1.8 TSI engine specifications?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Looking at the diagrams of the engine, I'd say that it could be a side mounted intercooler similar to the positioning on the older 1.8T Leon's.

I've found this pic, but this is a longitude configuration, probably from an A4.

1.8TSI.jpg

Last edited:

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
Does anyone know why so many of the reviews in the motoring press, describe the SEAT Leon Mk3 1.8TSI petrol engine as having a power output of 178PS instead of 180PS as stated in all SEAT's documentation?

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Does anyone know why so many of the reviews in the motoring press, describe the SEAT Leon Mk3 1.8TSI petrol engine as having a power output of 178PS instead of 180PS as stated in all SEAT's documentation?

Most english will quote 177 as that is the figure the engine produces in BHP (Brake Horse Power). 180 represents the power in PS (or Pferdestärke) which is a german unit of power measurement, commonly adopted by the European countries (that and KilloWatts).

Hope that helps :)

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
Great to see how many people are going for the 1.8!

I find this quite encouraging that so many people now in various threads in these forums seem to be going for the 1.8 TSi.

When I ordered mine, way back in March, and even when I got mine in June the general view in many threads in these forums was that it was not going to be very popular engine size. The general view was that Seat wouldn't sell many of these as there wasn't that much advantage over the 1.4 TSi and this would result in quite rapid depreciation and low prices when it comes to selling them in a few years time.

I love mine and I think it's a fantastic engine. Far better than my previous TDi 170 CR. There really do seem to be a lot of people now who have these on order.

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
I also think its a cracking engine - so versatile. Still running in so I've not taken it over 4k but to be honest I've not needed to - plenty of power and torque to stretch over a nicely ratio'd dsg box.

I only went for the 1.8 as I needed a dsg and didn't fancy dropping from a 2.0tdi to a 1.2 else I may have gone for the 1.4 as that gets rave reviews.

I actually think the positive vibes the 1.8 is getting with pleasantly surprise those expecting low resale values.

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
I guess it's already well known but worth mentioning again that 1.8 TSI uses cam-chain instead of cam-belt and that would save you some some money because it doesn't need servicing.

To be honest, I am a little bit amazed that so many people on a UK forum have ordered a gasoline engine. Reading mostly UK automotive websites (for the simple reason I don't speak any other European languages besides English and my native Bulgarian) I am under the impression that you Brits drive mostly diesels due to taxation favoring low CO2, fleet cars policies, etc. I believe gasoline cars are more popular in mainland Europe.

Speaking of taxation policies here's some curious offtopic: in neighboring Greece there was some odd policy to put very low taxes on cars of 1.3 liters or lower displacement which made the Mazda RX-8 190PS (1.3 rotary Wankel engine) very cheap to own :D

Last edited:

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
To be honest, I am a little bit amazed that so many people on a UK forum have ordered a gasoline engine. Reading mostly UK automotive websites (for the simple reason I don't speak any other European languages besides English and my native Bulgarian) I am under the impression that you Brits drive mostly diesels due to taxation favoring low CO2, fleet cars policies, etc. I believe gasoline cars are more popular in mainland Europe.

Speaking of taxation policies here's some curious offtopic: in neighboring Greece there was some odd policy to put very low taxes on cars of 1.3 liters or lower displacement which made the Mazda RX-8 190PS (1.3 rotary Wankel engine) very cheap to own :D

It boils down to cost for most, yes. Resale values tend to be higher, tax lower and lower consumption for the diesels. However, when new, unless your do the mileage to offset the difference in price of a diesel vs the equivalent petrol - In the case of the FR 184 TDI vs the FR 180 TSI, the TSI is £535 cheaper - at a difference of 4 pence per mile between the economy of the TDI and the TSI, that's nearly 13,500 miles before you claw that money back. Not a problem if you do 20k+ a year, but if you are buying new and do 6k a year, have some fun, buy the petrol!

With the stop-start systems, petrols are becoming cheaper to tax however with our tax system being in bands, there is a £105 jump between bands B and E which the TDI 184 and TSI 180 fall into - some people are swayed by something like that which is a false economy as what you save on the tax, you would have spent in the extra price of the TDI which you may/may not get back from your annual mileage.

The greek policy is something I've heard of - similar to one in Italy where it was cars over 2.0 Litres I think? Not sure if it still stands but that's why you see some classic motors with 2.0 V8s and others with 3.0 V8s putting out the same power. Madness!

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
This will be my first non-Cupra SEAT, having had 4 Cupra SEAT's over the past 15 years or so. I considered waiting for the new Cupra (expected sometime next year) but the cost of running and insuring one has got a bit steep in recent years. Plus with the rumours of an AWD Cupra R likely to land in the next 3 years, I'm prepared to save up for a few years and wait out the market.

Having driven the 1.8TSI, its a really nippy and torquey engine, much better than the older 1.8T with similar horsepower. Despite coming from a 360hp Mk2 Cupra, I'm not that bothered about the loss in performance, because most of the time you rarely get to unleash that kind of power anyway. It's actually fun having something you can be more revvy with, you couldn't really rag about too much in a high power Cupra, they tended to go to warp and prone to lots of power understeer. :p

The fact its £400 a year cheaper to insure, and over £100 cheaper a year to tax, not to mention more fuel efficient is all money in my pocket. I also think it won't suffer too harshly on residuals, its a quick, highly specced and affordable car so should remain a good used buy in the years to come. Where as Cupra's will continue to suffer tough residuals because of the running costs involved.

Last edited:

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Looking at the diagrams of the engine, I'd say that it could be a side mounted intercooler similar to the positioning on the older 1.8T Leon's.

I've found this pic, but this is a longitude configuration, probably from an A4.

1.8TSI.jpg

Now the Mk3 and it's engines have been out for a while, does anyone have any concrete yay or nay on the IC mounting type (SM or FM) for the 1.8?

I suddenly thought about it and therefore this thread a few days ago when I glanced at mine across the car park at work and noticed what looked to be the IC peeking out from behind the front valance - it looked too low to be the Rad, but I could be wrong!

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
A bit of Googling brought up an article on the 1.2 (I know that is EA211) which states an FMIC:

Displacing 1,196 cc, the 1.2 TSI engines all have the same 71mm bore and 75.6mm stroke. They have a cast aluminum alloy block for lightness and die-forged steel crankshaft for strength. This family of four-cylinder turbocharged engines is produced by Skoda Auto at the Mlada Boleslav. All use demand-controlled injectors which eliminate the need for a return fuel system. The single turbocharger offers 1.6 bars of pressure and is equipped with a front-mounted intercooler.

And looking on Wiki (I know, I know...) at the EA888 1.8 section:

aspiration
hot-film air mass meter, cast alloy throttle body with electronically controlled Bosch E-Gas 'drive by wire' throttle butterfly valve, plastic variable length controlled intake manifold with charge movement flaps controlling combustion chamber air movement, BorgWarner K03 water-cooled turbocharger incorporated into cast iron exhaust manifold, sandwiched central front-mounted intercooler (FMIC)

I know the article states only up to 125kW for the 1.8 but it is still within the EA888 family and if on the new EA211 family they use an FMIC, I can't imagine why they wouldn't on an evolution of an already established engine family in the 1.8 range of EA888 engines.

The next time my car is in a position where I can get a good view of the front and get the bonnet up I think some investigation is in order :D

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Is it true that the 1.4 is belt driven and the 1.8 is chain driven? What about the 1.2?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

The 1.2 and 1.4 are both in the new EA211 engine family which is belt. The 1.8 is Gen.3 EA888 (same family as the newer 2.0tsi 211bhp) and is chain driven.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
Three years since I started this thread. For those three years there wasn't a moment I didn't love that engine! Great torque, power delivery, smoothness, mileage. I don't see it offered in new Audis anymore and I believe that might be the last and final generation of 1.8 TSI unfortunately due to it being overshadowed by the more popular 1.4 TSI (which I believe will soon be replaced by VAG with a newer 1.5 TSI). I can understand why 1.4 TSI would be more popular and it might indeed seem like the more sensible option in terms of power and economy, however I truly believe the 1.8 TSI is unrivaled in refinement and sophistication. Haven't heard of many people who said something bad about it.

Last edited:

LeonST Wales

Aug 7, 2016
Barry South Wales
I am getting mine on Motability but it was a close second to my first choice a VW Golf estate but that was a 1.4 match edition but the waiting time was too long. The Leon ST is a much prettier car though and the 1.8 is a better and faster engine

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise