2.5" Exhaust & Off Boost Power?

Hardcore

Diesel lover
Jul 31, 2013
West Scotland
Hi all,

I've just had a quote back for a turbo back exhaust for my Ibiza 1.9TDi FR.
It's 2.5" and the cat and center resonator will be removed as well so it's a straight pipe to the backbox.

I've read a lot of posts here via search that says off peak boost comes in around 800rpm sooner and with bigger power mods it's essential

What's it like on a standard engine though? Does it increase peak power at the cost of off boost driveability, or does the turbo blades provide enough back pressure?
I'm planning this first then a remap a few months later but don't want to make it a pig to drive.

I know the Cupra TDi makes 160bhp with the same exhaust as the FR so would i maybe be better with just the resonator cut out of mines and a decat 2.35" pipe?

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
I had a very similar setup to what you have been quoted for on my leon tdi, a larger Downpipe would allow the turbo to spool up quicker, to some degree doing the cat back exhaust as well but you are best off installing a 2.5" Downpipe from milltek first and then replace the rear silencer with a free flow silencer, the backbox is one of the most restrictive parts in the system.

Thanks,

S10EAT

Hardcore

Diesel lover
Jul 31, 2013
West Scotland
With the exhaust set up you had, did you have that on before or after a remap.
How did it feel after vs standard exhaust?

The £375 quote i got is for a custom 2.5" system from the turbo back so downpipe will be included as well all in stainless and a free flow backbox. Cheaper than a Miltek and price includes fitting and comes with a lifetime warranty for as long as i own the car.

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
I had the downpipe and exhaust put on before the remap, 2.5" stainless exactly the same as you have been quoted, the boost came in as most will state around 800rpm quicker, throttle/boost reponse was much improved.

For £375 and that includes a downpipe? That's a bargain if it's done well.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I have a straight through on my ahu 90bhp cordoba and noticed that it likes to rev on out more than standard.

Make sure it's fitted properly. The dingleberries that fitted mine should have put the new backbox in the original recess and made a swan neck to bring the tail pipe exit to the bumper and they didn't. So now if I go over a bumpy section of road it can scrap the road surface and that's not even with a heavy rear load.

Last edited:

Hardcore

Diesel lover
Jul 31, 2013
West Scotland
All the work's been done now

Like the Miltek, it's 2.25" at the turbo flange as too tight for full 2.5"
Unlike the Miltek though, my 2.25" section is slightly longer.

Turbo whistle sounds awesome and still quite quiet.

Off boost performance is fine. Very responsive and no loss in torque. Power seems to come in about the same, but pulls better in the mid / high revs.

1382083_10151864673297368_1056849317_n.jpg

1380335_10151864673317368_367262594_n.jpg

1394089_10151864673302368_733507113_n.jpg

Hardcore

Diesel lover
Jul 31, 2013
West Scotland
Thanks man, i was a bit annoyed the pictures came out like that. Was in a bit of a rush to get home after it was done and had camera on wrong settings.

Had a peek under it tonight and yeah, there's a very slight swan neck bend on the tube that joins the tail pipes to the back box.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Good stuff , it's been done properly then. Mine hasn't and hits off bumps in the road never mind sleeping policemen. :) But hey ho, it'll get sorted in the long long. I need to sort the engine in the mean time. Get a wee vid or sound bite up. It does make it rev out a bit more easily doesn't it?

Hardcore

Diesel lover
Jul 31, 2013
West Scotland
Yeah i'm hoping to get a few videos up on youtube shortly of it free revving and on load. Been driving about with the windows down, smiling at the whistle from it when just pottering about.

I think now i've had a few days with it and drove in the rain as well, it's gave it a bit more torque in the lower revs as well. Now and then it wants to spin the toyos in 3rd gear without touching the clutch from 2000rpm onwards, but never done it before. It's got a bit more power in the higher revs as well, but i very rarely push mines past 3500rpm just now.

Getting a custom remap as well on a RR shortly so hoping for more smiles soon :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members