2.0Tdi 184 Diesel DSG ticking when cold

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Hello,

I have noticed with the cold mornings when I first start up there is a ticking sound, as I increase the accelerator pedal the noise gets quicker, it also happens when I drive but cant hear it once im above 30mph and the car has warmed up.

Have any of you guys got any experience or knowledge of what this could be and is it a cause for concern as I know diesels do tent to have strange sounds?

Thanks in advance.

Scooby77

Sep 10, 2015
Had same recently with a 2015 ST FR 150, at 87k miles. Dealer diagnosed probable timing belt tensioner problem. They didn't seem concerned, but I got timing belt kit done on Thursday...better safe than sorry...noise gone....would have done it next year anyway. Dealer haven't billed me yet as trying for few quid goodwill from Seat.

Reactions: 300bhpdaily
Jul 5, 2020
Had same recently with a 2015 ST FR 150, at 87k miles. Dealer diagnosed probable timing belt tensioner problem. They didn't seem concerned, but I got timing belt kit done on Thursday...better safe than sorry...noise gone....would have done it next year anyway. Dealer haven't billed me yet as trying for few quid goodwill from Seat.
I also had the same problem ,I took off the alternator belt and the sound was still there, then I sprayed water on the timing belt housing because you said changing your timing belt sorted you out and noise went away. So I will get that looked at on my 2017 Seat Leon fr 2.0 tdi 150 bhp.

Jul 5, 2020
I also had the same problem ,I took off the alternator belt and the sound was still there, then I sprayed water on the timing belt housing because you said changing your timing belt sorted you out and noise went away. So I will get that looked at on my 2017 Seat Leon fr 2.0 tdi 150 bhp.
I mean, when I sprayed water at the timing belt housing my ticking noise went away.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members