1.8T sounds like a diesel when cold

CUP-RACING

Feb 13, 2007
well my car was fine until I got my cambelt done recently, and was ok shortly after but now when I start it up it sounds like a diesel for about 2 or 3 minutes till the revs settle down, sounds like alot of vibration. Anyone have this happen to theres and is it linked to the recent cambelt and tensioners change?

CUP-RACING

Feb 13, 2007
yeah mine has always been loud when first started but not like this, it doesnt sound healthy

Suze

VW (now skoda) queen
May 8, 2007
Ireland
Have you tried Vagcom? Or else take it back to the garage that did the belt and say it doesn't sound right

nils 6l

Dutch Driver
Aug 9, 2008
Netherlands
More vibrations in cold conditions are normal. When mounting a cambelt you're engine needs to be lifted a bit to get of the left engine mount. Maybe your mount was on it's end and is broken now.

This was my problem when it sounded like a diesel in cold conditions.

CUP-RACING

Feb 13, 2007
well its bad times, it turns out there was serious problem. finished work and headed down the A3 when suddenly there was a squel and the temperture gauge shot up and the light came on,pulled over and was seriously steaming!. have just got back after being towed by the aa man. Im guessing the new water pump wasnt fitted correctly or was faulty but now im guessing I will need a new head gasket. ouch!

I have phoned the seat garage who said leave it outside their service department. the thing is now, will they repair it without charge or will I get the screwed over?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Prepare to be screwed over, they are not going to admit anything so start building up a good argument against paying.

Oh and don't just post your keys through the letter box :no:

CUP-RACING

Feb 13, 2007
im going to kick off big time, I knew I shouldnt have taken it to them. dont worry the keys are staying with me

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Don't kick off straight away, Ask them what they can do about it, wait for them to offer to repair it under their workmanship warrenty. If they sound like they are treating it as a new problem, let rip in a calm and professional way.

Don't pannic too much about the head gasket, the 20vt engine is a tough engine.

Was the engine still running or has the cam belt jumped due to the failed waterpump/tensioner?

What light came on?

Last edited:

CUP-RACING

Feb 13, 2007
ok cheers mate, I do hope its not serious. I had phoned seat prior to this this morning to book it in for that noise too.

What light came on?

the temp warning light

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Ouch,..maybe they didn't tighten up a pulley or something and the belt came off and water pump stopped running. They should definitely have to fix it...How long ago did you get the work done?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Ouch,..maybe they didn't tighten up a pulley or something and the belt came off and water pump stopped running. They should definitely have to fix it...How long ago did you get the work done?

The water pump runs off of the cam belt, if the cam belt comes off of the water pump the belt will go very loose and the engine will stop with multiple bent valves before it gets chance to overheat.

I think the water pump impellor has failed personally and they will need to replace the water pump for free, then fully test the cooling system (pressure test) to see if any admage other damage has resulted due to overheating.

Then again a failed water pump doesn't normally give derv noise simptoms :think: this could be loose turbo mounting bolts, blowing boost pipes or an exhaust problem as the engine was moved about to do the original work.

I trust that they fitted the uprated type of pump with a metal impellor and not the crappy plastic type?

Last edited:

CUP-RACING

Feb 13, 2007
I trust that they fitted the uprated type of pump with a metal impellor and not the crappy plastic type?

i wouldnt know, just paid the cash and left thinking im glad I got that done before some thing broke. little did I know

the derv noise was only whilst the auto choke was active, I opening the bonnet and it was coming from the belts so this is why I rang SEAT today

Last edited:

jamest87

lead foot
Feb 10, 2009
thanet. margate
hello there,, ever since i got my fr it sounds like a diesel when i start it up and when its cold it will rev high for a couple of min then it drops just blow 10..

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
I had the exact same problem when my water pump went and i got a timing belt kit done at the same time as the repair as it was due round about the time.

After a week or so especially when the car had been running for a while and was hot it would make a ruddering noise like a deisel. After another week of this i worked up the courage to take it back to the garage and they sorted free of charge saying it was a pulley hitting the casing or something like that anyway. I have had the car back about 3/4 weeks now and the noise is gone although it still sounds a little different to when i put it in.

CUP-RACING

Feb 13, 2007
yep took mine back and the water pump had failed and luckily the head gasket is ok, they replaced it free of charge and it sounds fine now. hopefully touch wood that will be the end of it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.