18" BBS SEAT Sport Wheel - Cracked!

jamfool

Search + Read = ANSWERS!
Aug 15, 2005
Nottingham
Recently got my hands on a Black TFSI with all the extras, with the BTCC 'inspired' (lol) bodykit and the 18" BBS SEAT Sport Alloys. - Pretty damn happy, apart from -

The speakers are pants! Rear drivers side tweeter rattles loads, so will be sorting that out in due course.

Anyway, three days after Miltek had it in to develop the exhaust to offer those of us with the twin outlet bumper, R32 style, i had one of those accidents that will change my view on the motorways from now on.

As the title suggests, doing about 75 on the motorway just on the way back from Birmingham Airport, we hit something that came into view under a bridge at the last second. It went under the front drivers side wheel, huge bang, flipped up under the car, scrapped the underside (a couple of inches off where the fuel line runs i think) then straight into the back wheel. Whatever it was went straight through the tyre, actually bent and distorted the wheel and cracked the forged aluminium. Needless to say the tyre deflated instantly and that's not the best thing to have happen at that speed and late at night. Possibly a brick, or something that shape based on the slice through the tyre.

After contacting BBS directly, it's now being dealt with by the export manager for the whole of the company...they are footing the bill for shipping it too. Everyone who has seen the wheel all say 'never seen that before, and it certainly should not have happened'. If it had been the front wheel, i probably wouldn't be sat here now.

So, i'm currently awaiting their evaluation of the wheel to decide what's to be done. Hopefully there will be some form of compensation, or possibly just payment for the replacement wheel.

Has anyone experienced this before with forged wheels? Sh!t me up big time!

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Sounds like you hit a very hard object

I wouldn't 'expect' them to pay out at all given that it's not a material flaw- so anything you get is a bonus

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
It does sound like you hit a brick or similar object, probably more out of control kids getting bored, bricks generally dont just fall off bridges!!

Hope they see you good, have you contacted your insurance company aswell?

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
Sorry to hear about your experience, I did however read an article on another site where they were testing the Mondeo ST with 18" wheels. One of the test cars wheels cracked, in fact split all the way down the centre. I'll try & find the link now...

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Jamfool

Glad your ok. i had a similar experience years ago on the A12, turned out to be part of a vans gearbox:(

Please keep us posted re the alloy, i have the same on mine.

Best of luck

Rob

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.