2.0l TDI engine whine

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Just home from test driving a 2017 FR, a facelift model. Liked the car but noticing something on the test drive I'm slightly concerned about.

At bang on 2.5 K rpm there was a momontery chirp from the car. Sounded like a sheep bleating. Could be heard again up at between 3.5 and 4 K revs. Very quiet, you wouldn't hear it with the radio on, but totally consistent. Did it every time, exact same places.

My first thought was, turbo. Dealer is going to look into it next week but it would be good to hear other thoughts on it? I've certainly heard lots of strange noises come from turboed cars which were normal but I don't know about this car. Dealer thought it sounded more like a switch noise.

Car's only done 17K miles but we'd have the car for years so worried it might be something that could develop into a bill. But like the car so don't want to pass on it if it's not a big deal.

Thoughts welcome? :0)

Steeldevil

Jan 13, 2019
Yes I thought turbo actuator. Did it make the noise on full throttle or going from coasting to light acceleration?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Yes I thought turbo actuator. Did it make the noise on full throttle or going from coasting to light acceleration?

Slight chirp at 2.5 K then you could hear it again higher up. Very slight noise and only accelerating.

I'm inclined to think a switch or actuator as a bearing whine isn't transitory. It didn't sound like a bearing anyway.

Just wondered if anyone else has heard this noise on the 150 diesel. I'm inclined to think it's nothing serious but it would be nice to know for sure.

Steeldevil

Jan 13, 2019
Slight chirp at 2.5 K then you could hear it again higher up. Very slight noise and only accelerating.

I'm inclined to think a switch or actuator as a bearing whine isn't transitory. It didn't sound like a bearing anyway.

Just wondered if anyone else has heard this noise on the 150 diesel. I'm inclined to think it's nothing serious but it would be nice to know for sure.
I only ask as if you are feathering the throttle the turbo actuator would be opening and closing, but strange it does it at exactly the same rpm every time.
Was it dsg? Could it have been the clutch hydraulics?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.