1.8t 20v swap mk2 ibiza advice needed!

Noab

Jun 8, 2018
Hi from Spain! Just got an mk2 1995 1.4 ibiza for free and a s3 8l for sale but i want to stay in the 1.8t world.
I have research some engine swap info but still have some questions.
My tuner told me the best way to go is the Me7.5 wideband ecu and drive by wire throttle, so the engines i have listed are AUM, APP, ARZ, AUQ, AJQ, AMK, BAM (last two discarted because priced)
-1 question: Can i fit an (example) AUM Loom/ecu to a non dbw throttle or me7.5 engine like AGU?
Regarding to the swap the Loom can be converted for my car by Vagtronicks (other recomended company?) or i will convert the loom myself with the forum help.
-2 question: Gearbox. mk3 02a gearbox or a 02J mk4 gearbox?

Thanks for any advice!

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
Pretty much any 1.8T engine loom can be modified to fit any 1.8T engine, but if you can use the loom suitable for the engine you plan to fit then it makes things much easier.
An 02A gearbox from a mk2 Ibiza would be the simplest choice. It bolts straight to the 1.8T engine, and does not require you to change the gear shift or modify the clutch operation.

Noab

Jun 8, 2018
Thanks for the advices! One more question, if i can’t find the 02a gearbox, do i need to put mk4 shifter with seat cable conversion bracket? (Because where i live is easy to see mk4’s than mk3’s)

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
I do not know whether a mk4 gear shift would work. I suggest that whatever gearbox you source, you also get the matching gear shift, in case the mk2 gear shift will not work.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise