2.0 TDI Running in period ?

postie

Hi guys, very new to the site and wondering if you can help me?
My better half is picking up her new 2.0 tdi sport on Thursday (company car, and it only took me several meals out and shares in "interflora" to persuade her to go for the lovely beastie!), but her company are absolutely pants at passing on information, paperwork etc. about the cars to the staff. Can someone please tell me about running in periods, how long etc. and when can we expect the motor to loosen up properly?
Thanks guys, postie.

asmiffy79

Hi,

Not sure if there's anything in the books- I can't find it if there is.
When I picked mine up, I was told by the dealer all the engines are run in on the bench, not sure how true this is.
Mine's just passed 10K now, and is noticably better than when new.

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
I know someone who worked for Audi and then went to Seat and both times he has said to boot a car from new as the engines are pre-run in at the factory. Also suggested that they can provide more power if run well from new

postie

Thanks for your info. guys. I knew a guy years ago that was factory trained by Massey Ferguson (seriously!) and he always said you could / should give a diesel motor the stick from the outset. We didn't just want to go ahead just in case, but now We will give it a little welly.
Once again, thanks,

Nigel.

IbiVR

Yeah i ragged the nuts of my 2.0 tdi golf from new and it's all good (so far).
took about 5k to really loosen up (I swear it runs more boost now than it did when new - which is odd, although i never got it on vagcom to start with to find out).
Took a while to get good mileage out of it, was really poor economey for the first few 1000 miles, not too bad now.

Tom.

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
The new generation of engines can take a good while to loosen up, My TFSI is getting much better MPG after a few tankfulls. I'm hoping it's not going to take as long as my last Honda which took around 40k miles to get into it's stride !

siwel

Apr 20, 2006
I just picked my 2.0L TDi sport last week so was wondering the same thing, I found it in the owners manual. It says up to 1000 km (no idea why they didn't give it in miles) avoid high revs and hard acceleration. Then slowly increase for the next 500km, so after a total for 1500km drive normally. Which is around 930 miles or there abouts.

volkscraft

I agree, give em stick when they have warmed up and let it cool for a bit before switching off. Manufacturing tolerances are all but idiot proof these days.

Matt Smith AMIMI

Last edited by a moderator:

Knigh

Jul 9, 2005
W Sussex
Second what Stew has said - look at the TDI FAQ and you will find answers.

Also do a search and you will also find some useful info.

paxman21

Don't forget running in isn't just about the engine; the gearbox, brakes, suspension all need to be broken in. I'm starting to boot it now at 660 miles (1000miles) as it states in manual!

I have a Leon 2.0 TDI Sport DSG btw