1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

110TDI with GT1756 hybrid

Discussion in 'TDi Tuning' started by jasengine, Jun 16, 2009.

1. trebormint

trebormint Active Member

Surely passat intake manifold won't fit as the inlet is 180 degrees the other way???

I thought you can only use manifolds from transverse mounted engines, i.e bora, ibiza, toledo, golf etc?

Otherwise the inlet will be pointing towards the maf, and would need extra pipework to fit it from the intercooler???

2. brad1

brad1 Guest

Hello mate, these mod seems interesting, if i come to yours, you fancy doing it for me as you will know what to do?? How long will it take?? :)

#22 brad1, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2009
  3. jasengine

jasengine 2.0L TDI

Here we go then. Passat intake fitted :p Notice the new location of the air intake pipe...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forge 'pancake pipe' fits a treat!

[​IMG]

THS FMIC... Made up my own brackets to fit the FMIC in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can just see the high pressure intake to the Passat manifold. I wanted this type so I could have less bends in the intercooler pipework. There is also the benefit of having a large intake pipe to the turbo which is kept away from the hot exhaust manifold.

#23 jasengine, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  4. dave_ph

dave_ph :)

surely the engine would just heat the intake air up anyway?

5. jasengine

jasengine 2.0L TDI

Engine bay is hot anyway, yes, but having a metal pipe over where the exhaust is, is not going the help matters. I thought the intake pipe was gona have to pass over the exhaust area anyway, but once I had the new manifold in place it was obvious it would have the go infront of it..
    It sounds awesome when the turbo is spooling up, must be due to the large 70mm diameter ally intake pipe which take out a big restriction: the original pipe is quite a twisty restrictive plastic thing.

6. Bogwoppit

Bogwoppit Full Member

[​IMG]

Interesting read, just noticed you have got an EGT gauge fitted, is the that the recommended position for the probe? What temps do you see on WOT and have you got any pics of the gauge? Also what is the max EGT of the turbo? Thanks

7. jasengine

jasengine 2.0L TDI

The EGT probe is in about the best position I felt it was safe to put it. It could have got closer to the turbine but I was a bit worried about weakening the down-pipe part of the manifold, so I opted for this location instead. It gives a good response, almost reacting immediately.
    At WOT I have seen about 950°F (510°C). Once the engine has been mapped that could go to 1400°F+. I will get a pic of the gauge layout, which was a bit of a scratch built item as I only have a single pillar pod for the boost gauge :)

8. jasengine

jasengine 2.0L TDI

Just a little update :D

Had the engine remapped by DieselInside.com and the result is unbelievable! I have power all the way to the red line and acceleration in 5th is frightening :lol: I am told that once I have installed a fuel pump to feed the injection pump a nice constant supply of diesel and the map adjusted accordingly it should be pushing out over 200bhp at the fly :D

9. jezzag60

jezzag60 Guest

Sounds good. Would be interesting to see a dyno plot once its all done!

10. jasengine

jasengine 2.0L TDI

I hope to do a dyno run later this year. Watch this space!

11. Glen Mk3 TDI

Glen Mk3 TDI Guest

looking good pal. looking at the treads on here make me wana spend money :D

12. jasengine

jasengine 2.0L TDI

I know :D Once you start you can't stop :cartman:

I think the head has lifted in some full throttle to red line test I have been doing to get data logs for the tuner: the coolant tank was over-pressurized, not surprising really, it has been running 24psi normal boost and 28psi peak :blink:

I am hoping to do an engine strip down next year and install some Rosten (www.rosten-performance.com) H-beam connecting rods to keep the bottom end together: I dont want to blow a hole in the block on a track day ;)

13. Glen Mk3 TDI

Glen Mk3 TDI Guest

where did you get you de-cat pipe from and how much was it? cheers.

14. jasengine

jasengine 2.0L TDI

This was my old thread and no longer have the Leon, but does anyone know where it is now? I know this is a long shot. I've looked up the reg and its on a sorn,, but apart from that I know nothing.