(1) Rear door won't lock (2) child-lock for rear windows does not work

dog

Oct 15, 2018
Hi guys, two issues I have on my 2012 Leon:

1) Rear drivers side door won't lock. Using the key, or with the button in the middle that locks the car from the inside, does not make a difference - the rear left door is always unlocked. Also the window does not go up or down, like the whole door is not getting any power?
2) The "child-lock" button (I don't know what to call it) on the drivers door that stops rear windows from going up or down from the switches in the back doesn't work anymore. If I press it nothing happens, it's always illuminated as if the child lock is disabled.

All other doors and windows are working fine. I haven't checked the fuses, but if it was a fuse then surely both rear doors and windows wouldn't work?

I will be going to my mechanic on Monday next week. Just any suggestions on what could be wrong would be helpful and if it's something simple (yeah right with my luck) that even I could fix that would be even better.

Fingers crossed it doesn't get stolen before Monday lol

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
Hi guys, two issues I have on my 2012 Leon:

1) Rear drivers side door won't lock. Using the key, or with the button in the middle that locks the car from the inside, does not make a difference - the rear left door is always unlocked. Also the window does not go up or down, like the whole door is not getting any power?
2) The "child-lock" button (I don't know what to call it) on the drivers door that stops rear windows from going up or down from the switches in the back doesn't work anymore. If I press it nothing happens, it's always illuminated as if the child lock is disabled.

All other doors and windows are working fine. I haven't checked the fuses, but if it was a fuse then surely both rear doors and windows wouldn't work?

I will be going to my mechanic on Monday next week. Just any suggestions on what could be wrong would be helpful and if it's something simple (yeah right with my luck) that even I could fix that would be even better.

Fingers crossed it doesn't get stolen before Monday lol

Hi dog,

I had a similar issue with my 09 pre-facelift FR, where one of the back doors wouldn't unlock from the key or the button in the car, which wasn't ideal when my kids couldn't get in for school runs etc.

Anyway, it happened to both rear passenger sides and apparently it's a common fault on the mark 2 .

Luckily for me, I bought used with a warranty and they replaced both lock units for me.

Good luck, hope you get sorted soon.

dog

Oct 15, 2018
The door lock module is a common problem, the grease inside dries up and they stop working.
That problem can be fixed in about 10 minutes without spending any money

You might want to scan with VCDS first to check it not an electrical issue.
Ok I'll check, but my issue is not just the door not locking, the window on that side doesn't go down as well. It's like it's not getting any power. Can the door lock affect that, it can't right?

dog

Oct 15, 2018
I got this problem fixed. Here's what went wrong in case someone else has this issue in the future. Also this got explained to me in slovenian so apologies if I got something wrong.

In the drivers door there is a controller / module (something along those lines), that also sends power to the rear doors and the part that sends the power to the (in this case) rear right side door got fried. So because of this it stopped locking and unlocking, the rear window didn't work and the child lock button on the drivers door stopped working.

Door lock modules are a problem on these cars and when my mechanic first started looking at it it looked exactly like that. If someone has a problem like this in the future: if your door has problem locking or unlocking, but the rest of it works, it's probably the door lock module. They can sometimes be fixed (like R3k1355 said) so don't try to replace them (I got quoted 210€ just for this part at the dealership, gtfoh) if it's not necessary. However, if like in my case, the door seems completely dead then you should probably start looking at the controller (or module?) in the drivers door. It's a complete PITA.

The rear right side door lock module code is 3C0959703E. My car is a 2012, but it should probably apply to all face lift models.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members