1.8 20VT MK2 Ibiza Conversion GT2871RS

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
Well, the big intention for buying the cupra was to eventually put the 20VT lump into it... so over the last month or two i set out to do just that...

Big thanks to Ben (Roly) BTW for his help throughout... i have been angging him a lot so definitely worth a mention for him. Thanks again mate

It is really just a load of photos but its an inspiring bunch of photos at that

Ended up buying an AGU large head engine, that had just had the head re conditioned. Bought the engine with all anciliaries and turbo, intercooler, and ecu so was really just a case of fitting it all together :) ...in way.

So got the engine and proceeded to give it a good overhauling as it had been sat for a year or so doing nothing...

CIMG4877.jpg

Gave the block a lick of paint

CIMG4882.jpg

and stripped all the crud off all the ali parts and cleaned and repainted water lines, brackets etc

CIMG4883.jpg

cleaned up the cam shaft as that was seeing some surface rust from being sat

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

replaced the water pump for the metal impeller one

DSC00165.jpg

re-honed the cylinders as i was replacing the rings so needed to be done,

DSC00189.jpg

DSC00187.jpg

Last edited:

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
DSC00190.jpg

Cleaned all the sump out to get old oil out... just petty things but theyre fun to do anyway :)

DSC00191.jpg

then rebuilt the engine back together with new gaskets on everything and new head bolts etc, replaced all bolts on the engine with stainless allen heads and all studs with stainless studs...

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

back to the car i replaced the standard rad fan with a twin slimline unit to give me a bit more clearance for the engine fitting and the intercooler which was to sit behind the F2 front bumper.

Old rad fan
DSC00277.jpg

new rad fans
DSC00280.jpg

Got me an extra couple of inches behind it.

Then to fit the intercooler, all this while the old engine is still in so i can still drive the thing around by the way...

chopped the old radiator mounts off

DSC00281.jpg

DSC00282.jpg

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
and mounted the radiator an extra inch or so back so i could fit the intercooler infront of it

DSC00284.jpg

This is a trial fit of the intercooler and a shot of the now not so much clearance of the rad fans to the engine :)

DSC00285.jpg

DSC00286.jpg

DSC00321.jpg

Then the most dreaded bit... no turning back now as i pulled the old engine out :(

DSC00322.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

Engine loom
DSC00320.jpg

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
seperated the gearbox from the old engine as im mating that to the new engine to save me replacing driveshafts etc etc...
As youll see towards the bottom of the next photo, there is an extra hole i had to drill in the casing, this is because the engine and gearbox bolted through all other holes but this one, so i drilled an extra one as opposed to leaving it out...

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00325.jpg

Mated the box to the engine, and dropped the lot in the car...

as easy as it sounds... not at all but the concept isnt hard ;)

Also had to get a new bracket for the engine, as i needed a power steering pump and the one that the engine came with didnt have one

zwl0ec.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

Then proceeded to plump in the pipe work and intercooler

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

DSC00343.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

Had a few issues with the water hosing plumbing as the engine cames outside the car with minimal pipework for the water system so i had to explore SCN and shows looking for the same engine... when all faith was lost the last car i looked at at modded nats was an orange golf with 2 of them in it lol

So got tonnes of photos and then plumbed all that in aswell.

Last edited:

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
Then got a downpipe from a mk3 ibiza from a guy on here (Godzuki thanks ;) ) and welded a small spacer to the end of it and a flange to bolt to my existing mk2 system. Its a 2.25'' system so not ideal for the engine but will do for now until i get a new one :)

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

Also got a standard charge pipe off him as there was no room for pipework to be made to fit under the bonnet so i got that and used that from the turbo over the engine.

I dont have any photos of the ecu or wiring for that but its a system bought from Quantum performance engineering, using an MBE 992 ecu with modified standard loom to suit.
heres a pic of the ecu anyway

MBE992%20ecu.gif

and then after a bit of fettling the car was done... just needed a new windscreen for the mot and that was it... :D

Finished product pictures

24-1.jpg

25-2.jpg

26-1.jpg

The red charge pipe will be replaced with a blue one, and same for the little red ones on top of the engine... i had to use these as these came with the engine and wanted to get it running before buying little bits like these

The only problem i had with the mot was the emmissions as they were sky high and originally the engine ran like a sack of shite, but found the problem out after buying the lead to hook the ecu to my laptop which turned out to be a bad connection of one of the wires to the coolant temp sensor...

oh... and then the starter motor decided to give up on me so i had to buy another :p lol
typical

Heres a list of bits to get you started if you fancy doing it... theres obviously going to loads more but this is a list i made up anyway... most things are covered

All the anciliaries from the mk3 engine, like alternator, powersteering pump, tensioners etc
Replace all the belts while its out
mk3 ibiza rear engine mount bracket
mk3 ibiza brake servo/master cylinder
front mount intercooler
plenty of samco hoses for charge pipes
(as far as i can remember ive used all 2.25'' hoses [2x 45 degree hoses, 3x 90 degrees 1x 2.25'' to 2'' 45 degree reducer hose and then just a length of 10cm 2'' hose to join the charge pipe to the turbo, and a length of 30cm 2.25'' pipe to join the steel pipes together.
stainless steel pipe
(Around 1m of 2.25'' pipe and 1x 2.25'' 90 degree bend in stainless

(Dont hold me to those but thats what ive used)

All metal hose clips to join the pipes together
sparkplugs oil etc all servicing stuff
new drive shaft bolts
mk3 ibiza downpipe
New waterpump
Charge pipe off the original engine
(depends which side your throttle body sits on, mine was on the drivers side of the engine so i opted for a charge pipe from a Golf which comes over the top of the engine to the passenger side, meaning i could plumb my intercooler easier.)
all gaskets

Last edited:

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
i sometimes wish i had gone for that route but unforuntly im not that brilliant at mechanics.. ive learnt so much tho and not bad at it now considering im only 20 and a postman! lol

my dad and uncle have helped alot but they couldnt give me much time on this as they had other commitments else i would of had 1.8t but its all the fiddly bits that takes the time....

if anything of what i just typed makes sense i shall eat my hat! haha

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
You certainly done alot more than me, i just pulled one out and threw another one in, it's looking good tho mate and im loving the bumper and intercooler looks mean

Let the begining of the downward spiral commence, i gaurantee you'll want more power before the year is out ;)

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
The intercooler looks good behind the bumper, i think i'd probably put a black hose on it or keep the red as it matches the 16v badge. As Ben's already said, you'll want more power soon!

Carfanatic.nl

www.Carfanatic.nl
Jun 16, 2008
Swifterbant
www.Carfanatic.nl
Im so jealous :)!!!!

Im doing the same in holland.. and im bit of rooki. :(
Do you have msn ? Ive yes can i add you please PB me !

Your engine and car looks perfect !!!

I Have a lot of question to ask to someone like you !

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
nice work mate and good work well ben has realy started something off hasnt he!so what else you got planned
oh and i love the look of it from the front

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
nice work mate and good work well ben has realy started something off hasnt he!so what else you got planned
oh and i love the look of it from the front

Thanks for all the comments good people :)

and for future plans... I was hoping to go GT28RS but well have to see how much money i have after a few months... still wearing this one in yet so i havent actually had chance to boot it :(

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
********** UPDATE **********

Well the engine has now been upgraded with a K04 turbo, with map to suit running circa 270 / 280bhp :D

The engine developed a rattle so i replaced the whole bottom end and also did the upgrade at the same time.

List of upgrades includes:
- S3 inlet manifold, converted to cable throttle
- S3 injectors
- S3 K04 turbo
- QPENG K04 remap
- 2.5'' turbo back exhaust (no cat)
- Samco TIP
- BMC CDA Air filter
- Uprated VR6 / G60 clutch cant remember which it was
- Fully cleaned and sprayed engine bay
- Battery relocation to the boot
- Gauge pod made

And some photos of the progress

Cleaned Engine Bay
jjbgv5.jpg

Engine out new turbo fitted
izp351.jpg

Engine in
35kmnn8.jpg

Inlet with bracket welded to it for throttle cable
2yxq5oz.jpg

Battery relocation (also upgraded to 400A battery cable)
2gtcbkh.jpg

gauge pod made (in primer)
kxq82.jpg

Downpipe
5y7vaf.jpg

No final pictures of how the car stands at the minute but it is now driveable... and all i can say is 'WOW"
that thing is fast, very exciting. Bit of a boost leak from the manifold to turbo, but will get that flattened soonish

That is all for now

Cage should be getting powder coated white in the not so distant future too

Picture from a rolling road day

34gpxz7.jpg

Last edited: