1st time with a Cupra

graemebillo

Sep 9, 2010
liverpool
Hi Everyone.

I have just taken the plunge and am about to swap my Leon FR for a Cupra 300 DSG.
I seem to have gradually worked my way up from ibizas to leons and into a Cupra. Not sure how I actually got hooked on one brand but hey..

It's not brand new car but was reg last year, I was just curious if there was anything that I should look out for wear and tear wise when I collect.

Also being a newbie owner does anyone have any advice for 1st timers?

Thanks in advance.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Hi Everyone.

I have just taken the plunge and am about to swap my Leon FR for a Cupra 300 DSG.
I seem to have gradually worked my way up from ibizas to leons and into a Cupra. Not sure how I actually got hooked on one brand but hey..

It's not brand new car but was reg last year, I was just curious if there was anything that I should look out for wear and tear wise when I collect.

Also being a newbie owner does anyone have any advice for 1st timers?

Thanks in advance.
The Cupra is an amazing car but I've had several issues with the the build quality on my old 280. I'm sure the 300 has many of the previous niggles ironed out but beware as the interior is very cheap compared to rivals.

Mechanically they seem to be pretty solid if you use Shell V-power and I would personally recommend to change the oil before the service intervals and run it in easy for the first few hundred miles.

The car can chew tyres so budget for a new set of fronts at about 10k

I just bought an Ateca and the build quality seems fine for now but as after a few months I expect the rattles to appear!

Otherwise the Cupra is an ideal car! I miss mine that much I was in the dealers today looking for another one!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I’ve just recently swapped from a manual Leon FR 1.4 EcoTSI 150 to a Cupra 300 DSG myself and the only thing I can say is have patience with the gearbox. It takes time to get comfortable with the gear changes and I find myself learning to drive again - I’ve actually been driving 30 plus years. When you get used to it and the extra power (which always makes me smile) you’ll love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 103408

Any new second hand car, check the service record and make sure its up to spec.

Tyres that come with the car from new are normally rubbish so plan on getting the best (Michelin PS4S in my view) that will set you back around 600 for the 4.

I presume it does not have the new digital dash, so make sure you get the dealers to update your maps on the sat nav and or confirm it has mapcare included (if they are doing that yet)

Seats are great cars but many many people have rattles (I dont and mine is now 4 years old) but listen out for them.

On your last test drive before you sign on the dotted line, make sure you drive the car as you will in real world to see if it performs how you want it.

This is not a 0 - 60 machine (its not slow but front wheel drive means there are limits) but it moves much faster that many others (including the Golf R) in the Mid range - but that does mean it drinks petrol so if you are on a tight budget dont buy it.

On this site I have seen people compaining they did not get wheel nut covers when car came - so check them.
Same with Cupra Mats in the car check you have them if not where are they.
There are also threads on here about pain pealing off between some body parts (rear bumper to main body) so check the joins for signs of damage

The Lights to replace are very very expensive so make sure they all work as speced. If you have a high spec car make sure if the windscreen was replaced that the sensors were realigned as stuff does not work correctly otherwise - and note this will hit your NCB if it happens to you (the windscreen does not but the rest does).

As its a newish car get then to show you how the Kessy works (if you have it) and also the electronic hand brake (just so you know how it works).

AlexOS

Any new second hand car, check the service record and make sure its up to spec.

Tyres that come with the car from new are normally rubbish so plan on getting the best (Michelin PS4S in my view) that will set you back around 600 for the 4.

I presume it does not have the new digital dash, so make sure you get the dealers to update your maps on the sat nav and or confirm it has mapcare included (if they are doing that yet)

Seats are great cars but many many people have rattles (I dont and mine is now 4 years old) but listen out for them.

On your last test drive before you sign on the dotted line, make sure you drive the car as you will in real world to see if it performs how you want it.

This is not a 0 - 60 machine (its not slow but front wheel drive means there are limits) but it moves much faster that many others (including the Golf R) in the Mid range - but that does mean it drinks petrol so if you are on a tight budget dont buy it.

On this site I have seen people compaining they did not get wheel nut covers when car came - so check them.
Same with Cupra Mats in the car check you have them if not where are they.
There are also threads on here about pain pealing off between some body parts (rear bumper to main body) so check the joins for signs of damage

The Lights to replace are very very expensive so make sure they all work as speced. If you have a high spec car make sure if the windscreen was replaced that the sensors were realigned as stuff does not work correctly otherwise - and note this will hit your NCB if it happens to you (the windscreen does not but the rest does).

As its a newish car get then to show you how the Kessy works (if you have it) and also the electronic hand brake (just so you know how it works).
On the electronic hand brake... does the cupra one work the same as in the Golf R? I am in a Golf loaner at the moment awaiting delivery of my Cupra ST 4Drive.. I’ve had the car about two weeks and I haven’t touched the handbrake or hill hold once..

They are totally automatic...

put the car in gear and drive off, the handbrake releases..
When you stop at lights, the start/stop kicks in, the handbrake comes on and I leave it.. put your foot on the throttle and away you go..
Park the car, gear to park and the handbrake comes on automatically

As I said in over two weeks I literally haven’t touched the switch once..

Deleted member 103408

sorry i have old style handbreak so hopefully somebody else can help

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
On the electronic hand brake... does the cupra one work the same as in the Golf R? I am in a Golf loaner at the moment awaiting delivery of my Cupra ST 4Drive.. I’ve had the car about two weeks and I haven’t touched the handbrake or hill hold once..

They are totally automatic...

put the car in gear and drive off, the handbrake releases..
When you stop at lights, the start/stop kicks in, the handbrake comes on and I leave it.. put your foot on the throttle and away you go..
Park the car, gear to park and the handbrake comes on automatically

As I said in over two weeks I literally haven’t touched the switch once..

In a word Yes.

You can use it manually and you can use it as per the Golf in full auto.

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
Assume your getting a 300? Had mine for just about a year now, it's been absolutely faultless, only issue I had was loosing a few of the black plastic wheel bolt covers!

I also took the plunge when it was only 4 month old to pull apart the interior and sound deaden it all, I'd heard of rattles etc and had some spare time so did it all at once, the interior is whisper silent now!

As for the build quality, it's spot on, a long long way ahead of the MK2! Someone mentioned the interior feeling cheaper than its rivals, we have a Mk7 golf TDI as well, and hand on heart the interior on the Leon is better, looks more premium, feels better and best of all, doesn't use the same childish font on all the screens as the golf!

One of th best cars I've ever had the pleasure of using on a daily basis!

AlexOS

Assume your getting a 300? Had mine for just about a year now, it's been absolutely faultless, only issue I had was loosing a few of the black plastic wheel bolt covers!

I also took the plunge when it was only 4 month old to pull apart the interior and sound deaden it all, I'd heard of rattles etc and had some spare time so did it all at once, the interior is whisper silent now!

As for the build quality, it's spot on, a long long way ahead of the MK2! Someone mentioned the interior feeling cheaper than its rivals, we have a Mk7 golf TDI as well, and hand on heart the interior on the Leon is better, looks more premium, feels better and best of all, doesn't use the same childish font on all the screens as the golf!

One of th best cars I've ever had the pleasure of using on a daily basis!
I agree about the build quality and feeling. I have just sent back my 2015 FR184 TDI, and have a 2017 Golf R loaner while i wait for my 2018 Leon Cupra ST 4Drive. I much prefer the feeling and design of the Leon.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.