2.0 TDi Oil-Related Advice. Please Look In

Space Coyote

May 12, 2003
Derbyshire
Visit site
2.0 TDi Oil-Related Advice Please. Please Look In

I would really appreciate some advice on my new Leon Sport 2.0 TDi; well I say new, it's got just over 4,000 miles on it now and is about 3 months old.

I posted a thread last Friday about a strange noise that my turbo seems to be making recently and while it doesn't seem to be getting worse, it certainly isn't getting better (thread is here for those of you who are interested).

Well tonight on the way home I decided to stop on a level road (I park on a fairly steep drive at home) and check the oil level. I left the car standing for a couple of minutes after turning the engine off and then opened the bonnet. The first thing I noticed was steam/smoke coming from the dipstick (tube??? apologies to you mechanic types out there) and on closer inspection the dipstick wasn't pushed all the way home. Now not knowing a great deal about the practicals of engines this concerned me a little bit, so I took the oil filler cap off and the same smoke/steam came from there too.

:confused: Am I right in assuming that oil doesn't steam and this must be smoke? Does this mean my oil is degrading and is this a normal thing to happen? :confused:

Don't ever remember seeing this from another car, but then the last diesel I had was a fully maintained company car and I don't remember ever checking the oil in that one :blink:

Anyway while I had the oil filler cap off I looked into the top of the engine and the oil is absolutely black - I mean crude oil black. So my next question is; is this normal for an engine that has only done 4,000 miles?

I know that a new engine has to loosen up and I have been advised by various parties to change the oil anything between 1,000 and 10,000 miles from new. (After seeing the state of the oil I think I'll get it done tomorrow).

Incidentally my oil level appeared to be just above the minimum mark, but trying to read a jet black dipstick with jet black oil on it isn't the easiest thing I've ever done.

Finally, and coming back to the original issue of a whiny turbo, is it possible that if my oil level is low the turbo might be starved of oil at low revs and as the oil pressure rises with as the RPMs increase the oil is getting to the turbo, since the whine doesn't happen at speed or above 1,500 RPM.

I was supposed to have the car at the dealers this morning for them to have a listen, but I couldn't make it, I will have to reschedule.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this, it is much appreciated.

Last edited:

sssstew

Editing your spelling
right, steam/smoke from the dipstick... fine, PDs do this ive been told by Paulo.

black oil after 4k - yes perfectly normal, diesels soot their oil within the first few miles even.

low oil level - yes normal too, TDIs commonly drink a bit of oil during the running in period. Vauxhalls are known to be even worse!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.