2003 TDi 110 (Toledo) Hesitancy over 3k rpm

xavierx

Dear forum members,

I have a 2003 Toledo TDi (110) SE with 97k on the clock.
Fully serviced and maintained (I have owned the car since the first service)

Recently (the last month) my car has started to show some hesitancy in accelerating at some point over 3k rpm.

The car is mainly used for motorway so it is not often that it goes above 3k rpm.

I've noticed it when accelerating hard in 3rd gear at some point over 3k rpm you feel a sudden drop in power. It does the same in 4th gear if I drop down to 4th on the motorway and accelerate hard for testing purposes. Does not feel noticeable in 2nd.

If this was a multi-cam engine then it would feel like the cam had just shifted, but over onto the wrong cam.

Low end power feels fine still, but it feels alot slower once you are over 3k and you feel the drop.

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance

xavierx

I don't think there is much differnece with the MAF disconneted.

Nope doesn't go into limp home mode, performance seems normal up till say 3200 rpm then it tails off quite quickly. You can still accellerate up to the red line, but it takes twice as long as normal

Many Thanks

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
sounds like i was getting in mine, pd150 mind, so stripped off egr and clogged up solid.
cleaning i hope will make her better!

was recommended to check for boost requested against actual as a log in vag-com, but my shareware version wouldn't allow it

fuel filter was also suggested and being done at next service

hope yours is resolved quick and if you could keep us updated would be appreciated

xavierx

Looking at pictures of other peoples EGR values with around 100k miles on the clock I think you might be onto something. Not sure if I fancy doing that myself so might ask an indie for a price. I'll have a look in the engine bay in the morning and see how easy it looks.

I will also have a look at pricing up a VAG-COM as I guess one of those will come in handy now I am into the high-mileage range.

Thanks

Luke

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
look at the various guides - i managed all ok and i'm thick as mud with this kinda work.
take your time and you'll be fine. would say about 90mins to remove it, but if you remove the pipe you can have a quick look at it with a torch and see if the asv plate does move or not and make decision on that

xavierx

Poor weather today so didn't get a chance to look at it. I've been out in the car on some hilly country roads and yep.... still the same .... plenty of power below 3000 rpm, but as soon as you get over 3000 rpm the power tails off and acceleration slows down to about half. I remember when the car felt nicely worn in about 30k miles and it used to surge all the way to the redline in any gear.

I might try some dielectric grease in the MAF plug as so many people have reported positive results from doing this.

Also I noticed on ebay some chineese VAG-COM leads for about £12 that work with the shareware version, but then there are some for around £45 that say they come with registered software, although it is an older version. Am I to assume that these are dodgy and wont work properly or are they ok?

Thanks and kind regards