180 cupra sounds like Darth Vader? Search Help? - Updated!!

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
Recently I have noticed that my car makes, what I can only discribe as a "darth Vader" breathing sound at low revs. When I am lightly feathering the throttle to pull in to a parking space or my drive it makes this noise.

This noise is not from the DV as this make a little woosh when I take my foot off the throttle and can be heard at the same time as this one.

Its a really hard noise to discribe and not one I have had on any car before.

Has anybody got any ideas? I do not know were to start with the search so if you could point me in thr right direction that would be brilliant.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
Thanks fpr the reply, I thought it was going to be somthing really serious like the turbo going :cry: Is it a standard thing on these engines?

Becks

ExtremeBlue&CandyWhite
Apr 22, 2007
Blantyre
www.facebook.com
Changing the dump valve and putting on an induction kit will make the sounds more prominent, whicj I have. Forge 007 dump valve and BMC carbon induction kit.

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
That could be worring for me then, it only does it at low revs and when sat if I push it up to 5k it sounds again but not as loud.

I think Im going to have a good look round and see if any pipes are split etc But the car pull fine and doesnt run with a judder :think:

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
thanks, better to check than to spend hours second guessing :D

Is it also normal for this area of the engine bay to get hot, i know this sounds daft as the turbo and im guessing the manifold is there. but it seems to blow warm inside the car when the blowers are on cold?

there are heat shields there, but it just seem quiet hot for say 30 mins of driving around town.

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
All fixed

UPDATE......

Thought I would give an update for anybody who may have the same issue.

So got a copy of VAGCOM and did some tests and it showed boost pressue loss. After a bit of reading, decided to change the DV (to a 007p) and no more noise!! Cant descride how different the car feels now. The old DV was that shot I could blow though it. Car seem to have loads more pull now, which is amazing!!

Always wondered why the car made a loud whoost when I took my foot off the throttle, I couldnt remember if my old golf did it or not. And after driving round in my mates golf 1.8T and his making the same noise I thought it was standard. Glad I checked it out, money saved from the steelers in my opinion.

Anyway lesson learned, get VAGCOM lol

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise