1.9 or 2.0 TDI ?

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
The time has come to return my current lease car a LEON 2.0 TDi FR and i have decided to buy a car this time. I fancy an ALTEA it must be a diesel as i have a 55 mile round trip commute. I am not looking for a high performance car( more about that in a minute) so the priority is economy,however i am worried that after the FR ,a 1.9 TDI in particular will feel too slow. I am therefore thinking about a 2.0 TDI sport or a 1.9 TDI stylance and if the later would consider a remap.

I have plenty of experience with the engines in question having had Fabia vrs, A3 2.0TDI and my wifes current Passat 1.9 TDI (100 bhp) amongst quite a few others although have no experience of the engines in an ALTEA anybody have any thoughts or comments?

I am looking at spending up to 6k which would seem to mean 04/05 cars again is their anything i should watch out for?

Finally, and apologies for such a long post, if all goes to plan i will have about 2k to spend on a fun car. Possibilities include an MX5(already had one),a Corrado/Scirocco or an early IBIZA GTI.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
The 2.0ltr sport tdi is the same engine as the Audi A3 2.0ltr (providing that it was a 140bhp). The car is a bit heavier so performance will be slightly less than the Audi, but still a valid comparison as you've driven the A3 2.0ltr. My Altea is very nippy, and really comfortable. Much more refined than the 1.9 engine we had in the previous Bora.

stuwbafc

Aug 30, 2009
bearwood
i've been really pleased with our altea (19tdi) we had an astra sri xp before this and that was pretty quick but although the altea is diesel theirs not much differance in my opinion :D

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
45 mpg or 55 mpg,and price/insurance thats the main questions really!
I'm a 36 year old boy racer,so wouldn't entertain a 1.9 but i'm sure they are quick enough for 90% of people :D

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
I suppose that what i am really wondering is whether a re-mapped 1.9TDI with its 5 speed gearbox will make an acceptable daily/commuting car or whether i should buy a 2.0TDI and accept the higher fuel costs,insurance and road tax (£150 per anum instead of £125 per anum-i think).

I do not truly believe that either of the options are "performance cars" as such but nonetheless are looking for an economical car with reasonable performance to do about 20k miles per anum mostly commuting(70% motorway).

As previously mentioned i shall also buy a second "fun" car for the weekends and occasional commute in the summer months. Again this will not necessarily be a performance car, i do not need to go that quickly to enjoy country roads etc.

Interesting to hear what Viking said although when i had the A3 2.0TDI i had a short go in an ALTEA 2.0TDI sport which seemed more responsive than the Audi maybe the SEAT was an especially good one or the Audi not such a good example

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
For commuting and longer journeys I'd take the reduced economy of the 2.0ltr mate. The engine is much smoother and quieter than the 1.9, and on motorways the reduced noise makes a difference. Unless you're a real tight arse and want to save every penny that is.

Either way, I think you'll find (in sport guise) the seats are very comfortable. Not too sure about the lower spec ones though.

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
Quite a tight arse!

Had a brief drive in a 2.0TDI sport today and I was impressed although i still intend to try a 1.9 before making a decision.

Has anyone on this board driven a standard 2.0 & a remapped 1.9 if so I'd be interested to read your comments.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Quite a tight arse!

Had a brief drive in a 2.0TDI sport today and I was impressed although i still intend to try a 1.9 before making a decision.

Has anyone on this board driven a standard 2.0 & a remapped 1.9 if so I'd be interested to read your comments.

Having a remapped 1.9 will be the equivelent of a standard 2.0! so not much real point!
The 2.0's aren't much different to the 1.9's on fuel,maybe 5-6 mpg. i took my 2.0 to Reading last week (150 miles) and sat at an average 75mph i got 52 mpg so not bad at all!

I have also had it remapped (Not switched on for above mpg) but it took the car to 194 bhp and 316 lb ft of torque,and not much will stay with it 30 - 70mph :D
plus it'll still do 45 mpg if fairly sensible!
The 2.0 also has more behind the scenes too,bigger brakes,bigger intercooler,and probably more! ;)

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
pdh 14a good point regarding the other aspects ie brakes etc.

I have quite a bit of experience of the 2 engines but not in an ALTEA!

I am a little bit concearned about the potential reliability of the 2.0 TDI and from what i have read on here, Briskoda and Audisport.net amongst others it would seem that the general opinion is that whilst the larger engine is reliable there are more issues with the turbo and DMF etc than the 1.9 which is "tried and tested" although this could be reversed if the 1.9 is remapped.

Still going to test a 1.9 as the less i spend on the daily the more ill have for the fun car.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
pdh 14a good point regarding the other aspects ie brakes etc.

I have quite a bit of experience of the 2 engines but not in an ALTEA!

I am a little bit concearned about the potential reliability of the 2.0 TDI and from what i have read on here, Briskoda and Audisport.net amongst others it would seem that the general opinion is that whilst the larger engine is reliable there are more issues with the turbo and DMF etc than the 1.9 which is "tried and tested" although this could be reversed if the 1.9 is remapped.

Still going to test a 1.9 as the less i spend on the daily the more ill have for the fun car.

The problem is with forums is that people only post up problems!

If there was a thread on who's car had run properly today,it would be 99% of owners!
perhaps more owners of the 2.0 use them a bit harder,as they are faster drivers to want them in the first place :shrug:
All i can say is mines coming up to 40k,the last 7k modified and it hasn't missed a beat (Famous last words,look for a my turbos gone thread tomorrow :D)
Good luck with whatever you choose anyway!

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
Well, as I've had both I can answer! Just (yesterday) had my 1.9 XL SE after 4 years in a 2.0 Sport. The 1.9 wouldnt pull your **** out straight! Its crap compared to the 2 litre! I can't see it being 103bhp for long!!! ;) I had no choice, new company car rules [:@]. If you have the choice, go 2.0 140, you won't regret it!

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
Finally had a short go in a 1.9TDI and it really wasnt as bad as expected. I have read a lot about the superior refinement of the larger engine and i have never really noticed it personally. Our current 1.9TDI Passat is much more refined and has a quieter engine than my LEON FR 2.0TDI,not a scientific test i know but that is how it feels from the drivers seat. I am drawn to the smaller engine as it will cost less to buy , insure , tax and generally run and from my perspective that is the reason for having the car .This type of car is not a performance car and never really will be. I intend to have a second fun car which i have done in the past to include a caterham,mx5,mark 1/ 2 Golf GTIs etc. The less i spend on the daily car allows more for a second fun car, top of the list at the moment is a mk2 mx5 1.8is(dont knock these until you try one the handling is amazing).

Right just got to find the right Altea now.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
I still believe the 2.0 won't work out a huge difference unless you are doing 10k plus a year or are under 25 for insurance pourposes,but good luck with whatever you go for! :)

Its nice being able to run a weekend car isn't it! Heres my babies! 516bhp of fun :clap:

x10p05.jpg

Last edited:

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
I do about 20k miles per year and are looking for max economy!

Nice weekend car pda do you track it? i remember when i had the Caterham i had some brill trackdays,not many cars could keep up i had no problems with evos etc and i aint no racing driver! Mine was a Superlight R with a vhpd k series 190 bhp and buggerall weight those were the days pre credit crunch when i actuly had some disposible funds to play with nowadays on a much tighter budget.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
I do about 20k miles per year and are looking for max economy!

Nice weekend car pda do you track it? i remember when i had the Caterham i had some brill trackdays,not many cars could keep up i had no problems with evos etc and i aint no racing driver! Mine was a Superlight R with a vhpd k series 190 bhp and buggerall weight those were the days pre credit crunch when i actuly had some disposible funds to play with nowadays on a much tighter budget.

Fair enough then 6+ mpg over 20k's a lot!
Thanks for the kind words,yes i track it occasionally,i'm nicknamed captain slow though,so don't give it much abuse,the car will definately outdrive me lol :D

The Caterham must have been a hoot,190 bhp in what about 6-700kg's of car, Awesome! :)

And yes sadly my disposable income has narrowed in the last 2 years too,time to slow down on the spending! Altough i just bought a shortshifter for the altea this morning :blink:

idmorris

Had a 2.0 tdi 140ps Tolly Mk3 for about a month, took it back cos it was bent....then bought a 1.9tdi 105ps Tolly. If only that first Tolly wasnt bent.......

Anyway apart from the uummph numbers the fuel figures werent that different imo. Daily I only do a 12 mile round trip, but do go on a 500 ml round trip every month or so. On both these types of trips I would say the 2 cars/engines are pretty close on mpg.

I appreciate that the 1.9 is a longish standing reliable unit but compared to the 2.0 it does sound tractor like and doesnt pull anywhere near as well as the 2.0. (obvious I know)

BTW If you 'push' the 1.9, there is hell of a ('pause' 'gap' 'lag' 'drop') in pull when shifting 1st - 2nd and sometimes 3rd.

Anyway Im happy with my 1.9 but I dont think as much as I would have been with the 2.0.

davidif

Dec 17, 2006
Worcestershire
What the hell! ive decided on a 2.0TDI sport and ill live with the slightly lower fuel economy and enjoy the extra go and 6th gear etc.

At the price range ive set myself the cars will have done between 75k to 140k miles. I think i will be buying on condition rather than just mileage paying particular attention to service history and cambelt changes etc. I am not too concearned about the mileage and would prefer a higher mileage car with an impeccable service history and maybe only 1 or 2 owners than a car with low mileage,numerous owners and tatty condition. What are peoples thoughts on this?

Anything else i should be looking for?

Thanks for any input.

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
Well, I've just bought my company Altea 2.0 tdi Sport, had a gearbox issue (apparently not uncommon) where the rear mainshaft bearing occasionally spins in the casing which gives the shaft some end float - mine had 0.55mm so not much but it sometimes was a bitch to engage reverse after a forward gear & vice versa, so I took the box out, had it rebuilt/repaired, now its fine - clutch & flywheel were fine as they were replaced 25k miles ago after the turbo let go & took the bottom end with it - so it had a new short motor, turbo, intercooler, cat, etc (over 4k!). Its got a few little marks on it after 91k/4 years which I'm going to get done, then its having a full service. If I can't sell the wifes Leon, I'll be selling the Altea if your interested. The car will not be sold until its spot on! Engine has basically done 25k miles & the gearbox is now perfect! Still drives/goes great - hence the reason I would rather keep it & sell the Leon.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise