2.0 16v/TDI clutch cable suppliers

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Afternoon,

I'm having a right nightmare trying to source a decent quality clutch cable for my Ibiza 2.0 16v, has anyone found one yet?

As a parts guy I don't take chances and only buy genuine parts, however SEAT kindly discontinued the cable last year and I've yet to find a dealer group with one in stock. I've bought 4 cables from the motor factors so far, 1st one was wrong, 2nd one was used, 3rd one had a faulty self adjuster and the 4th was used and broken. Top tip for you guys, don't bother with First Line or Pagid cables, despite the brand name and price difference, they are the same cable made poorly in the same factory. The markings on both cables are in the same font and printed in the same places.

At the moment the only alternative I can find is to have a custom one made by a company called Cable-Tec. The website suggests that they do cables for motorsport and heavy industry so I'm sure they're up to the job but I suspect a single custom cable will cost me hundreds of pounds.

Has anyone managed to find an alternative brand that appears to be right first time and decent quality?

I'd really appreciate any help you have, at the moment I have a lovely low mileage car that's immobilised with a fast expiring MOT, to say I'm desperate is an understatement!

Thanks
Tom

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I think the TDI in the mk2's are hydraulic clutches so probably no luck there. I have the same problem in that my MK2 is also having to have aftermarket parts as the original supplies have dried up.

Euro Car Parts did do an Eicher one but I havent used one of theirs yet. Has your clutch cable actually failed or is it just getting heavy?

Which car parts people have you been using?

Just a side thought but maybe a MK2 Golf cable would do the job, or looking into which other VAG cars had that gearbox with cable operation.

With MK2's flexing pedal boxes and clutch release bearings tend cause weight issues also.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
ETKA says the "F" cable fits RHD ABF (2.0 16v), AHU/1Z (TDI 90)

Eicher is one of ECP's cheaper brands, I stay away from the cheap stuff at all costs. Pagid was a well respected brand but its now being licenced onto cheaper stuff. Argos have done the same with Qualcast, once a quality brand but now its just Chinese junk.

When I bought the car the pedal box squeaked and the clutch was really stiff. The lever on the gearbox moves freely so there's no major issues there. The cable was still the original, date stamp was 10/97. I've since replaced the pedal box and the associated springs, pivot bar, bushes and the squeak has gone. My old pedal box was fine, I think the broken return spring was the cause. I managed to get a First Line cable that works but I'm not convinced it'll be there in 2 years/4000 miles. Clutch operation is heavy but it works enough to get it MOTd. The clutch will get changed in due course, I have more important issues to fix!

I buy my parts through local independent parts suppliers where possible. I pay a little more but I get an unrushed & honest service unlike the target driven staff at the big companies. I've worked for one of them, never again.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.