110TDI with GT1756 hybrid

trebormint

Sep 17, 2008
Swindon
Bit of an update on the oil temperature. I did a track day on Saturday and the oil temp was @ 105degC bit too hot! So I will be fitting the better oilcooler sooner rather than later!

I will be fitting the FMIC in a few weeks so that should be interesting, together with the custom pipe work and PD intake manifold off a Passat.

Surely passat intake manifold won't fit as the inlet is 180 degrees the other way???

I thought you can only use manifolds from transverse mounted engines, i.e bora, ibiza, toledo, golf etc?

Otherwise the inlet will be pointing towards the maf, and would need extra pipework to fit it from the intercooler???

brad1

There is a known mod on tdiclub, where the one-way valve in the feed pipe in the tank can be 'drilled' out. This gets rid of the restriction that the injection pump has to overcome and allows a freer flow of fuel to the pump. When I did this I could rev the engine past 4000rpm much more easily; hence there much be less of a restriction.
The valve is there I understand to stop the fuel draining back to the tank when the fuel filter is replaced.

Hello mate, these mod seems interesting, if i come to yours, you fancy doing it for me as you will know what to do?? How long will it take?? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
Here we go then. Passat intake fitted :p Notice the new location of the air intake pipe...

enginebaywithnewpipework.jpg

pancakepipeinstalled.jpg

Forge 'pancake pipe' fits a treat!

FMICview.jpg

THS FMIC... Made up my own brackets to fit the FMIC in place.

FMICviewenginebay.jpg

EGRpipesetc.jpg

You can just see the high pressure intake to the Passat manifold. I wanted this type so I could have less bends in the intercooler pipework. There is also the benefit of having a large intake pipe to the turbo which is kept away from the hot exhaust manifold.

Last edited:

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
Engine bay is hot anyway, yes, but having a metal pipe over where the exhaust is, is not going the help matters. I thought the intake pipe was gona have to pass over the exhaust area anyway, but once I had the new manifold in place it was obvious it would have the go infront of it..
It sounds awesome when the turbo is spooling up, must be due to the large 70mm diameter ally intake pipe which take out a big restriction: the original pipe is quite a twisty restrictive plastic thing.

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
PIC_0707.jpg

Interesting read, just noticed you have got an EGT gauge fitted, is the that the recommended position for the probe? What temps do you see on WOT and have you got any pics of the gauge? Also what is the max EGT of the turbo? Thanks

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
PIC_0707.jpg

Interesting read, just noticed you have got an EGT gauge fitted, is the that the recommended position for the probe? What temps do you see on WOT and have you got any pics of the gauge? Also what is the max EGT of the turbo? Thanks

The EGT probe is in about the best position I felt it was safe to put it. It could have got closer to the turbine but I was a bit worried about weakening the down-pipe part of the manifold, so I opted for this location instead. It gives a good response, almost reacting immediately.
At WOT I have seen about 950°F (510°C). Once the engine has been mapped that could go to 1400°F+. I will get a pic of the gauge layout, which was a bit of a scratch built item as I only have a single pillar pod for the boost gauge :)

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
Just a little update :D

Had the engine remapped by DieselInside.com and the result is unbelievable! I have power all the way to the red line and acceleration in 5th is frightening :lol: I am told that once I have installed a fuel pump to feed the injection pump a nice constant supply of diesel and the map adjusted accordingly it should be pushing out over 200bhp at the fly :D

jezzag60

Sounds good. Would be interesting to see a dyno plot once its all done!

Glen Mk3 TDI

looking good pal. looking at the treads on here make me wana spend money :D

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
I know :D Once you start you can't stop :cartman:

I think the head has lifted in some full throttle to red line test I have been doing to get data logs for the tuner: the coolant tank was over-pressurized, not surprising really, it has been running 24psi normal boost and 28psi peak :blink:

I am hoping to do an engine strip down next year and install some Rosten (www.rosten-performance.com) H-beam connecting rods to keep the bottom end together: I dont want to blow a hole in the block on a track day ;)

Glen Mk3 TDI

where did you get you de-cat pipe from and how much was it? cheers.

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
This was my old thread and no longer have the Leon, but does anyone know where it is now? I know this is a long shot. I've looked up the reg and its on a sorn,, but apart from that I know nothing.