1.6 egr!

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1' started by marcuswomersley, Nov 11, 2010.

1. marcuswomersley

marcuswomersley Full Member

My engine sometimes lags, and stutters when i hit the throttle from low revs, i have the feelin this could be the egr valve sticking, would i be right in thinking this?

2. Muttley

Muttley Catch that diesel!

Disconnect the vacuum line (and plug it to stop the leak) and see if the problem goes away.

3. marcuswomersley

which bit is the vacuum line? Thanks

4. PID

PID Full Member

mine also has this problem in low revs seemed like it hesatated a little bit i changed the injectors on mine and it seemed to sort the problem dont no if this will be any help to u .
    PID

5. marcuswomersley

what injectors did you change them for?

6. PID

PID Full Member

just new pair of standard ones crnt remember what they were called like but it did fix it on my 1.6

7. marcuswomersley

8. leon cupra r

leon cupra r Back in an LCR!

I know this is from a few days back now and that injectors were going to be looked at instead, but for anyone reading in the future - EGR valves are only present on diesels arent they? and Muttley as he only has a NA 1.6 there will be no vac line?

9. Muttley

leon cupra r wrote

I know this is from a few days back now and that injectors were going to be looked at instead, but for anyone reading in the future - EGR valves are only present on diesels arent they? and Muttley as he only has a NA 1.6 there will be no vac line?

Many petrol engines, including some of the 1.6 engines found in the Leon, have EGR. BCB, AZD, AUS and AKL engines have EGR, AEH doesn't.

Vacuum is used as source of power for actuation and control on very nearly every car in existence. All Leon's use vacuum assisted brakes, for example. In a petrol car the source of vacuum is the intake manifold, downstream of the throttle valve.

As for the original question, I was hoping someone with a 1.6 would step in. As far as I can tell, the EGR valves on the 1.6 engine are located on the exhaust manifold. Look for a small unit attached to the side of the exhaust manifold. It will have two pipes attached, one going to the inlet manifold and a narrower one going to a solenoid valve - this is the vacuum line, controlling the valve. To test if the EGR valve is causing your problem, detach the vacuum line and tape it up out of the way, plugging both open ends with cotton wool, tape or any other suitable plug, to maintain vacuum and to stop dirt getting in. You may well get the Engine Management Light illuminating on the dash when you do this.

10. marcuswomersley

Hi Muttley, Ive looked at my EGR and the small air line goes to know where, it just danggle down next to the gear box.. Is that not right? Thanks

11. leon cupra r

leon cupra r Back in an LCR!

Fair enough, looks like I stand corrected! :redface:

12. Muttley

marcuswomersley wrote

Hi Muttley, Ive looked at my EGR and the small air line goes to know where, it just danggle down next to the gear box.. Is that not right? Thanks

Certainly isn't right. It does mean your EGR valve isn't sticking though, it isn't being moved at all.

The vacuum line should go to a small solenoid valve. It's probably on the bulkhead and should have three vacuum/air lines and an electrical connector. On the 1.6 I think that the air line breathes through a small filter right next to the solenoid valve. I've not looked under the bonnet of a 1.6 though, so can't be much more help without pictures.

Could really use some help from someone who has a 1.6 here.....

13. Irie

Irie Full Member

This is all I have to hand at the moment, is it any help?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. FASTER

FASTER Full Member

it has a non return breather valve on it from what i remember! liitle black tube and that on the end! Bloody things are nothing but trouble! forever burning out:censored: