2.0 TDI sport low mpg

loadswine

loadswine
Mine did have Bridgestones from new, just meant that I would notice a change more readily now, as when it was new, there was nothing to compare with. Now its done some miles and I'm familiar with it , a change would be easier to spot, hope that makes sense!
I've only topped up with the Millers stuff, isn't the long service interval oil to a higher spec? Think it costs more.

Tell

Staff member
It does cost more but it is to a higher spec, yes. Doesn't cost that much more. The viscosity is better at lower temperatures. I took the word of the VW dealer in Germany that sold me my first bottle…. It’s Castrol that I bought for it now.

Any way after pouring loads in on Sunday, if my MPG shoots up again I’ll let you know. One can live in hope.

I'll be asking about tyres again when it's time to change mine. I've always got on well with Michelin for the last 20 years or so, and given that Honest John likes the ones I mentioned above, I might give them a go unless I am pursuaded otherwise.

GW

Thanks for all the information. My 2.0tdi is now averaging 39-40 (alot of small journeys) and i've even seen 48-49 on long slow drives with 30+ stuck in traffic.
So things are looking better, i just hope they keep improving. I'm still a little disappointed in the mpg compared to my 20k mile 1.9 altea.

But i wouldn't swap it for anything, i looked at a 1.9 leon, but preferred my altea and a chance of buying a pre-reg 06 2.0TDI sport for £13.5k was just too good to miss. Westgate Seat have done it again with my 3rd super deal and excellent service, could just do with a few more decent retailers in Lincolnshire.

Keep us informed of any good replacements for my 17" Bridgestones RE050s, as they grip brilliantly are quiet and reasonably comfortable, but it appears you 'pay' for them at the pumps.

Only 2 weeks until my chrome tail pipes are fitted, to finish this great car.

ps Some maunfactuers quote different MPGs for cars with large wheel/tyres

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
Only 2 weeks until my chrome tail pipes are fitted, to finish this great car.

its a smokey little number, so keep some baby wipes in the garage, and when you return home, whilst the pipes are still warm give them a wipe every now and then, makes keeping them clean a whole lot easier... ;)

bACK ON tOPIC.

sINCE MY obc WAS RE-SET AT 9K, NOW THE CAR HAS 12.5K ON IT, OVER THE MILES DONE IT HAS AVERGAED 53.3MPG.

sorry for caps, not looking:whistle: :rolleyes:

Tell

Staff member
Is thank measured on tank too tank brimming ?, and divide .22 into litres to get gallons. 56 MPG is on average 17 MPG less than what I get and Loadswine. Truly frugal if you get that... but... something wrong with your MPG figures I'm sure unless you have one of these ultra fuel efficient ways of driving.

loadswine

loadswine
I know your car is shinier and more slippery than mine, but wow! Fantastic figures. And on 18" too. That puts the the wheel diameter theory to the test.
I did a run up to Manchester and back last Saturday at mostly speedo indicated 80 and I got exactly 40mpg, using cruise most of the time.
Obviously need to get some serious detailing done.
Not being flippant, I do. I only wish you did a DVD of how it should be done.
Now there's a thought !

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
Cool mate, well done. I have often thought about getting a Porter cable polisher, but am dead worried about using it on my car with no expert tuition or guidance.
(sorry for drift) How do you get such good fuel mileage?

just good road planning, dont accelerate up to red lights, try to keep the car moving as much as possible, staying clam and light with the gas pedal. No rocket science I'm afraid.

loadswine

loadswine
I think me staying calm behind the wheel for every journey would be harder than rocket science! In town on deadlines for each journey with idiots lining up to carve you up all the time or change the appearance of the car isn't condusive to a calm air. I suppose if I took it easy the mpg would improve a bit, but it has never reached particularly great figures. But driving it IS fun though!!

Tell

Staff member
Well I don't drive that aggresively ;).... and I do get annoyed when pulling away when people take it through the gears slowly and in the DSG you know you can just pull away and go. So I don't think the consumption is that bad considering the size of the engine, weight of the car, but it still not up to Pug standards but then you don't get such a nice body. C4 Picasso with the paddles and type of DSG, hydro-suspension on the rear, and all the other gadgets... hmmm, but then that wasn't available and the current Picasso, is van like inside. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush etc.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members