17" team dynamics alloy wheels for mk2 leon

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
As above, looking at a set of 17" pro race 1.2 black alloy wheels for a silver mk2 fr. anyone else got 17"aftermarket wheels?worried they might be a bit too small and look stupid, should i just hang on and get the 18's instead? also worried how 18's will effect the suspension, will it make it more crashy than the 17's?i have 17" oem alloys at the minute. also, weight-wise, the 17's will be lighter. any thoughts?

JMP

May 27, 2004
I want a set of 17" TD alloys too, because they are lighter, weight is closer to center, also cheaper and more comfortable. For my Cupra Im not 100% sure if they fit over my brakes and I cant do a trial fit anywhere here. I already have a set of these 17" wheels for my winter tyres but I want something lighter for summer. I tried contacting rimstock directly but no respond.

Heres my car with 17" wheels and below a Golf with 17" prorace 1.2. The golf looks quite purposeful IMHO..

cupra_sivu.jpg

4258314772_8382c76547_b.jpg

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
hey jmp, thanks for that, yeah the 17's look good actually, i thought that extra inch might make them look a little small, but its really not that noticeable. yeah the comfort factor along with the weight saving is a big issue for me. i take it youve got coilovers then on your cupra?sitting real nice and low there. the golf looks really good. im just wandering about the black alloys on the silver leon. too common?

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
i got mine from rimstock direct and for a very good price, i went for 18's purely because i think the car looks quite bulky from the side and didnt want the wheels to look silly against it.

try this number 01215256500 (ash) is the guys name and he sorted me out

this was a few months ago but still worth a try mate

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
I have 17" TDPR 1.2's on my Edition 30 and also have a silver set of 18" ones. I much prefer the 17" ones as they just feel better. The bonus for me is that they fit over my TAROX 10 POT brake set up by a mile. Not sure if the 17's would fit over cupra brakes, but they would definitely go over the FR's.:)

Last edited:

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
yeah, you can get the 17's in a range of options, but i take it 17x8.0 is the best, rather than 17x7.0/17x7.5?
i think the 17's are just a more sensible option, especially considering the ride quality of the fr

i really must be gettin old

JMP

May 27, 2004
Yeah I think Im getting old too :) I was thinking the optimal size would be 17*8" with ET45.

I read from VWvortex that Oz Alleggerita 17" size fits over mkV Golf R32 brakes so that would fit Cupra also. But thats a lot more expensive wheel and doesnt look as good in that size. But its also lighter the prorace 1.2.

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Yeah I think Im getting old too :) I was thinking the optimal size would be 17*8" with ET45.

I read from VWvortex that Oz Alleggerita 17" size fits over mkV Golf R32 brakes so that would fit Cupra also. But thats a lot more expensive wheel and doesnt look as good in that size. But its also lighter the prorace 1.2.

17x7.5 or 17x8 are the best options. The 17x8 is no lighter than the 18x8 alloy though once you take the extra weight of the tyre into consideration.

JMP

May 27, 2004
17x7.5 or 17x8 are the best options. The 17x8 is no lighter than the 18x8 alloy though once you take the extra weight of the tyre into consideration.

Your right about total weight. There is not much to gained there, but the weight is still a bit closer to the hub which makes it easier to turn.

I do feel the difference between my 225/45-17 and 225/40-18 wheels and tyres. Overall the weight is pretty similar but with the 17s car does feel just a bit more powerful.

I just received the wheel profile of 17" TD in PDF file from rimstock. So I can just print it out and test fit on car :) excellent service.

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
imo the 17s look far to small on a leon, because the spokes dont go right to the edge it makes the TD's 1.2 look even smaller. 18" ftw and their isnt that much difference surely, i would compromise on looks and weight and get the 18s.

JMP

May 27, 2004
yeah they are good. have you thought about 1.3's mate, they look a bit better and will give your car a wider look

Actually no I havent, they dont seem to be advertised as much as the 1.2's. I just googled them and they do actually look better.

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
+1, but your car will probebly be a fair bit comfier with the 17's due to the higher profile tyre it will allow

Comfort lol i have solid engine mounts, comfort doesnt even come into it. But for the OAP's on this forum 17's would just look lost on the leon and would need a fairly substantial drop to make them work, which wont do much for the ride comfort either.

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
yeah, i wanted to buy them but they hadnt been released yet (last year) phone ash and ask him about them. they are supposed to be lighter than the 1.2's and i agree look better.

see what he says about fitment for your car. let me know i might go for a set for the track, also we might get them cheaper if theres a few of us

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
i think that looks really good hurdy. also, with the 17's its gonna save a bit of money too when it comes to getting any sort of decent performance tyre. are the arches in the leon a lot wider than the golf?

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
i think that looks really good hurdy. also, with the 17's its gonna save a bit of money too when it comes to getting any sort of decent performance tyre. are the arches in the leon a lot wider than the golf?

I wouldn't say so as they have the exact same fitment issues once you go lower or the alloys go bigger/different offsets.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.