2.0 TFSI

Jun 15, 2019
Greetings,

as I am new to the SEAT(VAG group) world, I am interested in purchasing a 2006 Leon with the 2.0 TFSI engine(185hp). I was wondering if any of you fellow owners could bring me up to date about the reliabilty of this engine, common and known faults/downsides. Fuel consumption is not a big factor for me as I know 185 hp when driven hard can build up the fuel bill quite easily, I just want to know is the engine reliabilty on par with the performance and looks which it absoultely delivers.

Thanks in advance, Marko

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Greetings,

as I am new to the SEAT(VAG group) world, I am interested in purchasing a 2006 Leon with the 2.0 TFSI engine(185hp). I was wondering if any of you fellow owners could bring me up to date about the reliabilty of this engine, common and known faults/downsides. Fuel consumption is not a big factor for me as I know 185 hp when driven hard can build up the fuel bill quite easily, I just want to know is the engine reliabilty on par with the performance and looks which it absoultely delivers.

Thanks in advance, Marko
Why 180bhp version?? You might aswell go for the fr and get 200bhp.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jun 15, 2019
I know, but I have a really good offer for the 185hp version, FRs in my country are a bit pricey(almost double that of a regular leon with 185hp, but only 15hp more, the bodykit and the interior)

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
The cam follower need regular inspection or replacement, earlier engines would wear the thing quite badly.
More recent parts have a coating on to prevent such rapid wear.

If it's not been changed or inspected recently you should to it immediately.
Also the diverter valves often leak, again the parts were updated and more recent versions are not so prone to failure.

Reactions: Legojon

Paulki

Jul 12, 2006
Enfield
I have a 2006 TFSI Sport that I bought new; as noted above the cam follower is the main thing to watch out for and also check your oil regularly as the TFSI is known for burning oil. If your car is late production (May/June 06) it is likely to have the same 197hp (200hp) BWA engine as the later FR's and that's what the sticker on my engine says and I remember a post here years ago of someone who took his "185hp" TFSI to be mapped and the pre map dyno run was 198hp.

In the 13 years I've owned it I have had no major issues at all and the fuel consumption is excellent (for a 2.0L Turbo) if you drive sensibly... at least some of the time.

Jun 15, 2019
Yep I know about the oil burning part, but all in all I think im going for it. Yes its an ea113 bwa, same as in the FR. Thanks!

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
I had a 185bhp Sport for 18 months prior to getting my 197bhp FR and I didn't notice a huge difference in performance - in the time I had it I had no issues whatsoever it was a '55' Plate, and I think I actually preferred the Sports seats to the FRs, the FR had more toys and little things like a light for the Cruise on the dash that the Sport didn't.

Rickyr65sl

Jul 31, 2019
Manchester
There good engines if you look after them, they’ll eat fuel if you have a heavy foot but so do most cars. Driven conservatively you’ll easily achieve over 30mpg.

Common parts that normally need changing and I’d advise to do so are if they’ve not been already are:

Fuel pump cam follower
PCV
Diverter valve

I’d also take the sump off and clean/replace the oil pick up pipe as there known to clog up.

A decent set of spark plugs is also a must and higher octane fuel even on standard engines

Intake valves normally carbon up too and I’ve seen nearly 30bhp power gain from cleaning them on a mk5 gti

Last edited:

Deleted member 103408

Just taking this thread on a short detour.

The latest 290 (MK3 Engines) to pass WLTP Have removed that second set of injectors that solved the carbon build up on intake valves.

For my info what sort of millage do you think you start to see issues (on the MK2) with the Carbon Build up.

Thanks

Rickyr65sl

Jul 31, 2019
Manchester

The latest 290 (MK3 Engines) to pass WLTP Have removed that second set of injectors that solved the carbon build up on intake valves.

For my info what sort of millage do you think you start to see issues (on the MK2) with the Carbon Build up.

Thanks

I’ve seen ones at 60k miles look just as bad as engines that had done 100k miles. Not sure if it goes of how the car has been driven throughout its life or not.

Every 2.0 tfsi I’ve inspected the valves on has always had bad carbon build up though regardless of mileage, some worse than others but majority are about the same.

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham

Thanks
Engines that have been used for short distance town driving tend to have worse carbon build up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.