2.0 TDI FR caster

WobbleFR

Sep 1, 2018
Hi,

I went to kwik fit (as it was the only place open after work) and got a 4 wheel alignment print out.
The guy said he couldnt adjust anything other than the toe in so i didnt get it done as he would charge me 60
I cant find anything online that says what the caster should be?
How do you adjust the camber with the subframe, which is what ive read somewhere.
I find this a really weird setup first of all, and then there are loads of leons on the road, surely there should be more info on this out there, unless im not using complicated enough terminology to search?

20181009_215958.jpg

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
I was £600 for camber adjustable wishbone bushes, anti lift kit and caster adjustable bushes plus full bush kit for my Leon. Mated that to H&R anti roll bars and got fast road set up done. The best collection of mods I've done. Car is a go kart. I've attached a picture of my frsu.
c6cd4aa31aebd13ff39f9e7bdafd4659.jpg

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: WobbleFR

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
The printout tells you what the caster should be. Between 7-17 and 8-17. If I'm reading this right... and I hate alignment measurements. But I think you reading is about a 3rd of a minute out. Which is such a slim amount it wouldn't let light through. They just make the printouts red so you give them £60 in a panic.

Edited... oh and the front left 1-11 is just on the limit of tolerance... so I don't see why it's red at all!!

61HsLlb.png

WobbleFR

Sep 1, 2018
Cheers guys, i appreciate the replies.
I wonder why my caster is showing as red, surely the information from Seat should tell whoever is doing the alignment that it is correct.

One of the reasons i took it for an alignment is because of the way it feels, it goes straight very well, but it doesnt feel great cornering.
I think im going to have to have a look at bushes and possibly the struts and springs.

I also dont like the 18" wheels, on motorways i do but i spend 70% of my time on B roads.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
I wonder why my caster is showing as red, surely the information from Seat should tell whoever is doing the alignment that it is correct.

If you're outside of the set limits it just colours the box red. Not really a problem, it's so close to spec you won't notice.

If it bothers you then fit one of the caster adjustment kits that are available from various places.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
My personal favourite is how on the screen it shows the wheel like this \. When in reality, a butterfly sitting on the other side of the tyre would straighten it.

WobbleFR

Sep 1, 2018
My personal favourite is how on the screen it shows the wheel like this \. When in reality, a butterfly sitting on the other side of the tyre would straighten it.

That's an excellent statement, made me chuckle but I do agree with you.

Lol, that is funny, but also reassuring!
Cheers.

I know there is a problem, I dont know enough to put my finger on it, but think ive narrowed it down to bushes, bearing, strut or spring, but more likely strut or bush I guess.

I think i will change the struts on the front for konis to match the rear sooner than planned, fresh bumpstops all round (the rears should of been done but they sent the wrong ones), and check the bushes front and rear. Fresh springs all round possibly OE, possibly Eibach pro's.

Then either try R18/225/45 instead of the 40's currently on it, or get some 17" wheels and go for a 50.

Either way it can wait for a while, its not an emergency.

I did an oil change over the weekend, the stuff that came out was proper black, and very thin, suprisingly so. The stuff that went in was gulf competition and the proper spec from oilman, and just a fingertip comparison felt thicker but i cant really tell as i warmed the car up before emptying it. The suprise made me check it for water but there wasnt any. I wonder what they put in it before and how long since its last change. The poor car has been abused though thats clear!

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
Lol, that is funny, but also reassuring!
Cheers.

I know there is a problem, I dont know enough to put my finger on it, but think ive narrowed it down to bushes, bearing, strut or spring, but more likely strut or bush I guess.

I think i will change the struts on the front for konis to match the rear sooner than planned, fresh bumpstops all round (the rears should of been done but they sent the wrong ones), and check the bushes front and rear. Fresh springs all round possibly OE, possibly Eibach pro's.

Then either try R18/225/45 instead of the 40's currently on it, or get some 17" wheels and go for a 50.

Either way it can wait for a while, its not an emergency.

I did an oil change over the weekend, the stuff that came out was proper black, and very thin, suprisingly so. The stuff that went in was gulf competition and the proper spec from oilman, and just a fingertip comparison felt thicker but i cant really tell as i warmed the car up before emptying it. The suprise made me check it for water but there wasnt any. I wonder what they put in it before and how long since its last change. The poor car has been abused though thats clear!
If your needing any info or details of any of the camber, caster and anti lift kit I've got give me a shout. My cars lying in my garage feeling sorry for itself after knockhill a few weeks ago. Destroyed my gear sector tower. I'm on the fence to just break the thing for parts or not yet....

WobbleFR

Sep 1, 2018
If you're outside of the set limits it just colours the box red. Not really a problem, it's so close to spec you won't notice.

If it bothers you then fit one of the caster adjustment kits that are available from various places.

Ha I dont need anymore temptation to spend money, but maybe :think:
The last thing i did to my Subaru before it kindly got written off by a builders lorry was fit a whiteline camber\caster topmount onto koni adjustables with P1 springs and bumpstops.
That setup was amazing! It soaked up the B roads, lumps, bumps, uneven surfaces and corners were nothing to it.

I made a mistake when younger of changing too many things at one time. I ended up not knowing what affected the feel of the car, Ive started getting the suspension back to OE with second hand parts, and then will try to get it handling how i want it to feel a bit at a time, learning as I go.

Reactions: Sturtz1987

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
Ha I dont need anymore temptation to spend money, but maybe :think:
The last thing i did to my Subaru before it kindly got written off by a builders lorry was fit a whiteline camber\caster topmount onto koni adjustables with P1 springs and bumpstops.
That setup was amazing! It soaked up the B roads, lumps, bumps, uneven surfaces and corners were nothing to it.

I made a mistake when younger of changing too many things at one time. I ended up not knowing what affected the feel of the car, Ive started getting the suspension back to OE with second hand parts, and then will try to get it handling how i want it to feel a bit at a time, learning as I go.
I've got full standard springs and shocks in my garage of your needing them?

WobbleFR

Sep 1, 2018
If your needing any info or details of any of the camber, caster and anti lift kit I've got give me a shout. My cars lying in my garage feeling sorry for itself after knockhill a few weeks ago. Destroyed my gear sector tower. I'm on the fence to just break the thing for parts or not yet....

Cheers bud, appreciate that!

Dude thats absolutely gutting, and why i could never bring myself to track a car that I own. The track days I have done the cars have been provided by the event.
I really wanted to track my celica and then the subaru, but I only ever own one car at a time and if something happens im stuffed.
Is it a big job to fix?
If you like the car then fix it. Dont break it until you are 100% decided.

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
I built the Leon for the b roads and does very well, I suspected the gearbox would go at the track. I can get a second hand box for a couple of hundred quid and I've got my own garage. The main problem is I've been offered a seat arosa 20vt that me and my mate built years ago and want it lol. If I don't break my Leon I will need to sell the e46 330ci drift car that's taking up space in garage lol

WobbleFR

Sep 1, 2018
I built the Leon for the b roads and does very well, I suspected the gearbox would go at the track. I can get a second hand box for a couple of hundred quid and I've got my own garage. The main problem is I've been offered a seat arosa 20vt that me and my mate built years ago and want it lol. If I don't break my Leon I will need to sell the e46 330ci drift car that's taking up space in garage lol

Haha what a problem to have :cool:
I tell you what BMW's dont half sound nice with a good exhaust sytem, especially the M5 i think it is?
I can see why your struggling with what to do, 20vT's shift.
Thanks for your offer, I definitely need the rear springs, I bought some off a breaker in birmingham and they are not FR springs, they are too high, he since says that he has closed down and i cant be bothered to drive back and argue or return them through his window.
I have already changed the front left as it was a standard petrol leon shock and spring when i bought the car, and as im planning on putting konis on at some point I may just wait till then to change the front right.
I will pm you tomorrow about the rear springs if thats ok.

Thanks for the replies! You guys are very helpful :thumbup:

Reactions: Sturtz1987

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
Haha what a problem to have :cool:
I tell you what BMW's dont half sound nice with a good exhaust sytem, especially the M5 i think it is?
I can see why your struggling with what to do, 20vT's shift.
Thanks for your offer, I definitely need the rear springs, I bought some off a breaker in birmingham and they are not FR springs, they are too high, he since says that he has closed down and i cant be bothered to drive back and argue or return them through his window.
I have already changed the front left as it was a standard petrol leon shock and spring when i bought the car, and as im planning on putting konis on at some point I may just wait till then to change the front right.
I will pm you tomorrow about the rear springs if thats ok.

Thanks for the replies! You guys are very helpful
Yeah the older m5s will be v10 engines. My mate is bmw daft and has shoe horned a v10 into an old e36. He's also got an e46 m3 engine in his e30. Had that up at knockhill and was amazing.

Yeah give me a shout tomorrow then

That's the link to Scotty's E30 with E46 Engine.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.