100k miles so time for a refresh?

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
I've absolutely no intentions of selling my LC and infact when trade up again plan to keep it as a second car so I'm thinking a bit of a refresh would be a good idea.

I'm thinking of stuff like droplinks, wishbone bushes, etc

Would it be worth replacing stuff like this for sake of it to tighten the car up or should I just wait until they really need doing?

:confused:

Dont mind spending a bit of money on it but dont really want to go mad spending hundreds of pounds for very little gain.

So what would you recommen I replace on a 100k mile LC?

Tyres, brakes, engine, bodywork is all in fine fettle...

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Good service wouldent go a miss and maybe a brake fluid change and general check over. Unless current bush is worn wouldent really bother replacing. Good condition engine, serviced brakes (fluid, decent pad thickness and good disc condition), decent tyres at correct pressure and you shouldent really worry.

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Its due for service and thats being done today... ;)

Brake fluid was changed a few months ago...

Its off to the garage in couple of hours to sort out an oil leak so will get them to check it over underneath whilst its up on the ramps :)

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
well you live up to your user name :p

Sounds like she's very well cared for and wanting for nothing.

How about you treat her to a nice set of shiny new rims [B)]

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Well in she went in to the garage and other than a leaky driveshaft seal its spot on ... bushes are fine so suspect they have been replaced before.

Either way it goes in for new driveshaft seal in a weeks time and whilst its apart we'll check everything over [B)]

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
hi mate, out of interest where abouts in manchester are you based? and have you taken your car to awesome at all in the past?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I suggest that you change the top mount bushes and bearings to LCR ones.
The engine mounts to INA/THS street uprated ones with DBM to suit.
Also new ARB bushes and drop links.
The Wish bone bushes to LCR ones and she'll be feeling 'toit like a tiger'
~All this will cost in the region of £400, but £400 for a new feeling car is a very good deal
I'm more like you than the above guys, get the above changed now and this will feel like a new car for the next 50,000 miles

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Well in she went in to the garage and other than a leaky driveshaft seal its spot on ... bushes are fine so suspect they have been replaced before.

Either way it goes in for new driveshaft seal in a weeks time and whilst its apart we'll check everything over [B)]

I said shaft seals ;)

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
hi mate, out of interest where abouts in manchester are you based? and have you taken your car to awesome at all in the past?

I'm North Manchester ... Kearsley / Swinton Area [B)]

I've been to awesome GTi a couple of times for parts and used them once to diagnose a problem with my car which they couldnt do unfortunately.

I use my mechanic in Burnley for anything I cant / wont do myself.

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
I suggest that you change the top mount bushes and bearings to LCR ones.
The engine mounts to INA/THS street uprated ones with DBM to suit.
Also new ARB bushes and drop links.
The Wish bone bushes to LCR ones and she'll be feeling 'toit like a tiger'
~All this will cost in the region of £400, but £400 for a new feeling car is a very good deal
I'm more like you than the above guys, get the above changed now and this will feel like a new car for the next 50,000 miles

Will do it over the next few months :) thanks!

Will sort new drop links and wishbone bushes out first... I might as well get the garage to sort whilst they are doing the driveshaft seal ;)

Got the part number for the LCR wishbone bushes?

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
I said shaft seals ;)

Indeed you did Sir :D

Apparently the gbox oil level will only drop a tiny amount and then the seal will stop leaking which is what it has done. Will be fine to next week and will stick fresh gearbox oil in it as well.

Any recommendations for gbox oil or best to stick with OE?

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Right looking at the diagrams on here I reckon first step should be:

Wishbone bushes (front and rear)
Ball joints
DBM

They are all cheap parts as well :)

Where is best place to get the Wishbone bushes and Ball joints?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Will do it over the next few months :) thanks!

Will sort new drop links and wishbone bushes out first... I might as well get the garage to sort whilst they are doing the driveshaft seal ;)

Got the part number for the LCR wishbone bushes?
See David at sere Motors for all OEM parts

Indeed you did Sir :D

Apparently the gbox oil level will only drop a tiny amount and then the seal will stop leaking which is what it has done. Will be fine to next week and will stick fresh gearbox oil in it as well.

Any recommendations for gbox oil or best to stick with OE?
Stick with OEM

Right looking at the diagrams on here I reckon first step should be:

Wishbone bushes (front and rear)
Ball joints
DBM

They are all cheap parts as well :)

Where is best place to get the Wishbone bushes and Ball joints?
David at Sere motors for genuine bits

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise