1.8 16v Won't Start

sirjimalot

JIM-MAN
Aug 10, 2005
County Durham
Just finished putting an ADL motor in my mk3,

Made a loom etc. and it fired up straight away, but since then it hasnt fired.

It will fire by squirting brake cleaner into throttle body,

I have checked all Vacuum's and ISV.

I have spark and fuel flows out the fuel pipe when disconnected.

Could this be a fuel pressure problem or maybe a crank sensor issue???

Fyi i pulled the plugs out after trying to get it going for a while and they were dry as a bone.

Any help appreciated.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
It will fire by squirting brake cleaner into throttle body

Fyi i pulled the plugs out after trying to get it going for a while and they were dry as a bone.

sounds like it needs fuel then >?

not got the fuel pipes supply/return mixed up possibly?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
:) sorry had to ask - easily done :p

next thing is to check fuel is appearing at the pipe end, with ignition on should get a primer 'squirt' for a second quite a healthy one in fact

either that or try it gravity fed - at least if it runs/fires up you will know fuel's getting through

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
well at least you are getting a good squirt so all good up til there and you got a spark too you said

only thing holding the fuel back now is injectors/wiring/operation - got a multimeter ?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
a good visible squirt should at least give you something to fire on though mind

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i wonder if the pressure regulator is jammed open ?

i always thought the fuel went to injector side first to allow pressure build up then vacuum control released it back to tank but never looked that close in all honesty

doing ya box in yet ? :)

ooh saying that - as it's such a big job have you vag-com'd it at all ?

sirjimalot

JIM-MAN
Aug 10, 2005
County Durham
Yeha it goes straight into the rail to theinjectors and the regulator is controling return from the vacuum and constant pressure, might be worth trying another FPR.

Yes it is very much so. ijust want it done, then i have to build my exhaust and job done!

I havent vag com'd it yet no

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
just a thought as it might list any signal drops elsewhere, can't think of much else affecting fuel but worth scanning at the least

coil ? my car had dodgy coil and wouldn't run without full throttle yet was getting fuel and spark fine and dandy on testing

sirjimalot

JIM-MAN
Aug 10, 2005
County Durham
i thought of that too, i thinktonight my port of calls are gonna be FPR and then coil and just see what happens, its just really bugging the life out of me now,

Thanks for all the advice btw Fl@pper its much appreciated

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
no worries just going over idea's of things to try as i would if i was there

it's man made so it's fixable somehow don't worry :):)

sirjimalot

JIM-MAN
Aug 10, 2005
County Durham
ok so found out why it wouldnt start,

Pulled the dash back out and i could see a plug at the back fusebox looked to be in at an angle, i think when i have been tucking the wires up behind the dash it has just pulled it out a little,

so i thought cool thats all it was,

WRONG:

Now it will fire up no problem, run for a second then cut out Like the immobilizer does on a mk3,

I plugged diagnostics in to clear immobilizer codes did that didnt work, and it wont recognise the engine or communicate with ecu because of my 'Custom' looom

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
there are ways round that by getting the immobiliser removed from the ecu itself but takes time and money of course

what sort of goings on you got involved in your loom ?

immobiliser in key is read through the reader coil on ignition barrel so check thats plugged in properly too of course (same area as above) but from memory the immobiliser unit is intergrated in the instrument panel in the mk3 as well which won't help ecu wise either

i have a number for an ecu guy who can remove the immob side of the ecu - did a leon one for us a couple of years back when my mate stuck a 20vt in a corrado

sirjimalot

JIM-MAN
Aug 10, 2005
County Durham
ah right, yeah i know the clocks in the mk3 are coded but i dont suppose that will really matter now, i have my sparky who helped with the loom coming outt in the next few days to have a gander.

I was so excited when i saw the plug last night only to be shot down by technology once again.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members