2000 Leon Heater matrix

turboconnect

Hiya, new to forum, got a 2000 leon at te weekend, heater matrix gone, leaking out red fluid all over passenger well, I've ordered a new one from euro car parts decent price, managed to source a new heater blower and a company that repairs the blower motor resistor for about £20 - And started to remove the glove box, centre console and lower panels from drivers side................
Question lol. Has anyone done this before on here give me some pointers as to what and how to do it, can you remove the matrix from inside the car, or does it come out in the engine side of the car?
Does the full dash need to come out as all panels below the dash are now out, can clearly see and access most of the ducting?
Just need some advice really, bought the car as a little run around for the missus and no time limit yet so require the fix, she has a little car already, I have driveway so I don't need to put it all together each night and its secure - just some advice would be fantasic, someone on here must have attempted or done it easier?
Cheers in advance, Callum

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Whole dash needs to be taken out, then the heater box comes out (a/c will have to be drained etc) then the heater box is stripped down and the matrix replaced.

turboconnect

Heater Matrix

Someone has mentioned that you can do it without taking the whole dash out, that is most of it except the top part? One mad job isn't it to replace a matrix that cost £30??? You'd have thought they would have made a little opening in the engine bay that you could slide it out.... Is there a way to bypass the heater with the 2 little pipes in engine bay and just not have a heater? Its only for the wife lol

nick9one1

Feb 14, 2010
Grimsby
I think I have this exact problem on my 2000 Leon, although its not leaking as badly as yours.

you can bypass the in car heater matrix if you disconnect the pipes that go through the firewall behind the engine and connect them together with a 3/4? inch joiner.

turboconnect

Hiya Nick, Yes I was going to just bypass it, but the wife is moaning that she would be cold when driving the car, although with the amount of heat she generates when talking I don't see there being an issue really ( I didn't say that to her obviously!)

I have taken about 80% of the lower dash wiring etc out, about 3 hours work, I have a replacement Matrix, heater blower and the heater resistor, all available quite cheaply, as the leaking matrix has ruined all of them, if yours is starting to leak I would check these asap as they will get damaged - they are located under the dash on passenger side, you will find the resister thing in a pool of water, Also somehow I think all the controls etc for the electric windows and central locking etc are located probably just underneath where it'll be dripping under the carpet, again all prone to damage or your windows just opening up in the middle of the night in the rain! Try claiming that on the insurance when it gets pinched lol.

I have a local garage who because I've effectively done a lot of the hard work, he had quoted me about £450 to do the work, will now bridge the pipe so the car is drivable, and do the rest of the work and bring it back for about £150 as long as I put back on everything I've removed which isn't a problem for me. So you can get around the 7 or so hours they will quote you - I just don't have the time to do it as I've just started a small turbocharger remanufacturing business and expanding this month so it'll just stay on the drive until whenever.

Good luck with it though and double check the points above so your not letting the little leak cost you a fortune overall with the electrics - Regards Callum

nick9one1

Feb 14, 2010
Grimsby
Sounds like a big job.
I'm going to try bypassing mine today just to see if it stops the leaking. If it does I know for definite I need a new matrix.

My fans/resistor all seem to work, and as mine is leaking driver side hopefully they might not be damaged. Although if there is even the slightest water ingress I will replace them.

I will probably go down the same route as you and do as much myself as possible. Then get the garage to do the actual swapping/plumbing.

Can I ask where you got your parts from?
Euro car parts quote £32 for the matrix, £70 for the blower and don't have the resistor.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.