184 fr st-Notchy gear change

steveb

Dec 10, 2014
Bought my car about 4 weeks ago with 1300 miles (ex demo) and must say I love it, apart from.
The gear change is how I would describe dragging a stick through a bag of bones. When I had a test drive the salesman drove it and I noticed he wasn't changing through the gears smoothly but it didn't bother me at the time.
On my first drive I thought "oh my gawd I need to adjust my driving style" it was not smooth when changing gear. Now 4 weeks down the line I realise it is not something I can adapt to and was wondering if the linkage could be set wrong.
Yes I am fully depressing the clutch :)

Anyone else having this annoying issue?

Cheers

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
I'd take it back to the dealers and tell them.

When I picked up my new 184 last year one of the biggest things I noticed was how smooth and good the gear change was. So it sounds like something is up with yours :(

eoinmackey

Nov 9, 2014
plus.google.com
Mine is notchy going into second when it's cold but it loosens up once the cars warmed up. Any 6 speed VAG I've had needed to be properly warmed up before the gearbox was it's slickest.

drykoke

Oct 31, 2013
My 1.8 TSI petrol is notchy from 1st to 2nd, particularly bad in cold weather.
It can be jerky too, but less so now that I have found out from other forums that there is a sweetspot that you should rev up to before changing to 2nd.
Apparently the turbo goes off the boil if you change too early and revs drop too low.

steveb

Dec 10, 2014
As the 2 guys in the above posts say It is a cold thing.
Driving for 5 mins around woking in the early morning/late evening doesn't give it a chance to loosen up.
A decent treck down the M3 to Winchester and back today proved that.
I will cancel my appointment with the dealer tech dept Monday.

Thanks

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
It can be jerky too, but less so now that I have found out from other forums that there is a sweetspot that you should rev up to before changing to 2nd.
Apparently the turbo goes off the boil if you change too early and revs drop too low.

No probs with gearbox being notchy, but;
Mine did the same "jerky" thing to, now I change the air filter every 6 months and it seems to have improved it a lot. I get the air filter for £13 delivered so it's cheap enough. :blink:

Last edited:

Jack Bauer 5f

Dec 17, 2014
Yeah I feel that too. I have a 1.4tsi 122hp. At first I thought it was weird and asked the dealer and of course they said it was OK but didn't convince me. It sound like if the car is about to stall. O lo 1st to 2nd. Other gears are fine.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise