1.8TSI Cupra MPG

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
I just thought I'd share that I got 465 miles out of my tank last week (filled with 52L of Tesco's Super-Unleaded), also got a 53 MPG read out on my 22 mile commute.

Very impressed with the usability and overall performance of the car, pretty sure I never got those kind of figures in my 1.2TSI FR on the same route!

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
It's also down to driving style. You'll find a lot less wear on the tyres and brake pads as well.
The refinement and torque of the 1.8 engine encourages an unhurried approach to making progress without sacrificing your ETA. :smoke:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Wow, isn't the official number 47mpg combined? That's very good if you can see 53mpg, which I'm guessing is close to the 'extra urban' figures for Cupra.

Even on my EcoTSI, I can never get more than the 'combined' figures in any shape or form, only close to it. Then again, the combined figures for 1.0 TSI is 64mpg, I will never get that!

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
It's also down to driving style. You'll find a lot less wear on the tyres and brake pads as well.

The refinement and torque of the 1.8 engine encourages an unhurried approach to making progress without sacrificing your ETA. :smoke:

Yeah definitely, my commute is mostly 50mph zones on the motorway and I never get chance to exceed 70mph, loads of engine breaking opportunities too

I completely agree, do you find yourself driving in sport mode mostly or?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
Wow, isn't the official number 47mpg combined? That's very good if you can see 53mpg, which I'm guessing is close to the 'extra urban' figures for Cupra.

Even on my EcoTSI, I can never get more than the 'combined' figures in any shape or form, only close to it. Then again, the combined figures for 1.0 TSI is 64mpg, I will never get that!

I'm not 100% sure but I believe you're right, yeah like I said to @sonofzelda above on my commute the driving style is pretty subdued. I've only hit 50+ in light traffic commutes, however I never get lower than 42mpg, typically getting about 45mpg which is far better than I expected!

I doubt you will! My 1.2TSI used to get mid/late 40's consistently and sometimes mid 50's if I was driving efficiently

Rick-24

Feb 24, 2005
I got upto 48ish on my way to dealers today. Only 20 miles or so

1.8 tsi does seem pretty efficient though my long term millage seems to be stuck on 39-40 though I haven't done many long trips I think on a long run would do 50ish

It's thirsty though when you put your foot down and the variable cam kicks in with turbo :whistle::p

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
I got upto 48ish on my way to dealers today. Only 20 miles or so

1.8 tsi does seem pretty efficient though my long term millage seems to be stuck on 39-40 though I haven't done many long trips I think on a long run would do 50ish

It's thirsty though when you put your foot down and the variable cam kicks in with turbo :whistle::p

exactly the same as me mate, mines stuck on 39 after 5k miles on the long term trip haha

Variable cam?

Rick-24

Feb 24, 2005
Ha well that mileage is ok then . Yeah if you look at engine spec its got variable cam timing so I think cams have two different lobes so on normal throttle it's low lift then high lift when you floor it in think. I can feel it compared to my old 1.8 20vt

Superman001

Jan 14, 2017
Paisley
I just thought I'd share that I got 465 miles out of my tank last week (filled with 52L of Tesco's Super-Unleaded), also got a 53 MPG read out on my 22 mile commute.

Very impressed with the usability and overall performance of the car, pretty sure I never got those kind of figures in my 1.2TSI FR on the same route!

How can you fill a 45 litre tank with 52 litres, assuming you filled up when the light came on you wouldn't get more than 40-42 litres in.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I wonder if Cupra (1.8TSI one) has a bigger fuel tank to accomodate the center exhaust? Battery is in the boot right? All I know is, when I tried this exercise...red light on, Trip PC showed about 15 miles to empty, filled to 1st click, waited a bit, filled a bit more (maybe 1 litre more). Pulled nozzle out and so did a few (perhaps 50ml) of petrol. so I had to clean it up. I could only put 42 litres in a 45 litre tank, pretty sure it was brimed all the way to the neck. I always thought the fuel line clicks twice, before you REALLY need to stop putting anymore, but it only clicked once.

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
I wonder if Cupra (1.8TSI one) has a bigger fuel tank to accomodate the center exhaust? Battery is in the boot right? All I know is, when I tried this exercise...red light on, Trip PC showed about 15 miles to empty, filled to 1st click, waited a bit, filled a bit more (maybe 1 litre more). Pulled nozzle out and so did a few (perhaps 50ml) of petrol. so I had to clean it up. I could only put 42 litres in a 45 litre tank, pretty sure it was brimed all the way to the neck. I always thought the fuel line clicks twice, before you REALLY need to stop putting anymore, but it only clicked once.

Maybe, I’m pretty sure I filled the reserve tank also on that occasion. 52L is the most I ever got in, but I do frequently get more than 45L - Maybe Tesco are just having me off!

Reactions: Superman001

Superman001

Jan 14, 2017
Paisley
Maybe, I’m pretty sure I filled the reserve tank also on that occasion. 52L is the most I ever got in, but I do frequently get more than 45L - Maybe Tesco are just having me off!
Might be ripping you off.

I had 45 miles to go on the trip, filled it with 38 litres and let it click twice and only got just under 39 litres in.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Maybe try another fuel pump outside Tesco? Sometimes the 'performance' models have a bigger tank. I know when I had the Leon, it had a 50L tank, and people could not infrequently fill past 50 litres to about 52/53 litres. In the Leon the red light comes on @ 60 miles remaining, in the Ibiza, with 35 miles remaining. I wonder why...

Fletch

Jan 28, 2016
Hastings
I filled my 15 Plate Cupra up at the weekend, i believe it has the same size tank, and it took £59, is was 117.9p per lt, so it took a smidge over 50L.

I did the same as J Owen, it clicked around £49, moved the pump down to let the air go, and went again and kept going to £59, regulary takes more than 45litres for me! And i fill up at all different stations.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
You know there was a thread somewhere that had a little 'straw' type device sticking out near or around the fuel input area for overflow....perhaps one of you cupra owners could do a total miles done on odometer, and see how much you can fill right back up. I noted you said you did 465 miles @ 53mpg..(amazing figure for the 1.8TSI btw)..assuming your on board trip computer is correct, and my calculations are as well, you would have used 40 litres to cover that distance. Which means the reserve + hoses etc are 10+ litres? Either that or Seat likes to understate many things, power, mpg, acceleration, and in this case fuel tank capacity as well!

Superman001

Jan 14, 2017
Paisley
They must understate the acceleration from 0-100kph as it has been tested quicker with 2 adults in the car. Also the weight of 1260kg might be a little more than the actual weight. Does anyone know if 1260kg is accurate or is that with a 75kg person in the car?

James

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
They must understate the acceleration from 0-100kph as it has been tested quicker with 2 adults in the car. Also the weight of 1260kg might be a little more than the actual weight. Does anyone know if 1260kg is accurate or is that with a 75kg person in the car?

James

I was always under the impression that 'curbweight' of the car was including the driver, but cannot remember what the weight was stated as, something in the back of my mind thinks 67kg + 90% full tank of fuel, but cannot be 100% sure. Must have read it in the brochure.. I know my 1.0TSI is 1140kg. Might check later if I can find the brochure...oh wait..I'm old school, I'm sure there is a e-copy somewhere..

*ok, it confirms (for new Ibiza) weight is with driver...but no indication how heavy driver is...

* Another update, looks like it is 75kg..:
DIN kerb weight

Weight of the car with all fluids necessary for operation, including a 90% full fuel tank.

EU kerb weight

The EU kerb weight adds a further 75kg to the (above) DIN weight to imitate a driver and luggage.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.