16786 EGR Excess flow!

neil1williams

Mar 1, 2002
brighton
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Not having a good time with my car lately seems everythings going all together (new battery 2 weeks ago), I have a MK1 Leon, last weekend the engine light came on, Cars running fine however seems fairly low MPG at the moment.

So I've ran VAGCOM and faults are as follows.
Engine 16786 EGR Excess flow
17566 pressure sensor

CAN gateway 01314 ECM

I can print VAGCOM results if required,
I've cleared the codes and the engine hunts when idling. After running up and down the road a couple of times, code 16786 comes up again however now when idling it's absoulte fine, and under readiness EGR is Passed. Yet when the fault code is cleared it's False/Failed.?

After about an hour the engine lights comes back on.

I have also had EPC light come twice over the last few days however clears after the ignitions switched off.

Then today the Oil light flashed and beeped three times, So I pulled over and checked. Went to Halfords and brought some Oil just in case, topped up a bit and carried onwards on a stop/start journey, came on a few times during various parts.
So I checked the Oil from cold, only to find it's sitting on 3/4 dipstick level, added a little more.
However still lights up, after checking the manuel to see if it was Oil pressure, it says something like these symptoms the car should not be driven and contact dealer.

The cars currently not been used:censored:just collecting snow, but i'm not to sure where to start? Any idea's.

I really need to find a solution.

Thanks

kineticz

Forever moddin'
Jul 23, 2008
Shropshire
www.wepaintanypart.co.uk
Sounds like your EGR valve isn't opening properly mate, possibly gunked up, or could be a clogged intake.

The MAF sensor then detects this as 'excessive' flow since air is not passing through properly.

Last edited:

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
sos to hear your problems mate.....
all i want is for my leon to come back for xmas, as she has been taken to the accident repair centre cos some chav hit and run my car on wed night, (when it was on my driveway!)....this has cost me 4 years no claims, and 500 excess.....

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
From Ross Tech Wiki:

16786/P0402/001026 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR): Excessive Flow
Possible Symptoms

* Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
* Reduced Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
* Reduced Power Output/Engine running rough
* Increased Emissions

Possible Causes

* Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve stuck open/leaking/faulty
* Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System leaking/faulty
* Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve faulty

Possible Solutions

* Check/Clean Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System
* Check/Replace Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve
* Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve

neil1williams

Mar 1, 2002
brighton
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to try looking at it today in the snow.

DPJ I did popped into the dealer last week to ask about the MAF sensor and where it was on my car, the guy came out and had a look, after 3-4 mins said doesn't look like yours has one? There is no sensor between the airbox and the carbarator.

Where is the EGR? And how could I check it.

I've checked for damage to both lambda sensor seem ok, these where replaced about 18 months ago.

Is the fault on the CAN gateway related to this, as it's saying no commication?

Sorry to DOLBY to heard about the chav, I would hunt him down and pop his knee caps

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Does your car have the air cleaner in the engine cover? if so, these cars don't have a MAF, their 4LV injection system does without.

Have you changed your oil filter recently? Blocked filter might cause low oil pressure.

neil1williams

Mar 1, 2002
brighton
Visit site
Yes the engine has the air filter mounted on top of the engine in a large box that covers the whole engine, this just pulls off. I have change the air filter about 8 months ago and also last weekend before the oil light start started flashing.