2 coilpacks in 20 miles :(

sick2death

Dec 3, 2009
SY11
Hi Guys,

I had my LCR remapped yesterday, and during the test run (about a mile) one of the coil packs failed. It was late on a friday afternoon, in the middle of nowhere but the guy who came to do it contacted a freind who he managed to "borrow" a coil pack off. It was replaced and ran like a dream.

On the way home, I gave it some beans, and :censored: another ones gone.

I havent checked if its the same one, or a different one, but the car only travelled approx 20 miles from the first test run to getting home.

Im slightly concerned there may be an underlying problem. I know coilpacks are prone to failure when a remaps done, I just didnt expect one, let alone two to go so soon.

In fairness, I have suspision one was possibly on its way out before the remap, due to the occasional missifre.

Anyone with experience of coilpack failure on a remap suggest anything? I have ordered 4 new ones to hopefully put it to bed, but does 2 failing so quickly sound strange to anyone else? or is it just bad luck?

Cheers.

alpick36

It has been known for a couple to go at once. Once one has gone, it puts more strain on the others and can cause them to fail aswell. Better off replacing all 4 at once. :)

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
In fairness, I have suspision one was possibly on its way out before the remap, due to the occasional missifre.

They were going before the remap, seeing as they are generally installed new altogether, and done the same miles, the chances of one going after the other is high.

Last edited:

sick2death

Dec 3, 2009
SY11
Thanks for the replies. Put my mind at ease a little!

I will install the new ones and hope they last a little longer!

I have another Q ref the remap but will start a new topic!

xr2turbo

Nov 30, 2009
norfolk
what did you pay for 4? wheres best? i think i have 1 failing so want to get a set then leave the used as spares in the wheel well :lol:, cheapest ive seen is £100 for 4 but dont knwo if there is a real difference in quality as they wont be made by just any body

cheers :wink:

Witalik

ROTTERDAM FEYENOORD
Dec 28, 2008
Netherlands
You can get a set of 4 delivered from sere motors for around £100 delivered ;)

are these original coil packs ? i have also had some bad luck on the side of the road and one got replaced and 1 costs 70 Euro's, 1 month later another one goes and again 70 euros

Witalik

ROTTERDAM FEYENOORD
Dec 28, 2008
Netherlands
wow that really is a bargain.

i just calculated that 100 pounds is 110 euro's

so i buy one for 70 euro's and u buy 4 for only 40 euros extra...

****ing i hate dutch prices

mikeholroyd

Euro Car Parts £21.95 each for Bosch units

I replaced one on my 1.6 a few weeks ago, and bought a spare as well, but so far haven't needed it as the other 3 seem OK at the minute.

Mike

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I had two replaced by the previous owner before he sold the car to me, I've since replaced another one. I also have two more in the boot as spare. I didn't want to replace all five at the same time as it seems pointless to me. I just wait for them to fail and swap them out.

Witalik

ROTTERDAM FEYENOORD
Dec 28, 2008
Netherlands
yes can only be 4 :D

but insane price difference for you guys in the uk and here in the netherlands...

Also i bought the forge 007 DV in the uk here in the netherlands it costs 175 euro's... insane basterds

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise