1.8t FR remap (petrol)

tyranical

Apr 13, 2008
Looking at the FR as a potential car. I've read engine will remap to 190ish is that correct? How would it fair against a 17/82 Clio?? What's a rough 0-60 time for a remapped FR? (I know 0-60 means very little)

I was after a Clio for a while but decided I want boost so want to know how they would compare. Purely on straight line performance I know the Ibiza will never match it handling wise.

Thanks in advance.

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
I've got the 1.8t 180 cupra and my mate has the clio 2.0 180 sport. Mine has more pulling power once the turbo cuts in, so anything above 180 should be keen against the clio.

clio will give better MPG and has more "stuff" on it, cruise, hids, etc. but the seat has a better build quality and isn't french (i.e. wait 5 days for parts).

I've got a company that I'm going to use to do a remap for £99, post them the ecu. Was worried about them but had good reports from other people who have used them.

more-bhp is their ebay details.

All in all go for the cupra if not the FR over the clio. My mate prefers my car to his now.

Not sure on the 0-60, but there is little in it.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
I must admit I'm not sure how Keen I am with Posting my ECU for a £99 remap, However Myneek, I hope it goes well for you.

I'm also not sure a 2.0 Naturally aspirated engine will be more economical, My average MPG (Around town and motorway) is about 40mpg.

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
PS. I was questioning the postal remap and contacted people who have used the service and they've had no issues. they do onsite rolling road as well as come to you service as well. this was just another service.

One guy had it done about 6 months ago and has had no issues. It depend how "safe" you want to be i guess

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Totally different cars... totally different engines

My Clio is going to be a lot quicker than an Ibiza, it must have a 300kg weight advantage

You will need a lot more power to overcome that penalty.

However, the Mk4 Ibiza remapped will make a nice torquey car

legoman_0

LCR lover
Aug 28, 2008
Cardiff
Clio 172 an 182 are quick cars but they have the weight advantage so a 180hp cupra would be hard to beat it I'd say. I raced my mates 182 sport an just had him in my std lcr I think there is only half a second between the 0-60 times or just over correct me if I'm wrong but they are light cars an but couldnnt catch me in 3rd an 4th. 6.9 I think for 182/72 6.5 lcr an 8 for cupra 180. As for mappin I had mine done at p torque nearly 100ft/lb increase in torque an 60bhp increase cost me £260 have a look into tha

tyranical

Apr 13, 2008
Weight difference between the 2 isn't actually that much you know.

Clio 182 weighs 1090kg
Clio 172 weighs 1020kg
mk4 ibiza FR weighs 1154kg

so the difference is not the 300kg mentioned earlier at all.

Clearly it is still an advantage but it's not as big as you just made out.

Last edited:

legoman_0

LCR lover
Aug 28, 2008
Cardiff
No it wad standard when we raced but havnt since people need to realise it's not all about power tho there are other factors.

Oh right I thought you were on about a leon there like 1400kg so quite a heavy car ( if anyone knows how to loose some weight would be great info :) ), to be honest never thought they did an fr Ibiza

tyranical

Apr 13, 2008
:S I have posted in the ibiza forum so why would I mean a Leon lol.

Yes they do a Ibiza fr, it's 150bhp standard I think and it's the 1.8t VAG lump, same as the one in the cupra from what I understand but a smaller turbo.

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
I have an Ibiza FR 20vt (1.8T) that has been remapped by Will at Performance Torque.

Mk4 Ibiza FR has the same engine and turbo as the Mk4 Cupra (KO3s). The Cupra has a front mounted intercooler and a different standard map.... otherwise the engines are the same. The FR pushes 150bhp as standard, the Cupra 180bhp.

I will look up my dyno numbers to compare the difference the remap made and edit this post in a bit. You will not be disappointed by the remap...

*edit*

Just thinking about the benefits of my remap today so I thought I would post the results...

Pre-remap
JKM dyno day (March 2009)....... 157 bhp and 180 lb/ft torque
P-Torque dyno (December 2009).......163 bhp and 185 lb/ft torque

Post remap
P-Torque Stage 1 dyno (December 2009).......229 bhp and 232 lb/ft torque (temperature was -2 degrees...)

Therefore, bhp is up by 40% and torque is up by 25%. :funk:

Then, my graph... (it was scanned, sorry!)
img112.jpg

Last edited:

tyranical

Apr 13, 2008
Christ 229bhp, is that standard apart from a remap or did you have other mods too?? That's crazy.

So what do you put the 0-60 at now and my other queries?

Cheers

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Christ 229bhp, is that standard apart from a remap or did you have other mods too?? That's crazy.

So what do you put the 0-60 at now and my other queries?

Cheers

When Will mapped it, he said its more likely to be about 215bhp (ambient temp was -2 degrees when it was mapped/dynod) You can never really trust figures from a single dyno as they all seem to come up with different figures. Its called the dyno lottery... Its better to average 2 or more dyno readings really! ;)

Only other engine mods have been: open cone filter, Forge 007p recirc valve with yellow spring, N249 bypass, cat back PowerFlow exhaust.... :)

I'm not really sure of 0-60 times but it will certainly have dropped... its more about the in-gear acceleration you get with the increased torque (great for overtaking), and the power delivery. Its hard to put into words the difference a remap will make.... the best way to see is to drive a standard car, then have a go in a remapped one.

Its best to go with a well-known/trusted mapping company when getting it done. I went for P-Torque due to their reputation on this forum and a great price too! There are companies like Custom-Code and Revo too that have excellent reps. Do your research before plumping for one.

I would be wary of sending your ECU off in the post for a £99 remap.... or maybe its just me! :cartman:

Jun 24, 2007
durham
mine is stage 1 remap at 198bhp and pulls everytime on the clios 172 and 182 woudnt like to go into any form of a corner wth one tho .

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Just like to say, in this case both are excellant cars.
Trophys fantastic through bendys and will be faster as standard.

FR/Cupra's however with a few modifications will be on par if not faster than the Clio.
Clio's don't leave much room for improvement as their NA engines a simple remap wont increase performance by that much.

Depends what you want to do, Do you want to tweak a bit? or do you just want a straightforward car?

tyranical

Apr 13, 2008
I intend to tweak it for performance and obviously handling aswell so brakes and suspension etc. I wouldn't expect it to outhandle a cliosport I was more interested in the straightline speed as I don't spend much time on country roads.

The fr has the potential to be faster which is what I wanted to know really. How are they on fuel? I have quite a heavy right foot, also what are they like on the motorway, my Yaris t sport is really loud on the motorway (it's standard), both road noise and engine is high revving.

finally can you get the whoosh sound from a dump valve on this engine? I know some people see it as chavvy etc but I love that sound lol.

Cheers

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
A nice open cone filter and a 007P re-circulation valve will allow that sound.
However tuned right you'll find it'll only dump when your driving around in low revs.
When I give my car some beans and change gear I wont hear it dump because its using all the air it can.

Straight line speed you are looking at the FR/Cupra,
You could always buy my Cupra if you like :)

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
A nice open cone filter and a 007P re-circulation valve will allow that sound.
However tuned right you'll find it'll only dump when your driving around in low revs.
When I give my car some beans and change gear I wont hear it dump because its using all the air it can.

Mine gives a nice loud "chirp" when lifting off with boost... but I am running it in reverse!

You could always buy my Cupra if you like :)

:( Why selling? Getting something bigger?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.