18" leon cupra wheels - straight on ibiza cupra????

cupra1981r

im thinking of getting some leon cupra wheels to replace my 17" ibiza rims. does anyone no 100% that they'll go on ok with no rubbing? cheers...

secondly, does anyone no which air filter is best for my ibiza cupra tdi, and are they worthwhile?

:)

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Probably won't rub but they would make your speedo read a little incorrectly and sap power (rolling resistance and weight) as well as making the car look a little odd (18's generally make the mk4 look like it's on roller skates). What's wrong with the Ibiza Cupra ones?

Green Cotton panel filter is what most people go for.

LoDa

Oct 12, 2008
Southampton
Probably won't rub but they would make your speedo read a little incorrectly and sap power (rolling resistance and weight) as well as making the car look a little odd (18's generally make the mk4 look like it's on roller skates). What's wrong with the Ibiza Cupra ones?

Green Cotton panel filter is what most people go for.

If you already have 17" Cupra Alloys on it I wouldn't change them.

Yes to green cotton air filter - my exhaust doesn't look like a victorian chimney when I accelerate now

cupra1981r

just think 17's are little small. i'd like to get them sprayed bit darker to. i can deal with speedo being slightly out, im used to it. if i get it mapped i wont be loosing out on any speed either tho...:blink:

cupra1981r

oh, cheers for air filter info. sounds worthwhile then yeah?

cupra1981r

ok, with your remap. is your clutch standard? does it cope ok...

im wanting to do a stage 1, but cant afford a clutch at mo? ta

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
the lcr wheels are completely flat whereas standard Ibiza cupra wheels protrude slightly to get around the brake calipers so I doubt if LCR wheels would fit anyway.

LoDa

Oct 12, 2008
Southampton
ok, with your remap. is your clutch standard? does it cope ok...

im wanting to do a stage 1, but cant afford a clutch at mo? ta

I don't know about everyone but I am having to change my clutch to a Sachs because this one is slipping at peak torque. I was glad to get my Revo Remap but I would wait to get the clutch and air filter done at the same time. Just from my experience

And think of the performance gains if you get a remap and have 17"s instead of 18"s. Its up to you but it won't help handling, speed or anything. You speedo will actualy read slow so it would be easier to pick up speeding tickets etc.

Last edited:

cupra1981r

just dont think i can justify spending £1k for a remap! i've always liked the idea that with a remap you get big increases for relatively small amounts of money. having to fit a new clutch kinda takes that away...:confused:

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
This is true but your clutch will go at some point anyway so why not replace with an uprated one and get a nice 200BHP and a load of tourque (Cupra TDi).

In theory the 18" sound cool. In practice I dont think its a good idea. Even if you went for really low profile tires the ride quality will suffer.

cupra1981r

yeah i was just wondering about the wheels. prob leave them anyway. just didnt wonna have to spend big dosh on clutch..

you got 1 then? :shrug:

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
I've got a remap but i'm getting a clutch and a custom map over the next couple of months. if you want to get a remap and not have to worry about accelerating hard at certain rev's a new clutch is usualy a good idea (more so on higher milage cars).

cupra1981r

how long have you had your map? is it starting to slip?

i've done 38k. so most people say get uprated clutch and a custom map, yeah? do you regret getting a stage 1 then as thats effectively dead money?:headhurt:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.