2002 Leon tdi s 90bhp

MOE16V

May 17, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
Hi guys I need some help. Im getting a good deal on a very good condition Leon s.
However I'm expecting the car to be quite sluggish, and need some ways of tuning to about 130 bhp which I'd b quie happy with.
I'm hoping to the remap route, but that alone won't get me 130 so need to think of other mods to accompany the remap.

Any info is much appreciated

Thanks

epts2008

rule the bends
Mar 19, 2009
Chelmsford, Essex
Try to find a turbo off a tdi 110 few around quite cheap then remap Difference between the tdi 90 and 110 is the 110 has a variable vane turbo and the 90 is fixed vane. I've got a tdi 110 which is running 118bhp with turbo back stainless inc decat. Also strip down your egr valve and intake manifold bout hours work and give it a good clean as they get very clogged up! Then egr blanking plates to keep clean. I have a spare egr/manifold off a golf gt tdi 110 im currently cleaning up to sell on makes a noticable difference.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
The chances are it's an ALH which has the same turbo as the 110, get yourself some bigger nozzles and a custom remap, 150bhp and 300ft/lbs of torque with that.

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
Try to find a turbo off a tdi 110 few around quite cheap then remap Difference between the tdi 90 and 110 is the 110 has a variable vane turbo and the 90 is fixed vane. I've got a tdi 110 which is running 118bhp with turbo back stainless inc decat. Also strip down your egr valve and intake manifold bout hours work and give it a good clean as they get very clogged up! Then egr blanking plates to keep clean. I have a spare egr/manifold off a golf gt tdi 110 im currently cleaning up to sell on makes a noticable difference.

What exhaust are you running ?

This is on my mod list

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
A 110 mani is the exact same part as the 90 lol, you want a PD one from a 130 or 150. Also you aren't anything like 118bhp unless you have bigger nozzles or a tune, an exhaust and a clean mani wont do that, might give you 5bhp at best.

Last edited:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
You can get 160 bhp and 381 Nm of torque from a 110 ASV tdi engine with a remap and 0.216 um nozzles. Really nice in gear acceleration. It also revs allot freer at 3000 rpm, less of a flat spot feeling.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
You can get 160 bhp and 381 Nm of torque from a 110 ASV tdi engine with a remap and 0.216 um nozzles. Really nice in gear acceleration. It also revs allot freer at 3000 rpm, less of a flat spot feeling.

You can get the same from the ALH too though, they both have the same turbo.

Best I've seen is 157bhp and 300ft/lbs of torque

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Mine actually had the evry mod in the form of a potentiometer between two wires in the fuel harness. I had taken it out thinking I was going to sell it then put it back in again and hadn't got it quite set up as it wasn't as quick as before. It rolling roaded at 158.7 bhp@ 3430 and 281.5 ftlbs @2745. The dyno op said the clutch was starting to slip on him. I think she was up over 160 bhp before I took tuning box out. I know there is variance in different rolling roads so at her best she was doing 0-60 in 7.5 sec and 0-100 in 20.5 sec and 42mpg all day every day with a fair bit of heavy right foot.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
To get over 160 though the car would have to smoking like a chimney fire lol, the turbo is just not big enough.

0 - 60 in 7.5 is a good improvement though, the standard 90 is 0 - 60 in about 13 seconds and about 11 seconds for the 110.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
@Pimped up Vario I was just thinking too, yours is the AHU in your cordy so unless you have a vnt conversion there's absolutely no chance you came even close to 160 lol, the standard one is good for about 130 tops but that's about it.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Yep, that 160bhp was in the leon I used to own. I want it back. It handled so well on standard suspension, arb, bushes etc. Only change was the toyo proxes t1s's. It was a little smokey, light grey I would say. You could tell when it came on boost. I was following the wife on my 1200 bandit and she bagged it in fifth gear and I opened the throttle in fifth gear and only passed her once I was doing about 120mph but you could see the puff of soot then she dissappeared up the motorway, the soot dies off when the turbos singing. The bandit did need the jets serviced and carbs sychronised. When I put the tuning box back in I put the resistors and stuff on a circuit board that had a short in it and it was asking the pump to fuel to much at idle, so much so that the ground was wet at the exhaust. I tell you it fairly snapped your head back until the ecu stepped in and cut the turbo back. I didn't run it like that on purpose I only found the short after. I wouldn't mind getting a turbo upgrade for my car eventually but I think the ahu engines can only take about 165 bhp before the heads start lifting. I'm not to sure what they could do if you done the head studs and got a copper head gasket machined for it. Just out of curiousity, when you put your golf on full lock at a stand still and observe what would be the wheel on the inside of the turn, does the top of the tyre appear to be leaning out/away from the car. Hope you don't mind me digressing. Thanks.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Nice thread, thanks. Do you know how to save it or do I have to suscribe to it? So it looks like a afn manifold and an arl turbo is on the cards, when I have the money. First I have to get this thing to handle before I spend a load of money on it.:(

mrannikk0

Nov 15, 2011
Finland
www.seatcupra.net
Nice thread, thanks. Do you know how to save it or do I have to suscribe to it? So it looks like a afn manifold and an arl turbo is on the cards, when I have the money. First I have to get this thing to handle before I spend a load of money on it.:(
Hey! By the way! Read my Smokey topic! You can take much more power and quite easy! In here in Finland one of my friend have quite fast Cordy! I think it have over 250-270hp too. Now maybe more.

Last edited:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Nice vario, it doesn't look like it's smoking to badly. I thought the limit 0f 0.216 um nossles was about 190bhp. That's good to know you can get over 200 bhp out of them. Only I sold mine with the leon. Didn't get time to get them out. Darn. Did yours seriously not have any internal engine work done for 200+bhp? The mate got pistons machined for his alh tdi (227bhp) but I don't know details. Cosworth and mahle both do pistons with high temp restistant coating but I think they are quite dear. My turbo has got some play end to end and laterally. Neither the turbine or compressor fins are touching the housing but it's close and I think oil is getting past the seals so a new one would be nice. Kerma does a k03/k04 hybrid but I was hopeing to get one built in the uk or do it myself if I found out what wheels to put together. In the meantime I will get a bigger fmic and set up a misting system and spraying into the manifold and try and cool the standard turbo as much as possible and take it up to 750 deg celcius. I'm already at 580 with the only mod being a decatted 2 1/4 inch exhaust.lol

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
It's not just the hole size though regarding nozzles but the way they can flow the fuel. You can have two nozzles with the exact same size holes but one will outdo the other due to the design.

mrannikk0

Nov 15, 2011
Finland
www.seatcupra.net
Nice vario, it doesn't look like it's smoking to badly. I thought the limit 0f 0.216 um nossles was about 190bhp. That's good to know you can get over 200 bhp out of them. Did yours seriously not have any internal engine work done for 200+bhp?

Well I need to remapping Ecu to optimize new bigger cooler and steeper camshaft. Also fuel pressure can be boost up too. And adjust higher RPM. Then its gonna smoke!! :) Now it's not smoking so badly because it have better air/fuel ratio with that bigger cooler.

If I need more power out off it I think next step will be bigger nozzles.
That camshaft and smoothly tuned cylinder head it's only what I have done now.
You can take 240-250hp out of it with out any bigger investment to engine.
But then You going to need some more cash! :D

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
The bosio nossles are alot better than the bosch ones aren't they? How much difference do the cams make to power output? Does it make power higher up the rev range or increase the volumetric flow capacity of the engine at increased rpms. It's all money isn't it?

mrannikk0

Nov 15, 2011
Finland
www.seatcupra.net
I don't know the difference between Bosio or Bosch.
Camshaft makes rev range much wider and also gives little more fuel/air flow to cylinder. Mixture can be changed totally with remapping.

One example in my Cordy had with old mods (old cam and cooler) some 5000rpm max. Now without remap it gives 5600rpm with steeper cam. After remapping it's possible to take 6300rpm at least. Maybe little more but... I think it's not reasonable with those mods what I have in my car now.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.