2.0 16v ABF oil leak

richypanic

Seat Cordoba 2.0 16v SX
Nov 8, 2008
Aldershot, Hampshire
Hi all. I have developed an oil leak. I have got her up on ramps and had a good old wipe all over. It seems to be coming/reappearing from this area. Would this be simply the oil sump/gasket? Or possibly coming from elsewhere? Please see -

http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae348/richypanic/?action=view&current=DSC00535.jpg

Are oil leaks so awkward to trace??

What am I looking for in getting repaired cost wise? I'd rather a garage do it than my own "skills"!
Cheers chaps for any help/light you can shed!

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
DSC00535.jpg

cant confirm it would be the sump but it might be. best way is to find the highest point of leaked oil. any oil that leaks higher up the engine is going to end up on the sump in the end isnt it? if you think you know where it is or have an idea clean it off might and apply alot of french chalk or talken powder, as oil leaks it soaks in the apply substance and is very very obvious.

PS with the use of a ramp you could probably do the sump gasket your self its very straight forward.

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
Mine was covered with oil there, was coming from the oil cooler ( Square thing that the oil filter screws into)
So might want to check that out too

Ollie

twig

May 5, 2008
Guildford
If that pic's what I think it is, it's more-or-less the same place as mine is. I replaced the sump gasket (quite easy) only to find it's coming from either the oil filter bracket or the oil cooler seal. Cooler seal is quite easy as long as you don't mind risking losing a bit of skin off your knuckles. Bracket seems easy enough too, although I rounded one of the bolts off and haven't got round to finding an alternative way to get them off.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
same here on mine - not as bad as that but they always seem to collect a scattering over the sump

part of it i reckon is residue from changing filter as i wipe mine off - 3 days later it's damp - wipe again and next to nothing, and not losing oil at all

yours seems to be coming more from the rear though ???

richypanic

Seat Cordoba 2.0 16v SX
Nov 8, 2008
Aldershot, Hampshire
So is it a case of replacing/fixing one thing at a time? Simplest first!? I apologise for the angle of the photo, was the best I could get from the space I had! Oil filter is a royal pain just to replace so would I assume its same looking at the cooler/filter bracket? She runs fine its just a right pain leaving drops of oil everywhere...

richypanic

Seat Cordoba 2.0 16v SX
Nov 8, 2008
Aldershot, Hampshire
And yes, it does seem to be coming more from the rear/away from the oil filter itself. Seems to creep out from the crevis between the sump and the part you see with the numbers/vw stamp on... Its so darn cramped under and in there it is very hard to find the source!

henners-gti

elo mate, ive only jus got mine sorted...it took the garage many attempts to come to a conclusion... but we got there in the end and found that the breather hose housing seal had split AND the crankshaft sensor seal had split too. hope this will help.

Henners

richypanic

Seat Cordoba 2.0 16v SX
Nov 8, 2008
Aldershot, Hampshire
Crank sensor recently replaced aswell as oil breather funnily enough! Could this be a coincidence? Maybe garage botched something when the crank sensor was done... Could I get em to check FOC - just in case it was their fault you think??

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise