1.9 tdi pd 130 problems starting?

brandon19

Hi all :D

I have a tdi sport pd 130 ibiza, Just recently it's not been wanting to start after left for a while... i don't think it's mechanical it's electrical as it starts straight up no probs for 1 sec then cuts out then you try again and it does the same thing, if you leave the ignition on after starting it bleeps and flashes up with oil sign?

then sometimes it's fine?

i've changed the oil and filter and used decent pd 5-30 oil incase it was the oil shitty and when it first did it my instinct was to put some oil in but i only had 15 40 on me so had to put that in and it started..

but still happening with the new oil etc...

any ideas guys?

much appreciated :D

RJ

is it still pumping oil , are you loosing oil , any different when engine is cold or hot ??

brandon19

Still pumping oil fine and not losing any dry as a bone, runs sweet too just seems like a sensor out or something?

cheers i'll have a read of that :)

grq

Giggity
Jun 9, 2005
Possible shitty electrical connection due to moveable steering column?

Tiz

although the oil problem won't be causing the symptoms your having. Considering you have mixed in some different oil I would seriously seriously drop your oil and filter. Fill up with some fresh correct grade oil. Mixing oils especially on an oil sensitive engine like the PD is a very bad idea.

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
although the oil problem won't be causing the symptoms your having. Considering you have mixed in some different oil I would seriously seriously drop your oil and filter. Fill up with some fresh correct grade oil. Mixing oils especially on an oil sensitive engine like the PD is a very bad idea.

hasnt he already done that or have i read the first post wrong?

Tiz

i read it that it had new good oil in, it had the problem so he put some 15w40 in. Thats just how i read it, could be wrong?

brandon19

Read at top! the first thing i dad was drop oil and filter with correct oil grade

but thanks

brandon19

Hmmmm did it again today wouldn't start at all left ignition on 10 min sat there then suddenly it went

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
does it turn over fire for a second and then cut out and does the little key symbol flash on the dash? if so the immobiliser is stuck on,a well know fault with the 6 dial instrument cluster,

search immobiliser plenty of threads on that if its your problem.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
does it turn over fire for a second and then cut out and does the little key symbol flash on the dash? if so the immobiliser is stuck on,a well know fault with the 6 dial instrument cluster,

search immobiliser plenty of threads on that if its your problem.

See post #3, agreed with the above, sounds like an immobiliser issue

brandon19

yes that's what it does but no immobiliser symbol flashes, the oil light flashes and bleeps

so i need to try see if it's the immobiliser

brandon19

Hi guys,
still got the problem with it starting....

plugged vagcom in and getting no codes or faults through that so it's got to be mechanical,
Ibeen told by i guy i know works on vag cars that it's most probably the oil pump? he says the pressure release valve get stuck that's why it won't let me start because it's got no oil pressure?

anybody had this?

cheers :)

brandon19

Hi ppl, my car's becoming a nightmare now, i've changed oil pump, oil strainer, oil sensor on oil filter housing, and it's all still the same wont start because of no oil pressure and when it stars ticks slightly until oil pressure is built up....it just seems to over night drop all the oil to the sump again then it's got to try get pressure and oil up to the top...

i always run it on pd oil 5/40 has anyone used 10/40 in theirs will it matter that it's a little thicker?

much appreciated :)

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
yeah dont do that it needs to be special vw spec pd oil as your using at the moment,some horror stories involving people who just use the normal stuff.

brandon19

see that's exactly what i thought but my boss telling me it might be too thin but i use pd oil

so confusing :S

brandon19

anyone? Help!!!!!!!!! lol it starts if you tow it with igniton off to build up pressure just short distance, then turn it over on the key it starts fine once it's got pressure????

any help would be great thanks

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
have you resloved this yet mate

i have same problem on my ARL 150 engine , if i hold the key on longer than i should it fires up

i have a leaking tandem pump and been advised berhaps its sucking in air which causes airlock etc

i also get smoking issuues when idling

i too have the ticking / taping noise

brandon19

Alright mate, basically i tried lots of things and in the end i had to bite the bullet and go for the injectors, so i fitted injectors with new seals, and it ran fine with a little smoke still but it seemed to clear and did start fine a few times.....

ANYWAY i did about 200miles and it was fine and then driving home one evening it went bang and a conrod came through the block so now it's tottally ruined needs a new engine and gearbox as that cracked too, so i don't know what to do with it now lol

but the tandum pump was going to be the next thing on my list

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members