1.6 eco or 2.0 diesel?

martin.cat

Hi there

I have decided to purchase an Altea XL and the only dilemma i have at the moment is the engine

1.6 Ecomotive or the 2.0 Diesel

What are the opinions of others why did you opt for the one you did and do you have regrets?

I am not after a speed machine so the 105 BHP seems ok as long its no lame duck

MPG wise the both are in the high 60s for Extra urban though the eco is better on the urban.

My mileage is mostly urban so the eco does seem better

Are the differences that noticeable and do both engines deliver close to the stats?

I do intend to test drive both but would like to get the heads up in advance

Thanks

Martin

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Having driven both engines a lot recently... the 2.0 wins. The 1.6 just isn't as economical as the figures suggest.

DACA

Mar 7, 2011
Garstang Lancs
1.6 is ok not a speed breaker. Mpg less than suggested by SEAT. cheap road tax £30. Lacks power at times. Fine on M-way. Better after a run best indicated 60mpg - measured 52mpg.Altogether its a nice roomy car tax really good fuel average. Tyres wear too soon on both axles due to poor settings from new.

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
some thing else to think about is the turbo on the diesel , it needs a good thrash every now and then to make sure the vanes dont stick so if you just poodleing around the petrol may be a better option for you

i have 2.0 dsg & its a fab drive loads of pull but needs to be floored every once in a while

mm

martin.cat

Thanks for the replies still pondering but thinking of the 1.6 eco

I had a drive of one yesterday and was happy enough with pulls well enough away and was actually quite quiet

It will get thrashed at weekends and if the economy is good i am more likely to go on longer trips with the family.

Checking out the slightly usedmodels at the mo and will probably opt for an SE but annoyingly Seat have made a few things optional extras eg reversing sensors (wife wants) rear tables and blinds and no slightly used cars seem to have them

Johnersh

Apr 13, 2011
annoyingly Seat have made a few things optional extras eg reversing sensors (wife wants) rear tables and blinds and no slightly used cars seem to have them

Whilst I think as a general rule factory fitted sensors are probably more reliable/sensitive, you could always have sensors retro-fitted. Seat offered to do such an install for me when I was considering buying a car already on the system as supposed to specc'ing my own. Would be cheaper than a full convenience pack too.

martin.cat

Garage are fitting rear sensors but retrospective fit is 250 convenience pack is 191 and includes auto wipers and other stuff. Tables and blinds are part of family pack and I guess will cost a few quid retrospectively as you will need new door panels and different seats? So not bothered but having a 1 year old would have been good. They were standard on stance but not on SE

Johnersh

Apr 13, 2011
£250 for the retro-fit. ouch. Possibly worth it if the car was a load cheaper. I quite liked the 1.6 eco, but am less keen on the 15 week delivery time from new.....

martin.cat

Yes the delivery time isn't good

Got a 60 plate 1.6 Eco SE, 2k on clock for £14k with 2 years free servicing so am happy with that just a shame that even the top model dosn't have all the kit

martin.cat

Well i picked up the car yesterday so once i have had a couple of weeks i will let people know my thoughts. First impressions are that it drives well pulls well on motorway was doing 90 without realising so then set cruise control. Fuel economy dont seem to bad. It was rock bottom empty and put £25 worth of diesel @ £1.39 litre (no choice) and after 80 miles of driving its still saying 165 mile range and that was a mix of a roads townsand a few miles on motorway

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.