110 Turbo

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
Hi all

My 110tdi is coming up to 170k & i think its on it original turbo which is a bit noisy,rather than waiting til it fails was wondering which is the best option with the intention to remap

1.A reconditioned 110 turbo

2.A pd130 or 150 turbo

If i went down the pd turbo route what else would i need to change ?

Last edited:

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
Std atm

Have recently watch some you tube clips of turbo whine & mine dosent sound that bad tbh
Think i'm swayed towards recon 110 turbo & bigger intercooler

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Depends on your plans really, the turbo from the ALH, ASV, AJM and ABF or whatever that last one is will also fit straight on and you can pick them up second hand cheap enough. If you've no tuning plans I'd just stick with them but if you are planning on pumping out some poke then go bigger, it wont have to work as hard as yet but you'll be limited by the injectors.

I also wouldn't bother with the intercooler unless it's for style, the standard is good as is anyway. Have you seen my RR results?

Rollingroad2_zps4afe6d52.jpg

That's the same turbo as you, standard exhaust system including cat, standard air intake, intake manifold and IC so you'd really have to be pushing it to need to change them.

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
Thanks for the advice,not sure how long i'll be keeping the car as i have been looking at Fabia vrs & leon pd150's

Think i'll check turbo for play & if it needs it get a second hand 1 of a lower mileage car

What kind of life span do these turbo's usually have ?

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
As long as the car is looked after and the turbo isn't left over boosting etc then it should really last a good few hundred thousand miles. You'll often see a thread where someone has had a limp mode issue for ages and eventually their turbo has copped it, it just over stresses them.
But there's no real wear parts as such because there should always be a nice film of oil in the workings.

You come across them a lot though on the likes of the tdi club where there at mad mileage like 400,000 miles and counting.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
What seatmann said. Don't go down the pd road. The power band when tuned on the pd engine is not as nice as the engine you have.

My mates father has a 130 pd tdi Passat which he got remapped and the mate kept stalling it because it doesn't have the same bottom end torque as the tuned alh tdi engined mk2 golf that he was driving himself. Apparently very low off the idle with not much before the peak torque point.

Last edited:

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
What seatmann said. Don't go down the pd road. The power band when tuned on the pd engine is not as nice as the engine you have.

My mates father has a 130 pd tdi Passat which he got remapped and the mate kept stalling it because it doesn't have the same bottom end torque as the tuned alh tdi engined mk2 golf that he was driving himself. Apparently very low off the idle with not much before the peak torque point.

I totally agree with this statement, I had the ASV engine before the pd150 I have now and if I had the choice I would go back to that car as it has so much more low end grunt, there's nothing in the pd150 until about 2500rpm+ where as I would be wheel spinning with the 275 lbft of torque at 1800 in 1st 2nd and 3rd in my old ASV engine and vnt15 turbo.

Pd engines are really only good for mid-top end power for motorway driving and I miss the low end torque off the mark in comparison to my old common rail diesel.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
S10EAT, check your boost hoses for leaks. I had a hose blow off, replaced it and all the seals around the intercooler and adjacent pipe connections, and it has improved the low end torque a great deal :)

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I totally agree with this statement, I had the ASV engine before the pd150 I have now and if I had the choice I would go back to that car as it has so much more low end grunt, there's nothing in the pd150 until about 2500rpm+ where as I would be wheel spinning with the 275 lbft of torque at 1800 in 1st 2nd and 3rd in my old ASV engine and vnt15 turbo.

Pd engines are really only good for mid-top end power for motorway driving and I miss the low end torque off the mark in comparison to my old common rail diesel.

No sarcasm at all when I say that this statement gives me a warm feeling in my tummy an brings a tear of sentimental loss to my eye(good memories). My leon would do the same. I had to depart with my leon and now have a 90 bhp tdi cordoba vario that my wee girls are cramped in and an audi a6 1.8t (150bhp) that has a timing issue at the minute and would get its backside whipped by the cordoba at the minute. The cordoba is standard power wise bar a straight through 2 1/4 inch exhaust with decat.

Last edited:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
It's the bigger turbos and tuning that takes some of the low end away, the AJM PD115 for instance using the same turbo as the ASV etc has good low end torque.
The other thing is that low end kick is good for a buzz but it does take away power further up which is where you want it for over taking and that.
I also don't want to wheel spin to much, the rainsport 2's in 17's are like £100 a pop lol

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
S10EAT, check your boost hoses for leaks. I had a hose blow off, replaced it and all the seals around the intercooler and adjacent pipe connections, and it has improved the low end torque a great deal :)

Muttley,

As far as I know my hoses are good, my lower hoses are sfs with a darkside adaptor out of the turbo, I'm boosting to about 24 psi with 27 psi spikes at the moment (I switched back to a blacksmoke map) I have ordered a new injector loom as my injection quantity values are all over the place, specifically on cylinder 4 @ +1.40, inj 1= -0.05 inj 2= -0.50 inj 3= -0.75 oh and mpg Is shite with or without the map, 34-43 mpg no matter how its driven, long or short journeys.

When on boost though it does sound like there's a leak but I've checked and checked the hoses, so the only thing left could possibly be the intercooler itself, even went back to standard hoses and it made the same noise.

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Haven't noticed any oil on the body of the intercooler itself, there's a good amount of oil coming out of the turbo though, nothing leaking on the connections just inside the pipes, its been like this since I got it about 8000 miles ago.

I'll have to see if I can get an audio clip of the noise.

Very frustrating as my ASV tuned would get 48 mpg even when ragging it! And that was with 0.216 injectors.

I'll get a few video clips up of a power run and see what you guys think.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
It's the bigger turbos and tuning that takes some of the low end away, the AJM PD115 for instance using the same turbo as the ASV etc has good low end torque.
The other thing is that low end kick is good for a buzz but it does take away power further up which is where you want it for over taking and that.
I also don't want to wheel spin to much, the rainsport 2's in 17's are like £100 a pop lol

Is it not to do with the injection sytem? A 130bhp tdi typically remaps to about 165bhp and an ASV tdi can be tuned to that with a change of nossles. The car coming on boost is a lot more sudden than the ASV as well. I mean nothing then bang, here we go. Very harsh on clutches and cv joints. Were as the asv engine builds strong from 1300 rpm and there's even usable power before that.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise