2.0TDI 140 BKD Leon - Replace Coolant Temp sensor

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Hi there guys,

Think I have an issue with one of my coolant sensors as VAGCOM is picking up a G63 (?) error code occasionally, and more noticeably the fan seems to be coming on virtually all the time.

Anyone know how hard it is to replace the relevant sensors yourself? I get the feeling they're not going to be easy to get at! Also how likely is it I'll introduce an airlock?

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Don't know if there are more than one but I can only find mention of one in ElsaWin and ETKA. On the BKD, it is located in the thermostat housing at the front left of the engine. To remove the thermostat, ElsaWin recommends removing the fuel pump and alternator (nothing on only replacing the sensor). This may not be necessary if only replacing the sensor. As you can see, it is held in by a spring clip and seal.
Hope this helps.

shaggymc1

hi i too had problems with the sensor and it is a sod to get to. i removed the egr/throttle body and turbo boost down pipe, then got straight on it. but be prepaired for the plastic retaining clip or the rubber o ring to drop down the engine as it is fiddly, so it is worth having spares at the ready. you do lose a little fluid but not enough to worry about. you barley have to top up with fluid once your done. good luck all the best brian...

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.