150 tdi clutch info

Beefy-Toledo

Jan 31, 2009
Hey there i have a leon 150 tdi pd 1.9 diesel and the clutch has started slipping under load, i was just looking for some info on where i can get myself a replacement clutch? There is no flywheel judder so can i just replace the clutch?

Also is it possible to get a replacement clutch and single solid flywheel conversion?
If you guys could post some links i would really appreciate it. Cheers.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
dont bother with a sinlge mass, you can buy a standard replacement (in a kit: clutch, flywheel, release bearing etc) for about £300-400 from the likes of andrew pages or GSF which are just as good as dealer supplied ones and are often the same make with vag stamps on them.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
a search would have brought a wealth of info up

depends on what you plan , if keeping as is then std is fine

if your getting remapped / modding then you will need an uprated one as it wouldnt last long ,

again alot of debate on whether to continue wuth DMF or convert to single mass

Beefy-Toledo

Jan 31, 2009
Ok well the car is remapped so i would maybe need an uprated clutch, thing is i can get a standard replacement for 130 from a mate who works in a car place. Would i be abe to buy that and fit it using the current flywheel on the car as it seems to be fine and dosent really judder, only the clutch is the problem.

Have you any links to an aftermarket clutch setup. Cheers i will search in future.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
not really any point if its mapped its prob what is causing the clutch to slip in the first place,

a little more info to, i,e milage of car , what remap when was it mapped

if its only just been mapped over a few months then theres the tell tale signs of weakness

if you then want a good clutch , i thing youd better sit down while trying to get some quotes

its the best part of a grand

look in the sponsors section here for companies to provide

off the cuff , awsome gti, amd, jbs etc,

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
To be honest a standard clutch/flywheel setup will be able to cope if its only a re-map, its when you intend to go hybrid that you need to consider one. Mines running 200bhp on the standard clutch and it never slips - even when i drive like a tit, which used to be quite often.

Beefy-Toledo

Jan 31, 2009
The car was mapped in june before i bought the car, its apparently sitting at 200hp but not proven but goes much better than my old 130 which was mapped.

There is currently 105k on the car but has full history and has been very well looked after, i can get the power down and control the clutch if i drive it right so i suppose i can live with it for now.

There seems to be a few people that believe if you drive the car right on a standard clutch it will cope fine so i'm not sure what to do now as i can get a clutch bought and fitted for 230 but wouldnt be any use if there is in fact plenty of life in my own clutch and its simply the power causing it to slip.

Just wish i could tell if my current clutch was almost done somehow.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Drive down the road and double clutch it and see if it grips or slips, mine was replaced Earlier in the year with standard and when i first carried out all the mods i really put it through its paces and it has never slipped.
The thing is the standard clutch was built within a certain tolerence which is to cope with about 350ft/lbs of torque (or there abouts, please correct me if i'm wrong guys) so having your car remapped suddenly throws another 50 or so ft/lbs into the mix and takes it out of its standard tolerence which is why (as most components will) it might slightly decrease its life span, but if you drive it liberally there is no reason why it cant last just as long post remap.
Some people complain that there higher spec clutch is too hard or has worn out alot faster than the standard one, this is because once they are fitted the people allow no time for it to bed in and just believe they have a licience to be lead footed and this is not the case - at the end of the day its still a clutch (friction on friction component) and is goin to be a weak point regardless.
However there is loads of info and opinions on here of higher spec clutches and SMF - one person who has a vast knowledge of them is Devonmickeyboy, check out some of his replies on clutch threads.

Beefy-Toledo

Jan 31, 2009
Cheers for the advice mate, i think i might go with a standard clutch as aint got the budget for an uprated one at the minute. The guy i bought the car from says it should be running 320lb/ft torque but im thinking if i put in a new standard clutch and drive the car in na way that i only plant it after 2k then the clutch should hold out fine as it won't be under too much load (ie no foot down at 1500rpm)

Also am i right in assuming i can use my current flywheel and fit it to my new clutch and not have to change it also as it seems fine?

Cheers for all your help guys.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
I was high-lighting the fact that you can buy the exact same thing made in the same factory for a lot less than a dealer will supply them for vag uses bosch, siemens and a whole range of other companies too but they still stamp there logo on there parts.

skullmunki

Ding Ding Round 2!!!
Nov 12, 2006
The thing is the standard clutch was built within a certain tolerence which is to cope with about 350ft/lbs of torque

I thought it was 300 ft/lbs for a standard clutch?

Some people seem to be lucky and get away with a standard setup, but I didn't want to risk having to change it again 6 months later and went for an uprated unit.

Ok guys i have been looking on kerma tdi and they seem to have clutches at very reasonable prices.

Can anyone confirm if any of these kits will do my job and handle the power fine or will they not fit my car?

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse--dsh-Clutches/Categories

If you are thinking of importing a clutch, be careful because you will have shipping charges AND import duty to pay, so with the exchange rate being as poo as it is at the moment, you might be better off getting one over here.

Plus, check warranty details...I know some clutch companies will only honour clutch issues if you had a new flywheel fitted at the same time (or had it resurfaced)

Last edited:

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
well that uprated one works out at £307 dont think it includes the flywheel which is prob another 2/300
ontop

South Bend Clutch Stage 3 for TDI DMF
SKU: SBC3DMF

South Bend Stage 3 for use with the dual mass flywheel that comes standard on TDIs
Sach Clutch pack with stronger springs and dual friction Woven meta on one side and Feramic on the other
Holds about 380 ft lbs of torque with the DMF
Golf/Jetta/Beetle TDI Mk4 1999.5 - 2006

PRICE: $449.00

Beefy-Toledo

Jan 31, 2009
Was just wondering here, if i remove the remap and put the car back to the standard map will the clutch still slip? At the minute it only slips at around 2k and up to 3k then settles and pulls normally. Let me know what you guys think. Cheers.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise