16 inch rims or not?

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Hi everyone!

I've got std 15 inch alloys on my Mk2.

These are in mint cond. but I'am in need of new tyres and was thinking about using this as an opportunity to step up to 16 inch (looks/handling ..etc).

Is it a good idea as I've noticed prices of decent tyres are almost double that of 15 inch alloys?

Whats the opinion?

Cheers

Cryptedvibe

Apr 26, 2005
Well I got 17 inch on mine, bridgestone potenza 205/40/17 cost me £75 a corner, but my mates got 16 inch, but same tyre costs him £103 a corner. Looks wise, 17 are slightly better looking, but apparently 16s have better handling, but i doubt any normal driver would notice, you would have to push the car to the edge to notice. Hope you find your new wheels soon.

EvilKinevil

Mar 24, 2004
Scotland
I'm running 16's at the moment with 195/45/16 tyres when the summer comes (if?) I'm putting back on my 16" OZ super T's with 215/40/16 tyres as they are just back from refurb.

I agree with 17's looking better but 16's look just as good when clean, depends on how much cash you have to spend?

try mytyres.co.uk or some of the online tyre suppliers for prices, they change almost weekly but I pay about £100 for 2 inc fitting a balanceing in either of the sizes I use (thats about £40 each plus fitting)

why don't you look on fleabay or in your local free ad's for alloys or tyres to give you an idea for prices I bought my Ibiza 20VT rims from a guy on here for £200 + delivery for 4 minted wheels + 2 new tyres, 2 just legal tyres.
But before I paid £180 for my OZ's with 2 good tyres 2 bald.

It really depends on your budget and what you want but don't forget to buy some wheel locks!!

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
I've had on my mk2's 13"s, 17"s, 15"s, never 16"s.

Handling wise, depends on the suspension setup mostly IMO. Had 17"s with rock hard springs, and on good road it was like poo to a quilt. However, a proper suspension will benefit more from 16"s.

Looks wise, on standard 8v susp, 16"s and 17"s look crap without a little lowering. The 16v Ibiza's sit slightly lower than the 8v which makes a difference to looks, with 16"s it doesn't have to be slammed to look right, but with 17"s it does, and might require some tweaking in height back and front to be completely happy.

Just my reckoning.

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
EvilKinevil said:

Normally white yes, I've seen in the past a number of Cordy's with these as standard, think they were originally for them primarily. Still not bad for £130 if the bidding stays around that. I've found the SEAT alloys to be a little heavier than most after market alloys. This means they're a little bit stronger for everyday driving, ie the odd bump on the kerb. Alloys less likely to buckle. My 15"s are comparable to my old 17"s in weight. Think my 17"s were actually a tad lighter infact.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Running 215/40/16 on a 7J rim, tyres cost £43.50 delivered then their was fitting, I paid £10.00 per tyre but that was because i went to the one place that could gaurantee they would not mark the alloys at all.

IMO, stick 18"s on deck it 40mm and get on with it :)

I used to have 16"s on mine and they were sweet for handling. But unfortunately they didnt look the part for me. 18"s dont handle great as they catch so I have got spacers on mine and rather wide arches. Ability to drive on rails returned :)

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
stick 17s on, they dont rub much... bit of grinding, and they dont need spacers... at the back. mine scrub a little at the front but ive just got used to not having full lock any more. look nice too. dont get multi spoke 17s. my opinion is they look too fussy on the car especially if its not lowered...

have a look at mine in the signature its lowered 40mm on 7x17s

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
ibiza_95 said:
stick 17s on, they dont rub much... bit of grinding, and they dont need spacers... at the back. mine scrub a little at the front but ive just got used to not having full lock any more. look nice too. dont get multi spoke 17s. my opinion is they look too fussy on the car especially if its not lowered...

have a look at mine in the signature its lowered 40mm on 7x17s

Mate you can fix the problem on full lock, it's just a lump in the wheel arch liner that you need to flatten out ;)

spacers should do the trick that you were too scared to release anthony angle grinder on. Has your gf seen the light and got rid of the saxo?

have u seen there safety rating on ncap, have u seen how tinny and crap they are.

Die saxo's die lol

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
aww its a neat little car, not the most comfortable on long journeys tho.
i didnt want to take the grinder to my arch... area bit, thought about it and then thought that there would be an easier less destructive way of doing things.

anyone know or have any idea what size spacers i might need.
cheers in advance

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Hi everyone,

Just had second punture in two months which was quite literally the "last nail".

Decided to keep the 15's and purchase x4 Toyo PROXES T1-R's - for a very reasonable £132!!! :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.