14 plate 1.8tsi Leon FR DSG

JCM27

Apr 15, 2019
Hi all, looking at the above far and just wanted to know if there's anything I should look out for.

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
The usual Leon problems like creaky interior, cracked LED rear lights etc. To my knowledge and in my experience there aren’t any problems specific to the 1.8 tsi.

JCM27

Apr 15, 2019
The usual Leon problems like creaky interior, cracked LED rear lights etc. To my knowledge and in my experience there aren’t any problems specific to the 1.8 tsi.
Yeah previously had a 1.2tsi se so knew about the usual problems.

Check the DSG has been serviced I think it's an every five year service
Will definitely check the dsg service. Only thing worried me is the dry clutch used on the 1.8tsi dsg

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
Yeah previously had a 1.2tsi se so knew about the usual problems.

Will definitely check the dsg service. Only thing worried me is the dry clutch used on the 1.8tsi dsg

There is no service requirement for the dry clutch DSG. It's a dry clutch so no oil to change like with the wet clutch DSG.

Be aware of clutch judder when the gearbox changes between 1st & 2nd, or 2nd & 3rd in auto. It can feel quite slight and not to obvious, worse in colder weather and before the gearbox warms up. Had this on our car and the clutch packs were replaced under warranty at just under 3 years old and approx 20k miles. Would have cost over £2000.

Check if the cars history shows water-pump replacement. It will probably already have failed on a 14 plate car if it was going to.

It's a fantastic car though, faster than the official 0-60 figures suggest, great engine.

JCM27

Apr 15, 2019
Not to sound daft but what does the water-pump replacement have to do with the clutch packs?

Looking at the service history of the car, I don't see any mention of clutch pack or water-pump work being done. My guess is the previous owner knew about these and traded it in before they needed done.

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
Not to sound daft but what does the water-pump replacement have to do with the clutch packs?

Looking at the service history of the car, I don't see any mention of clutch pack or water-pump work being done. My guess is the previous owner knew about these and traded it in before they needed done.
Water pump has nothing to do with the clutch packs, other than they are two separate items that I'm aware of as being potentially troublesome on that vehicle.

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
FWIW I own a 13 plate 1.8 TSI with DSG which had been pretty much trouble free for 5 years... up until last week...

Had a low coolant warning last summer but garage couldn't find a leak and it's only required a couple of top ups with G13 since.

Last month the motor for the boot latch out and the warning light plus buzzer went off every time I went over a bump but thankfully garage was able to replace it the following day.

However my car came up with these warnings last Tuesday night and the engine overheated merely limping across town at 30mph.

Photo 28-08-2019, 09 02 32.jpg

It had new temperature sensors fitted on Friday but that didn't clear the error and the mechanic then noticed a coolant leak. So now waiting for water pumps (electric and mechanical both need replacing I've been informed) to be delivered and fitted.

In the meantime I've been driving a 19 plate Vauxhall Insignia and I've been pleasantly surprised with the cabin plus the auto is much smoother than the old DQ200 DSG (2nd and 6th gear bit clunky in my car) when driving around town. Although the 1.5 SRi does feel a bit weedy compared to my 1.8 TSi when on A roads.

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
FWIW I own a 13 plate 1.8 TSI with DSG which had been pretty much trouble free for 5 years... up until last week...

Had a low coolant warning last summer but garage couldn't find a leak and it's only required a couple of top ups with G13 since.

Last month the motor for the boot latch out and the warning light plus buzzer went off every time I went over a bump but thankfully garage was able to replace it the following day.

However my car came up with these warnings last Tuesday night and the engine overheated merely limping across town at 30mph.

View attachment 9681

It had new temperature sensors fitted on Friday but that didn't clear the error and the mechanic then noticed a coolant leak. So now waiting for water pumps (electric and mechanical both need replacing I've been informed) to be delivered and fitted.

In the meantime I've been driving a 19 plate Vauxhall Insignia and I've been pleasantly surprised with the cabin plus the auto is much smoother than the old DQ200 DSG (2nd and 6th gear bit clunky in my car) when driving around town. Although the 1.5 SRi does feel a bit weedy compared to my 1.8 TSi when on A roads.

oh how i miss the shortcut buttons

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
oh how i miss the shortcut buttons
Yeah after a week in an Insignia I did miss how handy those good old shortcut buttons are. Although the MIB1 does feel rather slow and antiquated now I’m back in my Leon.

Hopefully the £700 of repairs to the coolant system keep my 1.8 TSi going until I can afford a nearly new Mk4 with new improved infotainment system.