1.8t strange turbo sounds

Sebblakeney21

May 13, 2015
Northamptonshire
Hi guys

I’m stumped as to what a noise is that the car is making.

It’s a high pitched noise on boost, sort of high pitched hiss/ screech sound. It doesn’t do it when the car is cold once it’s all warmed up it does it in proportion to how much throttle you give it, more throttle more noise. Power is normal, not burning oil. A few things happening recently not sure if they tie in with this noise

- sometimes the car loses everything for a split second, nothing when you press pedal but then it’ll come back. Happens rarely.

- when I come off throttle and roll in gear it does sound a little burbly through the exhaust more than normal, has a tiny backfire/crackle noise.

I had a turbo replacement back in January, everything was change, It’s definitely not the whoo noise I experienced before when turbo had gone.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
I have a similar issue but for me only happens after 3500rpm - so in my case I think its a high pressure boost leak (sort of sounds like a supercharger).
Hopefully this weekend i'm going to get to pressure test the whole system to around 15 psi and see if I can find it.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Boost gauge would help to see if you’re hitting and holding peak boost.

Some common things are boost pipe failures and also recirculating valve membrane failure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bigT's lcr
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.