probably an AFN engine but it would be a good starting point.

Last edited:

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton

So was there any known problems with the 2.0 CR even in the early days (58 - 59 Reg) ?

Am I right in thinking that there is some longwinded way of driving the Engine oil pump ? Is the cambelt still 4 years change like my current TDI ? as an vehicle I get will be 4years old.

Paul

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members