1.9 TDI Cambelt - definitive time to change

palebluestar

Lo all, new to the forum and hopefully this week will be an owner of a 2003 Leon 1.9 TDI Cupra. I have place a refundable holding deposit whilst I obtain some more info and also get some answers from the dealer.

I have done a search for when to change the cambelt, as well as searching the web for opinions. However the problem is that the opinions vary from between 40k to 80k??

The one I'm looking at has done just over 55k so this is slap bang within the threshold.

Probably a contentious question but - when should the belt be changed.

Also they have said t the dealer that if there is anything that comes up on a check then they will rectify before I take formal ownership - but do you think I should push to get the belt changed before this also?

Lastly, any opinions on whether the deal I am looking at is a good one? 2003 Leon 1.9 TDI Cupra, 55k, £8999

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Your timing belt interval for a 53 plater should be 60k miles or 4 years. That means the mileage is irrelevant as it's gone over the 4 year mark. If you buy it, make sure the belt is done immediately cos if it snaps you've got a knackered engine.

palebluestar

Thanks DPJ - for moving the thread.

And thanks guys for the replies... I initially felt the price was a little high but having checked the price against what else was on Autotrader and the Parkers guides I don't think I've done too bad at all;
- Parkers was saying between £10000 - £10595 from dealers - with adjustment for the mileage it comes to between £9475 - £10070.
- Autotrader either had same ball park mileage for more ££ (generally on 04/54 platers, so more miles in less time!) or similar price and further away from where I live.
... all in all I quite happy... which is the main thing! :D

So I pick it up this week! :D:D

Any more opinions on the CAM belt change?? (Thanks out to Viking!)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
99% certain that Viking is right, a 2003 PD130 cambelt interval would be 60k miles (or time based).

My '03 Ibiza PD130 was definitely 60k interval.

However the dealers tried to persuade me to have it changed at 40k :rolleyes: No doubt because it's a nice earner for them.

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I paid £11,750 for an 15 month old TDI 150 FR+ about 10 months ago.

It had 55000 on the clock and I got the cambelt done at 60000 which is recommended in the service book. It isn't cheap if you have it done at a garage and its expensive from a stealer (I was quoted over £750 for 60000 mile service from a local stealer)

palebluestar

Thanks guys, looking like 60k is the general consensus then, the dealer from where I am buying quoted me £495 to replace (inc. tensioners) :scary:

Think I'll try my local Seat dealer in Derby first!!

Any thoughts where to go in the East Midlands area?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
You did point out that the belt is overdue to be changed, and you're expecting the sevice history to be current and fully up to date...?;)

I fail to see why they're charging you for a service item which you would reasonably expect to be done to main dealer standards when buying a car with full service history.

One other thing. The car will be under warranty for 3 months minimum when you buy it. If the belt snaps, and they're aware it should've been done then they're on a sticky wicket legally. You could quite reasonably take them to Court for a new engine when it destroys yours. As a dealer, they're supposed to be the experts and if they're aware that there's a fault or issue with the car, they shouldn't be selling it.

Last edited:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
is this the same for non pd 110 tdi engine?mines on 5 years and 49k?

how do you get the bottom clips off the bloody cam belt cover so i can have a gander?

palebluestar

You did point out that the belt is overdue to be changed, and you're expecting the sevice history to be current and fully up to date...?;)

I fail to see why they're charging you for a service item which you would reasonably expect to be done to main dealer standards when buying a car with full service history.

One other thing. The car will be under warranty for 3 months minimum when you buy it. If the belt snaps, and they're aware it should've been done then they're on a sticky wicket legally. You could quite reasonably take them to Court for a new engine when it destroys yours. As a dealer, they're supposed to be the experts and if they're aware that there's a fault or issue with the car, they shouldn't be selling it.

Thanks Viking, thats an interesting point you make, see below a quote from the warranty they are providing;
"Timing belts are covered provided that the last due change of the belt and tensioner has taken place as specified by the manufacturers schedule. You must be able to provide proof of this."

I'm going to give the warranty company a call tomorrow for some advice on where I stand currently, having signed a binding contract to buy and also upon driving it off of the forecourt.

I might even try and speak to SEAT before I go over pick it up, see what they recommend. But if it states 4 Years in the service book then thats the ground I can work from when I speak to the dealers tomorrow prior to picking it up.

What I find strange is this, it has a full SEAT Dealer Service History, the last one being completed in November '07 at 51K, I'm surprised that the belt was not replaced at this time :confused:

dirtysac

Mar 2, 2008
Yorkshire
My cambelt is due at 120,000km (80,000miles) that's for an 04 Leon TDI.

To quote the official maintenance schedule:
- Every 60,000 miles (90,000Km), in addition to inspection service jobs - Toothed belt for camshaft drive: replace (Alhambra model TDI with pump injector only)
- Every 100,000Km, in addition to inspection service jobs - Haldex clutch: replace oil filter (diesel engines only)
- Every 120,000Km, in addition to inspection service jobs - Toothed belt for camshaft drive: replace (only TDI with injector pump except Alhambra model)

I also had that confirmed at the main dealer today after getting a brake switch fixed.

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
In North America we only got two PD engines: a PD100 1.9 in the 2004-2006 Jetta, Golf, and New Beetle; and a PD140 2.0 in the 2004-2005 Passat.

The owners manuals in all these models said to inspect at 80k miles and replace the timing belt/cambelt/toothed belt at 100k miles.

It appears that, with the 1.9-liter engine at any rate, the more highly tuned the engine (PD140, PD170), the shorter the cambelt replacement interval.

All of the older TDIs with the injector pump either have a 100k-mile interval, or the original parts can be replaced with upgraded parts good for up to 100k miles.

We are looking at the new common-rail (CR) system coming sometime later this year. No idea what the cambelt replacement interval will be. But the CR system should be less stressful on cambelt components than the PD system.